Old 12-13-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Sanitary tank

Do folks use the 'blue stuff' in the sanitary tank to keep things in suspension?
Does it really work?

Which toilet paper?

To answer my own questions, Yes, I add the blue stuff after each time my tank is pumped "dry" or pump to sea.

I use the toilet paper from West Marine.

Now, I hope for more answers and ideally some comments.

Thank you.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:01 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Yes, I use the blue stuff and rely on simple Scott single ply paper purchased at any grocery store nearby. A Jabsco engineer recommended this TP to me and I agree with his findings...it's the same as the expensive West Marine or other brands labelled for RV or marine use.

I doubt the blue stuff does much for keeping particles in suspension but it keeps the odors at bay until the next pumpout. YMMV

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:22 PM   #3
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Research a product called Noflex. Single or 2 ply paper as long as the ply's are not glued together.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I use Sealand (Dometic) brand 2-ply Marine/Rv toilet paper. I don't care what Chandler I purchase it from. 1 ply vs two ply....I'm going to use the same amount. 2 ply means I need to peel less of the roll to the get the same amount of 'foldage/wadage' density. More accuratly I roll of twice as much per foot of material rolled off. I honestly think it works out to the same amount of material in the long run.

(I re-read above and I'm clarifying...1 foot of 2ply vs 2 feet of 1 ply is the same amount of TP).

I use the Sealand (Dometic) MAx Control Advanced Holding tank deoderizer. It is reported to breakdown waste, keep tanks and lines clean, and reduce odors. Again, I don't care which chandler I purchase from.

Take a wad of household toilet paper and dunk it into a bucket of water. See how long it takes to disintegrate.

Now do the same with Marine/RV TP. Which dissolves faster?

I use whatever breaks down the fastest in my marine plumbing. I've had very good luck with the Sealand products.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #5
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
IMO after living aboard several years, just buy the septic safe Scott's stuff from Sam's, Costco, wherever. That's all the "marine" paper is from what I could determine by briefly having both on board. We had Vacuflush toilets, so freshwater flush

Never saw the need for treating the tank, just made sure it was well vented. I suppose YMMV if saltwater flush.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #6
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Clifton View Post
Research a product called Noflex. Single or 2 ply paper as long as the ply's are not glued together.
Good think Gillette doesn't make the TP or we would suffer through the philosophy, like their products, the more blades the better. They would produce 3 or 4 ply TP. SMIRK

I have never found single ply at Publix
Old 12-13-2017, 03:31 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Noflex is great. If you have plenty of O2 in the tank then you can use Raritan KO. I also find that Odorlos is very good.

I am currently using Noflex and it has worked the best in my inadequately vented tank. I strongly suggest rinsing your tank a couple times after each pump out.

I am using a quilted two-ply TP by Cottonelle (sp?). I did a test of it in a jar of water. After 20 minutes of soaking, giving the jar a quick shake resulted in nothing but milky looking water.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:50 PM   #8

City: Albany, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Tranquility
Vessel Model: Trojan F32
I have been using Noflex for a number of years and I use 2 ply Berkley Jensen TP from BJ's or Scotts from the grocery store. Pretty much any 2 ply will be fine.
A good test with TP is put a few sheets in a glass of water and shake it up, if it falls apart really fast it is good to use on a boat or RV.
I have never had a clogged up line and after starting with Noflex have no odors.
Marine TP is a waste of money.
kenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:01 PM   #9
Guru

City: Sydney
We have used blue stuff green stuff Noflex expensive and hard to get here in Ozz and for the last 8 months we use that cheap concentrated fabric softener that's in a plastic tube about 200ml which you mix with 2 liters of water .It has been very good so far It coat about $1 and use one a week
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:44 PM   #10

City: Washington
I use Odorlos to control odors. It's available at marine stores and RV stores or on-line.

I use single ply "Scotts" brand toilet paper from any grocery store.

It's commonly called a "holding tank" not a "sanitary tank".
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:06 PM   #11
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Scott makes RV/marine tp that is available from Amazon and it's very inexpensive. Saw it once in a Walmart as well.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:57 AM   #12
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
For twenty years I used the West Marine single ply toilet paper and no chemicals on a liveaboard boat. Then we had to remove the tank for other maintenance. I pumped out then opened the inspection cap to flush the tank. It was completely empty. I use a filter vent for Oder mgmt. never had a clog issue with my vacuflush system.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:47 AM   #13
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
We used KO for about 15 years or maybe more... but more recently have switched to Noflex, mostly because "portion control" is easier, and maybe it turns out to be slightly less expensive because of that (less wastage). OTOH, we've never really had "head odor" issues, either before or after KO or Noflex, so mostly my goal with those is more about managing sludge build-up inside the holding tank.

Our preferred TP is Quilted Northern 2-ply. Charmin 2-ply if we must. No single-ply; sandpaper would be slightly more comfortable.

Believe there's another factor involved: the toilet and it's flushing mechanism. Ours is an electric Jabsco Quiet Flush freshwater unit and the macerator acts like it'll process 2x4s if asked to do so. Maybe anything that won't wrap around the axle, like cloth or something...

Anyway, the specific flushing mechanism is perhaps why some can use 2-ply papers and some shouldn't.

-Chris
Old 12-14-2017, 07:15 AM   #14
FF
Guru

The "blue stuff" is a poison that kills enough of the bugs that the waste tank wont stink.

This is OK to dump in a municipal sewerage , but very hard of a smaller septic system , where the poison kills what is happening in the septic tank, and eventually raw waste floods the field , requiring it replacement .

The use of blue goo in boats and RV is only needed for a poorly set up waste system.

By adding ventilation , say 2 inch lines and vent fitting, the stench is gone.

On eurocharter boats $10,000 a night+ they use a tiny aquarium sized air pump fed to the tank bottom to get rid of the stench of dozens of guests.

Blue goo should only be a last resort till the system is fixed.

One reason pump out stations are hard to find is blue goo failing septic systems , which are expensive to replace.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:18 AM   #15
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The "blue stuff" is a poison that kills enough of the bugs that the waste tank wont stink.

This is OK to dump in a municipal sewerage , but very hard of a smaller septic system , where the poison kills what is happening in the septic tank, and eventually raw waste floods the field , requiring it replacement .

The use of blue goo in boats and RV is only needed for a poorly set up waste system.

By adding ventilation , say 2 inch lines and vent fitting, the stench is gone.

On eurocharter boats $10,000 a night+ they use a tiny aquarium sized air pump fed to the tank bottom to get rid of the stench of dozens of guests.

Blue goo should only be a last resort till the system is fixed.

One reason pump out stations are hard to find is blue goo failing septic systems , which are expensive to replace.
+1
Air, air, and more air (circulation).
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Does Peggie Hall frequent this site? I know she is active on the sister site "Cruisers Forum". I have her book "Get Rid of Boat Odors" on my Christmas list. It would be interested in hearing her take on this thread.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:42 AM   #17
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Me thinks that Peggy (Head Mistress) would say fresh water flush, air, air and more air in the holding tank, plus Noflex or something similar to promote good bug growth
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:48 AM   #18
Guru

City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Does Peggie Hall frequent this site? I know she is active on the sister site "Cruisers Forum". I have her book "Get Rid of Boat Odors" on my Christmas list. It would be interested in hearing her take on this thread.

Peggie has “Goddess” status on this site as well.
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #19

City: Alexander
Once a year, one cup joy dish detergent, fill tank half full with salt water, go for a spin in some choppy water, flush. Super clean. Used to do it to shrimp boat fuel tanks to before going inside to weld leaks. Shiny shiny.
Sugardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:01 AM   #20

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sea Q
Vessel Model: Westport Mc Queen
Here is a boat owner that did a few tests with TP and how it broke down

http://littlecunningplan.com/2016/10...-with-science/

http://littlecunningplan.com/2016/12...-files-finale/

No problem getting Noflex down under
I know it is expensive but the freight and import duty's to Australia are deadly

Sewage Treatment - About Noflex Digestor - DunnyDoo

#1 on Peggie Hall new book "Get rid of Boat Odors #2"
Sea Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue stuff, sanitary tank, toilet paper