Sailboat to trawler, but which trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Draft has been mentioned, and I'd give that close consideration since your plans are all what I would consider coastal cruising. Our Grand Banks draws just under 4' and can go pretty much anywhere including the ICW and all the canal systems (air draft is low enough too). In contrast, our Nordhavn draws just under 7'. That rules out parts of the ICW, and significant parts of the canal system (probably the best parts), and the air draft precludes the canals (great loop) without modifying the stack to hinge down.

We have used the Grand Banks for coastal cruising like you plan, and have run through the canals, ICW, and coast from Canada to the Bahamas. 95% of the time we run at displacement speed, but being able to wail on occasion is really handy. I concur with others that at slower speeds, we get the same fuel mileage as comparably sized displacement boats.

If I were going to continue with only coastal cruising, I would definitely stay with the Grand Banks to gain the extra flexibility afforded by small draft, both water and air.

By the way, my Grand Banks is for sale, hint, hint, hint.

IMO people often choose boats designed for the image of themselves they wish to portray rather than what they actually do. The macho button seems easily pushed when marketing " battle wagons" to sport fish buyers and the rugged passage maker button equally easily pushed to folks rarely venturing out of sight of land.

Nordhaves are marketed as ocean crossing vessels and have design features targeted at those requirements.

Coastal cruising and ICW and canal cruising OTOH has different requirements or at least doesn't have the requirements of long offshore passages.

To use the automobile analogy popular here it is possible to shop and take the kids to school in a Porsche but there are alternatives better suited to those purposes..

IMO buy a boat suited to what you actually do vs what you imagine. Given a choice few people seem to ignore weather when crossing to the Bahamas regardless of the type of boat they have. So does it really matter if you have 8' of freeboard on the bow and 6' draft?

really surprised that those lists don't include good wide access to foredeck, good sightlines to bow when seated and aft for docking.

Indeed. Another would be quick/easy access to side decks for single-handing. And so forth.

My earlier example was a very much shortened version, just to illustrate selection by features versus selection by make/model. My real list is much longer. And if I were shopping for a NEW build... it'd be maybe even ten times longer than that. :)

-Chris

Diesel Duck

No one mentioned the Ducks... Full displacement, fuel sipper, tough. Steel, with today's coatings and anti-corrosion systems is a whole new ball game than 20yrs ago. For the money mentioned, that would buy one hell of a Duck, huge with every bell and whistle imaginable. Semi-indestructible.

DeFevers have very good headroom and a large ER. Have to agree though on the N55. But not for the loop IMHO.

However, if your mission is the loop way too many boats to mention will work. Me - for that purpose (been there) an Eastbay or similar is the choice, but do check out Twisted's GB.

Perhaps I missed it but can somebody please tell me where the OP said anything about cruising the Loop or canal system?

New England to the islands crossing the stream does not sound like the Loop or canals to me. :confused:

Powercat Trawlers

Many years offshore sailing and off-and-on living aboard on a 50'+ sailboat, but with our two teen age crew off to college, and me not getting any younger, it is time to join you folks. A trawler looks to fit our plans best, with the wife and me living aboard and the extended family joining us on occasion. Travel will be from NE to Bahamas and Caribbean, with no extended offshore beyond an overnight passage here and there. Meanwhile, multiple stream crossings and the occasional Mona passage to keep things interesting. No need for speed, never had it to miss. But a boat that is somewhat overbuilt, and capable of even more than I intend to encounter, appeals to me. My wife wants a stable platform, both at sea and at anchor. and preferably 3 SR's. 3/4 time on the hook, with extended time off the grid in remote locales.

Side note: I am 6'5"+.

With that preamble, a short example list of used ($1M range) boats would be KK 52 or 58, Nordhavn 55, 57 or maybe even the 62, but fear crossing the 60' barrier would bring on some docking and mooring challenges. Have shied away from the semi-displacement boats, Fleming 55 for example, based on intended use and dislike for high fuel bills, but no strong aversion.

So is that enough info to get the discussion flowing? I would particularly like to hear from folks who have been on more than one of these boats and can compare and contrast. I appreciate your combined experience, since we have no significant power boat experience ourselves, so thanks in advance.

I think you need to consider a Powercat Trawler
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/powercat-trawlers-11299.html

...and particularly this one mentioned in the first 2 postings

Then take a look at where fuel prices are likely to go,...and the fuel usage of this vessel.
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s38/higher-fuel-prices-coming-15492.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments and suggestions: First off, Hi to Bay Pelican; we met in Rodney Bay in '10 and I think the wives got together for one of their liquid lunches.

Yes, coming from a LH, I like the idea of somewhat overbuilt. Last time we crossed the Mona, we waited a week for a decent window and still got slammed around. Bad enough in a LH, not sure what it would have been like in one of the boats we are discussing here. Traveling between Caribbean islands, our go-no go for the LH was 6' seas or higher, and sometimes I even got that wrong by a few feet. (never in my favor)

As to KK's, been on a 48, and it would do well, but for headroom. I could live with it, but uncomfortable. Few 3SR KK48's. My LH has more headroom in the saloon. Forget about the LH engine "room" however. Will check out the O.A's on line.

And N47 suggests the N55, which can do everything, but looks quite tall. And draws more than I would care for... Just the same, I could probably live with the N55 negatives. Some friends of mine recently sold their N55, so I will see what they have to say about it.

Greg the 55 draws about the same as your LH but the rudder is skeg hung and the prop is well protected. The 57 and 62 draw a little less. Headroom won't be a problem except for the stairways on any of these boats. The 57 has a big engine room, the 62 does not. The 55 can vary. The 57/62 are long legged passage makers straight out of the beebe mold. The 55 is a better condo. Hydraulics were an option on the 55 and added around ten percent to the cost. There are a lot of stairs on a 55 and the stairwells are on the narrow side (good in a seaway). The 57/62 will remind you more of the LH, the 55 has incredible space and volume for her waterline. As you know all boats are a compromise.

Via iPhone.

No one mentioned the Ducks... Full displacement, fuel sipper, tough. Steel, with today's coatings and anti-corrosion systems is a whole new ball game than 20yrs ago. For the money mentioned, that would buy one hell of a Duck, huge with every bell and whistle imaginable. Semi-indestructible.

You beat me to mentioning Diesel Ducks. :):thumb: Seahorse's website is, SEAHORSE MARINE

The 462 model has a sedan version as well as the pilot house only model.

Seahorse and George Buehler, the Diesel Duck designer, are working on a new Duck, a 492, that is three feet longer than the 462 model. The 462 is 51 LOA feet and the 492 will be 53 LOA. The 492 will have two state rooms, one aft and one forward with queen size beds.

The 492 is not mentioned on the Seahorse website but it was being discussed at the May Trawler Fest and the keel for hull #1 is being laid now/soon.

Later,
Dan

Side note: I am 6'5"+.

I forgot to mention that a design point on some of the larger Diesel Ducks is to try to keep 80 inches of height in the boat. Being 6.5 is going to be pushing 80 inches that is for sure.

One person getting a Duck is 6.2 and I think the only place he has a problem with height is the aft shower on the 462. I have heard that the aft shower height had been improved in the 492 model which also has a stand alone shower forward. Not sure of the height in that forward shower.

Later,
Dan

Would it be frowned upon to subvert this thread using a witty quip in the neighborhood of converting from the sophistication of a snooty white wine drunk from plastic cups poured out of a box?

After all, there is a huge social jump, even into a trawler. Are you prepared to change your registered party? What about having to learn the navigation rules? Truly, there is a lot to prepare for, the least of which is the choice of vessel.

:)

Will have to lose the hat and shave the beard too. And start tipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

thanks,
I think both the 57 and the 62 came with a bulbous bow, but PAI has moved away. mixed reviews on them.
sounds like you are less enamored w the 55, despite the living space. I am not fond of stairs.

Back
Top Bottom