Sailing vs. Trawlering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As to costs. If you actually travel with a sailboat the cost of replacing/maintaining the rigging and sails exceeds the cost of the diesel used by a full displacement trawler.

:thumb: Serious safe sailing is not cheap.

I guess we are lucky. I have to stop and pinch myself once in a while. I look around at the beautiful, well protected Charlotte Harbor and I say "I actually live here!"
I am in the closing process on a 2006 Mainship 34 Trawler. I expect to have many years of great cruising ahead of me. I will post pix as soon I get them.

I sailed for 30 yrs. Had a 25, 30, 38 ft. sailboats. I love sailing. If you go anywhere, you motor or at best motor sail. You can just go out for a nice day sail.
Once I made the switch to a trawler, the first thing I noticed is we actually use the boat more. I have a friend that has a philosophy, he MUST leave the dock at least 1 time each week. That's a great idea. We actually do that with a trawler, not so much with a sail boat. Not sure why?
This si my 2nd trawler. The 1st was a 27 Ranger Tug. Great boat, just a little too small for us. Plus we have no desire to trailer the boat. Now we have a Mainship 34 Trawler. Love this boat. I plan on cruising Charlotte Harbor and really enjoying ourselves.
I am not one of those "snobby type" sailors. I know a few. Once I went over to "the dark side". we were no longer included in a lot of club events. I joined a different club, great people, sailors, fishermen, trawler people, power cats, power boats. All boaters are welcome. Much much better,
I love being out there on the water, doesn't matter how.
KEEP ON KEEPIN ON

Molly,
We also live in PG (for the last 20 years) and sailed for almost 35 years. Last year, we sold our sailboat, and bought an Albin “Taiwanese Trawler”. It was the best move we ever made in boating. We joined The Mariners (a cruising club) met the greatest, most fun-loving boaters, and have used our trawler more in the last year than we did in 5 years on our sailboat. If you see Encore, an Albin 40 out anchored, stop by and we can swap stories.
Jim

Back
Top Bottom