Old 05-25-2017, 07:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Chesapeake Region
Sandy Hook, NJ to Deale, MD

Looking for assistance to move my new to me Mainship 34 Mark 1 from the Sandy Hook, NJ area to her new slip in Deale, MD. I prefer not to make the trip single handed through unfamiliar waters and without assistance on board. The boat is in excellent condition and ready for the trip.
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:36 PM   #2
Guru

The doubters and the rest of critical left movement be damded but I too would be ultra supportive of any body being being of the belief that we are going to make this happe. You go 'girl"
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:46 PM   #3

City: Kent Island, MD
Vessel Name: Pineapple
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 Mark II
I do not know your experience level but if you're not comfortable with that trip (a good bit of offshore) I'd suggest hiring a delivery captain.
Gulfstar 36 MKII - 1976 - Work in progress
mixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
It isn't a bad trip if you watch the weather. We stayed 3 nights in Cape May due to bad weather when we brought our boat to Michigan last year. Just don't have a strict schedule.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:53 AM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Not sure that I would consider the trip "mostly offshore "as much of NJ has a passable ICW for a 34 Mainship.

The Delaware River up to the C$D Canal from Cape May can be the hardest pick of day/tide/weather. 2+ knots of foul current can almost double the time if your cruise speed is down near 6 knots. Plus the current can square up the waves to miserable if for than 15 knots of wind are opposing it.

The upper Chesapeake bay is usually not a big issue with places to anchor or keep moving depending on weather. The run from the Bay Bridge to Deal isn't far and where it can be tough weatherwise due to the bay width, but navigation is easy and in a bad easterly wind you can hug the eastern shore...but going into Herring Bay in a strong Easterly can be rolly polly as I just did that at the beginning of the month.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:06 AM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Did the trip the other way from Crisfield to Sandy Hook this month. It's fairly easy and straight forward if you're patient and wait for reasonable weather. If you have any questions, you can PM me.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:12 AM   #7
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Might be able to help, perhaps at least with the Chesapeake portion...

But then again my calendar is also seriously over-subscribed just now and will be for a good while longer... so I might only have available a day here or a day there...

PM me with your thoughts on timing, if you like...

-Chris
Old 05-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

-Chris
PM sent
Old 05-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

To all
I appreciate the responses. Much good info - and I am all ears.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:53 PM   #10
Guru

It has been some years but I did the trip many times when I lived on the East Coast. If you intend to go inside Enter at Manasquan inlet and go to Atlantic City then depending on weather in or out to Cape May from there you have to go out to Delaware and the C&D canal pick your weather for that leg. From there a piece of cake. Do not mess with the smaller Jersey coast inlets they are not friendly to strangers. Manasquan and Atlantic city and Cape may are ok in reasonable weather can bee pissy in storms or wind and current opposition.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:24 AM   #11
Guru

City: gulf coast
avoid ebb tide combined with onshore winds both in Delaware bay and inlets.

It is a wise person who asks for back up.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:28 AM   #12
FF
Guru

"Not sure that I would consider the trip "mostly offshore "as much of NJ has a passable ICW for a 34 Mainship."

The trip inside is a great way to see the NJ folks , and homes .Better than TV!

However it requires really good attention to the charts as you wind thru the mud and sand.

THe State Bird in NJ is the mosquito! Bring good ! bug spray .

Outside the slightly offshore trip to Atlantic City is fine in nice weather,
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:11 AM   #13
Guru

Everyone always says "to Alantic City"...

If that infers that the trip from Atlantic City northward is easier than from Cape May to Atlantic City, something happened when I wasn't looking.

Barnegat Bay isn't wide and deep till north of Barnegat Inlet. From Atlantic City northbound, Brigantine Wildlife area is just as narrow, shallow and crooked as to the south. Great Bay can be tricky, as can all of southern Barnegat Bay.

If one means just using Atlantic City (Absecon Inlet) as an offshore stopover, then yes, it is a good inlet with anchoring or dock as desired.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #14
Guru

I boated on the ICW so I found the inside route very reasonable slow and safe if you avoid grounding. The green fly's and mosquitoes can be really bad. In good weather outside with stops at the good inlets(Atlantic city and Cape May) is faster and easier in a well found boat. A buddy boat is a good idea if possible.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:13 PM   #15
Guru

The greenhead flys usually dont show up until the first really hot days in late June early July.

The mosquitoes are usually not too bsd on docks or anchored far enough from shore.

Gnats are miserable in May and Early June near wet mossy docks or bulkheads unless there is 5 knots of wind or more...kinda like the Georgia coast much of the year....at least late fall, early spring.

Outside is often faster....dont be afraid of Townsends inlet 15 miles north of Cape May if the Ocean gets rough or you want to exit if the weather abates.

There are some great little towns along the way if you do stay inside.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Great to have all this useful information -- the details are awesome. I remain all ears.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:14 PM   #17

City: SOMERS POINT, NJ
Vessel Name: SOJOURN
Vessel Model: SWIFT TRAWLER 44
Run from Sandy Hook to Cape May. We stay +/- mile off shore and use Barnaget Inlet buoy as a mid point. Stay off shore of the Little Egg buoy and then a direct run to Cape May. Any wind from the N or W is best.
Pick a marina in Cape May and check the wind vs tide. As most have said, the Delaware can be worse than the ocean. We leave Cape May based on the wind/tide if the wind is out of the South or North - so be careful. +/- 50 nm to the CD. After the CD the run on the Chesapeake should be not issues.
Good luck. ( We did the run up to NYC in a 34' Swift Trawler and no issues at all)
SOJOURN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:16 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

We ran from Cape May to AC. Then we went to Manasquan and spent a couple of days while my wife had an emergency appendectomy. Then the short run to NY. Coming down the Delaware Bay it was flat and beautiful. I didn't want the hassel of running the ICW but it is doable.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:29 AM   #19
Veteran Member

As I said on an earlier post - many thanks for all the input.
Here is the plan so far:

Departing Atlantic Highlands early Thursday with a delivery captain on board. He was recommended to me by a very knowledgable friend in the area, who also knows the particular boat I've purchased. He has 1 day (Thurs) available, so the plan is to make Atlantic City in daylight. He will leave the boat in Atlantic City.

I will plan the next leg of the trip based on how things go on the first leg, ergo how far we actually go on Day 1, how the boat performs, the captain's assessment of conditions, my own confidence level after that day, and weather, etc. etc. etc. I can choose to move the boat down to Cape May solo - or not.

I have spoken with another captain (also recommended) who is willing to come on board Sunday. He is available to assist on the Atlantic City (or Cape May) to the C&D Canal leg if needed.

All of the above subject to change as things unfold. I am very ok choosing go or no/go/stay put as things unfold. Looking forward to shoving off.

I remain all ears . . .
Old 05-30-2017, 08:46 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a good plan. Have fun.