Sagging floor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fotoman

Guru
The floor in my saloon is sagging by a few inches. Nothing major but just enough so it now touches the engine a little when someone walks over it. I'm thinking of installing a couple of jackposts under the beams to raise it back to its position. Has any of you experience the same problem?

superdiver wrote:
I would think a couple of Jack post and maybe a very small I beam (like a 1 inch piece) going across would do the trick...?
*Yes, that is pretty much what I had in mind.

The carlings, or the fore and aft members that run alongside the hatch may also need to be restructured.

That is more than likely where the sag is coming from.

You can support them with a post but it could just be another thing in the way in the E.R.

better to jack them up and sister another carling beside them. If you can get to them.

SD

Actually that is exactly the source of the problem. I don't mind having a couple of posts in the ER as I removed the old tanks and have plenty of place now. But I will see if I can solidify the structure once it's jacked.

how about bolting a lengh of angle iron on it that is what i did and it worked fine

yep.* The port side of our salon sagged due to time and lack of sufficient*support when built as well as the weight of the sofa and PO's.* I installed two screw jacks I bought from Home depot mounted on the port stringer with a length of aluminum I beam I bought from online metals dot com and it works like a champ.* If you want photos, pm me with your email and Saturday when we go to the boat I will be happy to take a couple of pictures for you.
smile.gif

Fotoman wrote:
The floor in my saloon is sagging by a few inches. Nothing major but just enough so it now touches the engine a little when someone walks over it. I'm thinking of installing a couple of jackposts under the beams to raise it back to its position. Has any of you experience the same problem?
*Well....glaarry be - that's one issue I don't have with my 36 yr old CHB 34.* Floors still as sound as the day they were installed or so they feel.* Damn - probably jinxed them now.....

Skipper Dude, Capt Jerry, and others
The solutions you offered may not be the ones Fotoman is looking for- but it sure shows the thinking talent onboard. Very creative!!

Ditto Skipperdude. Jack up and sister the new carlings with screws and epoxy.

I would rip some 1/2 inch marine plywood to match the existing dimension and laminate 3 or 4 pieces together with epoxy to make the sister piece 3/4 or 1 inch depending on the span and spacing.

Chip

Wood would work. I like the idea of the angle iron. About a 3" angle of even aluminum

Iron would be cheaper and if painted, being below deck it shouldn't rust to much.

SD*

Back
Top Bottom