Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #1
City: Gimli Manitoba
Vessel Name: Daydream
Vessel Model: Hershine 37 twin cabin
Sail plan for San Diego to Vancouver BC

I 'm looking for a sail plan from San Diego to Vancouver BC. I have a 37 Hershine would anyone like to share how they did this trip. I'm looking to make the trip in 2015 .

Mark Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:47 PM   #2
City: Somewhere
Alaskan Sea-Duction brought his boat up from S.F. I believe to Portland, Or area.
nmuir, Another boat member brought his from Ca. to Van, B.C.

Both are T.F. members and may not mind you contacting them. You can Do it through T.F. but also look up their threads.

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:48 AM   #3
City: Everett
Vessel Name: SPIRIT BEAR
Vessel Model: PACIFIC TRAWLER 40
Hi Mark,

I'm somewhat surprised that there aren't more responses to your posting. But be aware you are asking a seemingly simple, but really quite complex question. As a veteran of many such passages, I'm happy to respond, but must ask a few questions in return.

a. What are your personal expectations for the trip? Are you on a tight schedule, and desire to do a delivery in as short a time as possible? Or do you want to "day-trip" and cruise the coast as you head north?
b. What is the experience level of you and your crew? This isn't an offshore passage, but a somewhat challenging coastal passage that has some special challenges for the uninitiated.
c. What is the condition of the boat? Are you confident in it's equipment and condition to face what can be challenging navigational and environmental conditions?

You're wise to plan ahead for a 2015 trip. Lots to consider, lots to think about. But the trip's been made many, many, many times by lots of different skippers, crews, and boats. Quite likely an easy-peasy trip, but also possibly a horrible experience. Hopefully, I can help in the easy-peasy part.

jungpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #4
City: Olympia, WA
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47
Originally Posted by Mark Snow View Post
I 'm looking for a sail plan from San Diego to Vancouver BC. I have a 37 Hershine would anyone like to share how they did this trip. I'm looking to make the trip in 2015 .
Hi Mark,

I made the run from San Francisco to Seattle/Tacoma in June of last year. We watched the weather at Cape Mendocino and headed North in time to catch calm conditions at the Cape (which meant leaving SFO at the tale end of a storm). With decent weather and good range, we ran 24x7, taking 5.5 days to make the trip.

There are a few more details in the first two posts here. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions?
Scott (Boydski) Boyd
Yes Please, Grand Banks Eastbay
Sea Eagle, Nordhavn 47 (sold)
Boydski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
TF Site Team
City: Friday Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Mark: We've done the trip twice but in the reverse direction. Seasonal timing is important and also patience. How much time do you have? There are some great stops and good fishing along the way.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #6
City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
I'm another who made the trip from north to south. We didn't run 24/7, deciding to hole up in ports rather than run at night. With a couple of days of weather delays, it took us 9 days to make that trip.

Here's a link to my thread if you're interested. Journey of a Lifetime

If you have any specific questions, fire away.
Mike and Tina
Beachcomber 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
GFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #7
City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Jungpeter's comments are right on.

There are many threads on TF about this subject. Kevin Saunders, Alaska Seduction, GFC are a few with some later tales to read. Weather routers, offshore buoys, time of year, fuel capacity, desire or non desire to do 24/7, bar knowledge etc all are relevant topics to raise.

But skipper and crew knowledge and experience, real (not imaginary) soundness of vessel and time available are to me the trump cards that seldom get conveyed in postings.

Me, I'd find an experienced friend or two and take off for a few day trips "outside" to test your vessel, stomach and sea legs. A trip around the Farallons or Catalina is a good start. Get some night operating experience too. Plan on two weeks assuming you start out in good weather, longer if you sight see.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote