Old 08-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Newburyport, MA
Vessel Name: Largo
Vessel Model: Fales Caribe 30
Sailor going Trawler for health reasons.

I can't do it anymore. I took a deposit on my 37 foot sloop that I have owned and cruised on the last 10 years. I am looking for a trawler, probably 30-36 feet. Single Diesel, for fuel economics. I am so new to this I am looking for recommendations. I want dependable with minimal outside wood to take care of. It seems that the Island Gypsies get good reviews, however I am on the east coast and find the selection scarce.

I would like to hear from anyone thats gone down my road, and get advice.

Thank you for all your help.

wndsnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
What is your budget range for $$$? I would give the Monk 36 a good look. I have a 1983 model for sale and while she does not have teak decks, her windows are trimmed in teak so you may want a newer model- late 1990's and 2000's basically have no exterior teak at all. The Mainship 350/390 is also a good alternative. Lots of boat for the money. There is a very affordably priced Island Gypsy 32 here in the classified section of these forums.
Let us know your budget and we can narrow down some options. Everyone here loves helping others spend their boating money!

Welcome to trawlerforum.

Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard Mr. w. (wndsnd is a bit too long for me to hunt and peck). You may be new to the "stinkpot" side of things but you already have 10 years before the mast.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I am thinking 60-80K, but I have no problem with a 35K boat!
Old 08-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Welcome aboard Mr. w. (wndsnd is a bit too long for me to hunt and peck). You may be new to the "stinkpot" side of things but you already have 10 years before the mast.
I have been on the water all my life but all sail. I cruise Massachusetts to Mount Desert Island yearly.

No need to hunt and peck. My name is John B. and wndsnd is short for Windsound which is on her way to a new home!

I appreciate the quick reply's and the help.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsong View Post
What is your budget range for $$$? I would give the Monk 36 a good look. I have a 1983 model for sale and while she does not have teak decks, her windows are trimmed in teak so you may want a newer model- late 1990's and 2000's basically have no exterior teak at all. The Mainship 350/390 is also a good alternative. Lots of boat for the money. There is a very affordably priced Island Gypsy 32 here in the classified section of these forums.
Let us know your budget and we can narrow down some options. Everyone here loves helping others spend their boating money!

Welcome to trawlerforum.

Your Monk is beautifull, but I am afraid out of my price range.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Hmmm...sloop John B.....
Old 08-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #8

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
We are sailors that moved on to power. When we had our 35' sloop we motored more than we sailed. Don't brush off the twins. We have 2 perkins 4-236 that will do hull speed sipping just over a gallon an hour each.
Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Salem Ma
Vessel Model: Pearson 303 For Sale!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wndsnd View Post
I am thinking 60-80K, but I have no problem with a 35K boat!
Plz let me know how you make out! I am doing the same thing in Salem - small world...
veprjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
...wndsnd is short for Windsound which is on her way to a new home!
Then I guess you're going to need a name change soon. The's little wind sound underway on our boats.

Maybe dlssnd? prknssnd? lhmnsnd?
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:39 PM   #11
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Lots of us went to the dark side on a budget. My vintage MT 34 cost me a little over $30k six years ago, complete with a thruster, working radar, AC, decent canvas, a genset, etc. Typically it'll run you another 10k to get one of these project boats insurable and ready for cruising, but I think there are lot of similar boats are out there that have good bones but likely with a bunch of cosmetic, electrical, and related issues. If you are handy, and don't mind getting your hands dirty, finding a trawler on the east coast should be a process of elimination, but there are many choices. Study the many threads here on the issues of leaky windows, teak decks, iron fuel tanks.. and good hunting!
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:32 AM   #12
FF
Guru

Like work?

many boats in FL are about 1/2 price compared to the rest of the US.

However they may need work from lack of maint.

If dirty hands are part of boating , you may find a deal.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #13
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
We changed from sail to trawler this year. Love our new boat. We do miss sailing a little. We plan on getting a sailing dink to take care of that though.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoss View Post
Lots of us went to the dark side on a budget. My vintage MT 34 cost me a little over $30k six years ago, complete with a thruster, working radar, AC, decent canvas, a genset, etc. Typically it'll run you another 10k to get one of these project boats insurable and ready for cruising, but I think there are lot of similar boats are out there that have good bones but likely with a bunch of cosmetic, electrical, and related issues. If you are handy, and don't mind getting your hands dirty, finding a trawler on the east coast should be a process of elimination, but there are many choices. Study the many threads here on the issues of leaky windows, teak decks, iron fuel tanks.. and good hunting!

Well I always expect to do some work, I am mechanically inclined and don't shy away, but that weing said, I am looking for the most complete and sorted out boat to start with. Working on a Trawler compared to my sloop where there was no room for anything will be a welcome relief.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #15

City: Hampstead,NC
Vessel Name: HoneyBadger
Vessel Model: 1990 Harkers Island Trawler Typical wooden hull with a Carolina flare and no deadrise at the stern
My very good friends Sold there 40ft Jeanue and Made the move,It gave them 30 inches more water to run in, Bridges 20 feet they can sneak under not just ones over 54 feet, But i will say there sail boat had a 85 hp Yanmar and it would run 7-9 mph at 2800 rpms, burn .7 gph at that speed. I motor sailed it and did 8 hours burning .44 gph. they have 3 times the room and you can get to the engine with out taking the boat apart. Pros and Cons they didnt get a faster boat but gained room for storage and fuel burn went up to about 1.5 Gph. So its a personal thing.
honeybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

City: -
You can definitely find a decent boat in the $60k-$80k range but it may not be exactly what you envision when you say "trawler." If it is, it will most likely be an older boat, perhaps one that needs a fair amount of work to bring it up to snuff, cosmetically if nothing else.

There are brands some don't consider at first when they start thinking about getting into "trawlering." Bayliner, Tollycraft, and Uniflite are three production boats that can provide one with a lot of good boat for the money. All three were made in the PNW so up here you trip over them every time you turn around, and there are lots of them for sale all the time with a wide variety of models and conditions to choose from. I don't know about their popularity, availability, and pricing in other parts of the country.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I have been asked, why Trawler? And, why single engine. Well for me in my initial learning curve here, I am thinking economics. It looks like 2 GPH is the magic number for economical cruising. I would be content with 7 knots, but what worries me is the single screw, small rudder control. If there is an other design to consider, I am open to it. I see sedan's listed, but am unsure what traits make it a sedan, or sedan trawler?

For this reason only, I would consider a twin. But, twice as many things to take care off and maintain.

I live in a very tidal, coastal area, with strong currents exceeding 4 knots on the flow. Being a sailor I am used to cruising on the hook, so the single screw should be adequate for that. I worry about the times I will need to dock, for fuel, water, repairs, in small Maine towns and not have the menuverability. Thank you for all your great comments.

I guess I need to hire a Captain to show me the ropes (lines!). It would be nice to be able to pay someone to take me out on a couple of set ups and teach me the pros and cons before I buy.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #18

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
I poked around Yachtworld last night and there are many 20-25 YO boats that fit your bill. I like the twins, yes more to deal with but you have a come home engine if something breaks. And the docking is totally awesome! Docking is nothing more than working the transmissions. Only quirky think I have to deal with is have 2 left-hand transmissions. You get used to it. I might be a hair over your 2GPH for my 4-236s but not much. Look around and you will find something. We did pretty well on our 37 year old Gulfstar and have clocked nearly 500 KM so far this summer with only a few minor issues.
Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #19
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
WNDSND -- sent you a Private Message. It should show up at the top right of this page under the TF banner after you log in.

Thanks,
DVD
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #20
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
I would be content with 7 knots, but what worries me is the single screw, small rudder control.
It's been my observation--- and it's certainly the case with GBs--- that single engine cruisers have rudders that are sized properly for the requirements of maneuverability. The rudder on a single-engine GB is considerably larger than either of the rudders on the twin-engine version of the same boat. We chartered a single engine GB36 before buying our own, which happened to be a twin. I didn't notice any difference in manerverability as far as the rudder(s) go between them.

The twin allows one to oppose prop thrust which lets you pivot the boat pretty much in its own length and do some other maneuvers in less time and using less space (sometimes) than doing the same maneuver in a single. And of course a bow thruster lets you do not only what you can do with a twin but some things you can't do with a twin.

But in terms of rudder authority, I don't think there's much difference usually between a single and twin engine version of the same boat. If you look at single-engine boats like Willards, Nordic Tugs, Krogens, Nordhavns, Victory Tugs, single-engine GBs, etc. I think you will see that their rudders are pretty large.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
entry, purchase, tips