Old 12-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #21
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Such a curfew is very dictatorial/fascist. Was this the result of liveaboards who don't appreciate marine sounds? Hope the curfew doesn't come north.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #22
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
I Love LA!!!

Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Such a curfew is very dictatorial/fascist. Was this the result of liveaboards who don't appreciate marine sounds? Hope the curfew doesn't come north.
The curfew isn't on boats. It's on airplanes. And it is to conform with a California law and to attempt to provide peace to homeowners in the area. Fascist? If you think that then pretty much every law would be. Most airports in residential areas have some form of curfew whether official or just agreed upon privately.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:45 PM   #24
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
More likely than not, the airports were there before the housing.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:47 PM   #25
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
There's no restrictions on arrivals which may be done anytime in 24 hours and this is only for the San Diego International Airport. And we all know planes make no noise upon landings. I do enjoy watching the big planes clear Banker Hill coming and going. That's some brave people who live in those homes.
Jets are loud. Probably explains why most of the wealthy people live over in La Jolla.

When Florida All Aboard starts running their 32 trains a day through Ft . Lauderdale we're going to wish Florida had a noise abatement commission as does California!
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #26
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
More likely than not, the airports were there before the housing.
Boats and shipping trump all in the "who was here first category".
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:29 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Laguna beach
Vessel Name: Stormy
Vessel Model: Grandbanks 46 europa
I'm from SoCal so traffic and crowds are a part of life here. Why do you think it's so crowded? The weather is awesome. No bugs. Bring your bikes. Stay either in San Diego harbor or mission bay or both. The downtown marina brings you close to a great district that is walkable or they have a great trawls system. Lots of restaurants,etc. Catalina, both avalon( very crowded) or the isthmus( very low key) are great options. Santa Barbara is a great place as well for everything you mentioned plus top notch wineries close by. All of the Channel Islands that are just off of the so cal coast are spectacular. The only inhabited one is Catalina,but san Clemente is very rugged and has great kayaking off pyramid cove. You need to check with the navy for any closures. Many choices. Be aware that this is not Florida and the water even in summer rarely gets above 70. Enjoy!
Gbonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:56 AM   #28
Opu
Veteran Member

City: Oceanside
Vessel Name: Cheers
Vessel Model: Bayliner 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post

She is a workout person, both on and off the water so thats why I, and she, was asking about the gym. We'll also be evaluating the local accessability of stand up paddleboarding, kyaking, and even PWC's if thats allowed.

We also have a couple of dogs, so thats important to her as well.
Oceanside is rather small (950 slips). A few restaurants and sidewalk places (superb fish & chips). Can be noisy - commuter trains running nearby. No gym that i know of. Best description may be "laid back". I've been there for three years and really enjoy it.

Check out Dana Point. Several restaurants, ~2500 slips, gym in the harbor, lots of SUP and PWC. 32nm to Avalon, 22 to Oceanside, 12 to Newport Beach. I berthed in DP for 20 years. I left because of harbor and County politics and turmoil and SUP/PWC, but that shouldn't affect you.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #29
Guru

Real estate giant Zillow, has just voted San Diego as the city with the "most pleasant" climate. With only 8" of rain a year and low humidity to go with the sunny skies it is indeed a pleasant climate.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #30
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
San Diego is pretty far from the islands but it's great for fishing. It's much better than LA where the water is cooler even though LA is only about 100 miles from SD.

I went there once and didn't like it. Lots of wake and speeding boats going in all directions and Sailboats that challenge you. There are resort marinas though and very nice ones at that.

Dana Point is great because it's a mix and very clean.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Laguna beach
Vessel Name: Stormy
Vessel Model: Grandbanks 46 europa
Another good spot is newport. Nice anchorage. All private boat harbor. Great for biking. Sup. Kayaks. Lots of restaurants to dinghy to. Better than the transient slips. Good yacht clubs to reciprocal with. No jet skis.

Gbonas is offline   Reply With Quote