Sandy - Aftermath

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Took these pics today at Morgan, NJ. KJ

Attachments

• MORGAN,NJ.1.JPG
    MORGAN,NJ.1.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 156
  • MORGAN,NJ.2.jpg
    MORGAN,NJ.2.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 148
  • MORGAN,NJ.3.jpg
    MORGAN,NJ.3.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 151
  • MORGAN,NJ.4.jpg
    MORGAN,NJ.4.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 147
  • MORGAN,NJ.5.jpg
    MORGAN,NJ.5.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 135
  • MORGAN,NJ.6.jpg
    MORGAN,NJ.6.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 136
  • MORGAN,NJ.7.jpg
    MORGAN,NJ.7.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 137
  • MORGAN,NJ.8.jpg
    MORGAN,NJ.8.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 139
  • MORGAN,NJ.9.jpg
    MORGAN,NJ.9.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 132
  • MORGAN,NJ.10.jpg
    MORGAN,NJ.10.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 137
This reminds me when I was in New Orleans just after Katrina.. it makes my heart sink.. it is just so sad.

Elwin

seriously, after the tornado that went through our marina this past spring, as Elwin said, it truly is sad and heart breaking to see! Praying for everyone up that way.

It's sad (even here along Mare Island Strait.)

img_110718_0_16d2ae9648876291315b6e8fdcac0cc0.jpg

We can only hope that nobody decided to stay on those boats to try to protect them.

Agreed, very sad and my heart goes out to the owners, even more so to those that lost family or friends or homes.

At the risk of sounding harsh though, I wonder if some of this damage could have been averted, there was a lot of water, but still, it was a cat one. This was not Andrew or Ivan. Most of those boats, at least from what I can tell from the pics, appeared to have had little or no storm prep.

Is some of this a case of Sandy hitting an area that just isn't used to tropical storms? We had snow that stuck for a few days in Tallahassee on December 23rd, 1989, the whole city was a mess, people had no idea what to do. There were cars in ditches all over the place.

Just asking a question, no offense intended to those who were harmed, my prayers go out to them.

I wasn't here when it hit, but from what the owners say, it wasn't just the wind (115mph), it was the 13 ft. surge that caused most of he damage. The wind direction shifted and pushed all the water into the bay. Coupled with high tide and a full moon, it was pretty devastating. The marinas went through Irene without any problems, so I think maybe being a "Monster Storm", there probably wasn't much more they could do to prepare.

The boat that is sunk in open water was trying to move into the marina during the storm and was swamped. The folks were able to get off safely. There is a barge out there now trying to lift it and remove it. KJ

Attachments

• SANDY.jpg
    SANDY.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 91
What happens to the insurance rates now? Do the people who took pains to protect their boats and avoided any damage get to pay for those owners who couldn't be bothered?

Of course, thank you for your contribution.

Do the people who took pains to protect their boats and avoided any damage get to pay for those owners who couldn't be bothered?

Isn't that the case in insurance as a whole? Those who need no claim, pay for those who do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom