Old 07-25-2017, 11:05 PM   #1
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2000 Camano 31'
Salon carpeting/ flybridge, cockpit options

Guys,

Im gonna replace my salon and v berth carpeting. Any good brands, types? Or is carpet, just carpet?

Im also thinking of doing a faux teak in the cockpit and flybridge. Ive used plasdeck in the past on my previous boat. I also used Lonseal. I actually preferred lonseal but that was for an interior application. I dont think lonseal is rated for outdoor use.

Anyone use SeaDek?

South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I'm at the carpet replacement stage as well

I was just going to go to Home Depot and pick a carpet the same color as fish blood.

www.boatparts4less.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:03 AM   #3

City: Oakley
Vessel Name: No Ship
Vessel Model: 1979 30' Californian
I just ordered Corinthian Marine Aqua Mat. They are out of Portland OR. I sent them plastic patterns and they are sending back the cut out carpet with Sunbrella binding. It has a rubber backing so it would be easy to remove and wash off outside, Google Corinthian and they will send samples and they have the options on their website.
Beers30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:24 AM   #4

City: Tasmania
Captain Cook, Ernest Shackelton and Joshua Slocum are having a good chuckle as they read this one.......and I wonder what Tristan Jones would say............

(no offence intended....)
stormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:33 AM   #5
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Most rubber backed carpet here on the East Coadt I have deslt with either stsins ir sticks to the fiberglass.

I specifically just buy the thin, indoor outdoor stuff as it is light, drains and driex quickly and never sticks. Is also eady to cut to size.

Many places will put a binding on it for not that much after you fit it to size.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:22 PM   #6
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
My Nordic Tug came with full carpeting (which would not be my choice), but I didn't have time to change it out before our current cruise. Primarily for protection from spills/water,etc. I bought some high-quality, low pile, wool blend commercial carpet through Home Depot (had to order it), cut it to shape, then put binding on it with my Sailrite sewing machine to act as area rugs over the carpet. I am incredibly impressed with how it has held up these last few months, especially with all the rain & wet weather in Alaska. It's non-skid, comfortable on bare feet, is a color that doesn't show dirt and is easily cleaned. I even accidentally dropped a little teak oil on it but it came right up and didn't stain. I'm now thinking that when I replace the original carpeting, I would do the whole boat with this same carpeting rather than the synthetic teak I was going to use.
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:09 AM   #7
Guru

City: South Florida
When replacing carpeting it's a good time to consider noise reducing products if you're over the engine room. Mass Loaded Vinyl or a Acoustic Carpet Underlayment is an easy way to get some noise reduction

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Ophelia
Vessel Name: Mary Jo
Vessel Model: 1984 Albin 27 FC
Just got the Infinity Vinyl Marine flooring for our pocket trawler. Pricey but very glad we got it. We have an old 1984 pocket trawler...this really helped update the look. We didn't have a very good experience with the company we got it from (delays in production / shipment and also gave us a thinner material than the sample). However, despite the thinner material we received, we are very happy with it. Waterproof, comfortable and stainproof! Haven't caught a lot of fish yet since we got it so no fish gut stains yet, but before I bought it, I stuck the samples in a glass of red wine and it didn't stain like carpet would!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1480.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	67126
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1485.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	67127Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1481.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	67128
Bearkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:13 AM   #9
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beers30 View Post
I just ordered Corinthian Marine Aqua Mat. They are out of Portland OR. I sent them plastic patterns and they are sending back the cut out carpet with Sunbrella binding. It has a rubber backing so it would be easy to remove and wash off outside, Google Corinthian and they will send samples and they have the options on their website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Most rubber backed carpet here on the East Coadt I have deslt with either stsins ir sticks to the fiberglass.

We have Corinthian, with the AquaLoc backing, on the bridge, in the cockpit, and also inside on the "wood" (Amtico) floors in the galley and head.

The original bridge and cockpit carpet came with some kind of black rubber backing, which started deteriorating at about the 3 year mark and which then also stuck to the fiberglass everywhere. I still have some small black spots on the bridge and in the cockpit, underneath the new carpet, that I tried lots of ways to get off... without perfect joy.

IOW, that stuff sucked.

Our Corinthian/AquaLoc, OTOH, is from early 2012, so far no sign of any deterioration at all, and the whole carpet looks pretty much like new... after I clean it from time to time with the electric power washer. Doesn't slide, either, so we seldom bother to snap it in... In fact, now I think of it, I never even bothered to install the snaps in the bridge segments.

Had to have some of the Sunbrella binding re-bound early this year, local fix, not a big deal.

-Chris
Old 07-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #10
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
That looks like nice stuff, nice website also. Our flybridge gets wet when it rains, it's teak, could you lay this on top of teak and be exposed to the weather I wonder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearkeley View Post
Just got the Infinity Vinyl Marine flooring for our pocket trawler. Pricey but very glad we got it. We have an old 1984 pocket trawler...this really helped update the look. We didn't have a very good experience with the company we got it from (delays in production / shipment and also gave us a thinner material than the sample). However, despite the thinner material we received, we are very happy with it. Waterproof, comfortable and stainproof! Haven't caught a lot of fish yet since we got it so no fish gut stains yet, but before I bought it, I stuck the samples in a glass of red wine and it didn't stain like carpet would!

Attachment 67126
Attachment 67127Attachment 67128
Old 08-03-2017, 11:04 PM   #11
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2000 Camano 31'
I decided on replacing the carpet with the same pattern and a slightly lighter color. It's getting installed tmmrow! Very excited.

Over the winter I'll look into options for my swim grid, cockpit and flying bridge.

Slow Lane
Camano for sale
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:10 AM   #12
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
We just replaced the carpet in our boat with Shaw Marine Carpet in our state rooms, salon, sundeck and fly bridge. We love it.

Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote