salca cutter & zinc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seadog1

Vessel Name
Sea Dog
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 34
Hello all, does anyone have any experience with the "SALCA" product, its a combination spur cutter & zinc, in reading description, seems to make sense & quite reasonable price. thank you. Andy

Welcome SD1. I had never heard of a SALCA so I had to look it up.
It's an interesting idea. I think the bypass cutters like the Spurs unit work better than the blade type line cutters but that's not to say the blade type don't work at all. Sounds like it would be cheap and easy to try. Let us know how it works.

Welcome SD1. I had never heard of a SALCA so I had to look it up.
It's an interesting idea. I think the bypass cutters like the Spurs unit work better than the blade type line cutters but that's not to say the blade type don't work at all. Sounds like it would be cheap and easy to try. Let us know how it works.

So am I to understand that the Spurs are better than the blade variety?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

That's just my impression. I've never used the blade type. I have had Spurs on my boat for over 25 years and never had to dive to clear the prop. The blade type may have worked as well but from what I've read, a slight advantage goes to Spurs type.

Interesting, I've been sitting on the fence as to which one's to buy. I've been afraid to ask for fear of starting another "A" thread.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

Hello all, does anyone have any experience with the "SALCA" product, its a combination spur cutter & zinc, in reading description, seems to make sense & quite reasonable price. thank you. Andy

The Salca zinc/line cutter only makes economic sense if you do not have room for both a permanently mounted line cutter and an anode, IMHO. Why replace the cutter every time you replace the zinc? Eventually you pass the break-even point and the Salca becomes the more expensive option.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom