safety management systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Bill, I had a look at that but it does not really cover commercial boats, I may just buy one of the ocean time marine ones. Thanks for the reply just the same. It's very time consuming getting this right!

Hey trawlerman. Not sure about oz but I suspect it is worse than NZ when I was trying to do the same under the SSM system. Bureaucracy will make us safe eh? I suggest sucking up the bucks and paying for a pro forma system to start with. You will still need to do a hazard ID specific to your boat but that is often a good exercise and lets you see hazards you have been blind to before.

Hey nightcap. I am familiar with the NZ MOSS system as well. I have in fact just purchased the Ocean Time Marine template, it took me and the Mrs about 2 hours to complete. Looks good. Plenty of info on the website. They emailed me a risk assessment example and a bunch of other stuff. I'd recommended it as it saved me time.
Your correct Nightcap, does Bureaucracy make me safer? I have been fishing for 35 years now! I'm still here!

That's right, I forgot it is MOSS now. What's that, about 4 different systems in 20 years? Notwithstanding the QMS.

All these Safety Management Systems are just the ISM code watered down. Just reading on the Ocean Time website says "it's written in an acceptable format for regulators such as NZ maritime" so that could be the answer for you.....

Ha, you're on to it. An industry within an industry. MNZ in NZ used to be great but they have lost the plot since the old school guys have been put out to pasture and the "managers" have been put in power.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom