Sail plan for San Diego to Vancouver BC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Snow

Vessel Name
Daydream
Vessel Make
Hershine 37 twin cabin
I 'm looking for a sail plan from San Diego to Vancouver BC. I have a 37 Hershine would anyone like to share how they did this trip. I'm looking to make the trip in 2015 .

Alaskan Sea-Duction brought his boat up from S.F. I believe to Portland, Or area.
nmuir, Another boat member brought his from Ca. to Van, B.C.

Both are T.F. members and may not mind you contacting them. You can Do it through T.F. but also look up their threads.

Hi Mark,

I'm somewhat surprised that there aren't more responses to your posting. But be aware you are asking a seemingly simple, but really quite complex question. As a veteran of many such passages, I'm happy to respond, but must ask a few questions in return.

a. What are your personal expectations for the trip? Are you on a tight schedule, and desire to do a delivery in as short a time as possible? Or do you want to "day-trip" and cruise the coast as you head north?
b. What is the experience level of you and your crew? This isn't an offshore passage, but a somewhat challenging coastal passage that has some special challenges for the uninitiated.
c. What is the condition of the boat? Are you confident in it's equipment and condition to face what can be challenging navigational and environmental conditions?

You're wise to plan ahead for a 2015 trip. Lots to consider, lots to think about. But the trip's been made many, many, many times by lots of different skippers, crews, and boats. Quite likely an easy-peasy trip, but also possibly a horrible experience. Hopefully, I can help in the easy-peasy part.

Regards,

Pete

I 'm looking for a sail plan from San Diego to Vancouver BC. I have a 37 Hershine would anyone like to share how they did this trip. I'm looking to make the trip in 2015 .

Hi Mark,

I made the run from San Francisco to Seattle/Tacoma in June of last year. We watched the weather at Cape Mendocino and headed North in time to catch calm conditions at the Cape (which meant leaving SFO at the tale end of a storm). With decent weather and good range, we ran 24x7, taking 5.5 days to make the trip.

There are a few more details in the first two posts here. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions?

Mark: We've done the trip twice but in the reverse direction. Seasonal timing is important and also patience. How much time do you have? There are some great stops and good fishing along the way. :)

Jungpeter's comments are right on.

There are many threads on TF about this subject. Kevin Saunders, Alaska Seduction, GFC are a few with some later tales to read. Weather routers, offshore buoys, time of year, fuel capacity, desire or non desire to do 24/7, bar knowledge etc all are relevant topics to raise.

But skipper and crew knowledge and experience, real (not imaginary) soundness of vessel and time available are to me the trump cards that seldom get conveyed in postings.

Me, I'd find an experienced friend or two and take off for a few day trips "outside" to test your vessel, stomach and sea legs. A trip around the Farallons or Catalina is a good start. Get some night operating experience too. Plan on two weeks assuming you start out in good weather, longer if you sight see.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom