Old 01-19-2020, 08:29 PM   #81
Guru

City: Deltaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
We're off to the Antarctic spring of 21. Considering Patagonia and maybe the Falklands at the same time. All as part of out Seven Continent Retirement Plan!

Seriously looking forward to it.
Spring, ours or the southern hemisphere's? Most tour trips to Antarctica are in their summer, i.e. Nov-Feb. earlier you have more snow, later you have more young animals, either way it's unforgettable.

I've been to the Falklands, and South Georgia, both well worth it, but especially the latter.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:35 PM   #82
Guru

City: Deltaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificBlue View Post
I still have a rather large collection of boating related magazines on a storage rack system in the garage, something like 225 boxes, I hate to admit. Not sure what I will ultimately do with them, looking at scanners and book binder cutters to possibly make an electronic library efficiently.

One thing that strikes me is the dumbing down of articles from the past. In the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s there were plenty of technical articles in Yachting, Motor Boating & Sailing, and Sea magazine. Plenty of technical content, engineering numbers and calculations on a wide range of topics. It is almost like today’s publishing climate has elected to believe that readers are too “dumb” in general to have content like this, outside if PBB.

The types of sailing, seakeeping, powering, structures and navigation articles in the most commonly read marine magazines were far superior back then and I have to ask the question , why? And why not go back to that model?
That's a very good observation and I agree entirely, pick up an issue of one of those mags, even from the 30s and 40s, and to me they seem far more sophisticated. What's changed, the readers, the authors or both?
Old 01-20-2020, 07:06 PM   #83
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DAntonio View Post
Spring, ours or the southern hemisphere's? Most tour trips to Antarctica are in their summer, i.e. Nov-Feb. earlier you have more snow, later you have more young animals, either way it's unforgettable.

I've been to the Falklands, and South Georgia, both well worth it, but especially the latter.
Jan-Feb 2021. South America was already planned and booked for this year.

Surprisingly I thought I would have to get in early as I heard it was getting quite popular. So before Christmas I went online and started to the research. Not only were there no schedules out yet for Spring 2021, but the 2020 cruises were still selling. I guess it is still a niche trip.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:55 PM   #84

City: Kingston Ontario
Vessel Name: On The EdJ
Vessel Model: Former 390 owner now Sundancer 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
I have been a subscriber for 19 years, but will not be renewing when this one runs out. I don't think I have opened the last four or five, though the missus flicks through them. They have become so thin as to basically be one big ad.

I guess with all of the on-line options including forums like this one their time has passed.

This could not be summed up better than by this morning's FaceBook post from PassageMaker.

"Great Loopers can drop anchor at new state-of-the-art marina in 2021 in the Windy City."

Drop anchor? Really?

I have about 110 back copies on my office shelf that I will recycle. If anyone is passing through JAX and wants them let me know.
Unfortunatley I will not be able to 'not' read PM any more - as when I renewed there default renew was 3 years and I did not pick up on it until it was to late not good business practise in my opinion. but won't be renewing in the future if they are still around.
Cartouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:34 AM   #85
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Another annoyance I have is with them and others, their emails. Seems to me when publications send you emails initially they are mostly content with perhaps an ad at the bottom. Then they turn into advertisement only. Now, being subscribed to Passagemaker, gets you one advertising email after another. I love Waterway Guide and they provide good content, but I see a small movement in them to more ads vs. content and I just hope they manage to keep a good balance.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:08 AM   #86
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I have been considering a subscription to Pacific Yachting, and are interested in your opinion. Do you feel you are getting good value for your $$?

I like and subscribe to Pacific Yachting and read most but not all of the articles. I've stopped reading about sailboats, their races, and anything sailboat hardware and support. It's just not me in my early 70's. As mentioned by another here, the local knowledge is great, local being Seattle and above into Alaska. The little gunkholes one can access but first you need to know about them, abounds in articles in PY.

I have copied and pasted the following and will comment:

How big is a big boat?
If your dreaming of a 50 footer - That's BIG! - You might want to think again.
According to USCG statistics - of all the more than 12 plus million pleasure boats registered in the United States, fewer than 1% are 40 feet or
longer. Of those over 40 feet less than 1% (thats 1 in 10,000) of them reach 48 feet.

My problem with PY is that it reviews too many large boats, far out of proportion to the reality of boaters in our region. They do have a small boat issue but I feel there should be more an emphasis on "starter boats" accessible to would be cruisers.

I just blanked out on the name of the mag out of England that deals only with used boats with used boat reviews, and issues related to owning, repairing, saving these boats. In one study done in the early 2000's, the magazine found the average sailboat in E. was 24 feet long. So their emphasis is on boats roughly 22 to 35 feet long, rarely larger. I think this kind of thinking is bang on with the reality of the boating community here.

When I read the back page of PY, the humour section of incidents happening, invariably the person or family is on a Catalina 27 or a C&C 24 or the like. Yet when you read the boating reviews it a major emphasis on 40 feet and above. This to me feels like they are ignoring the reality of the boating community in our coastal living.

All that said, I still look forward to a new PY magazine when it arrives.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:55 PM   #87
Guru

City: Vermont
I think those stats are really meaningless. Sure, overall a 50’ bot may be huge. But for a trawler doing trawler things, I’d guess it’s just a bit above average, and not at all off target for the mission
Old 01-23-2020, 05:22 PM   #88
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Would be interesting to learn what percentage of our membership have 50+ ft trawlers/boats.
If it is discovered, the majority of the membership have 40ft+/- used boats then we should search for a publication that addresses maintenance issues perhaps even machinery specific ie, main engine makers, generator makers, then the smaller physical equipment onboard.
Sadly, I do not believe the publication would last long.
Magazines must make a profit to remain in business. If the publication cannot make a profit via subscriptions, leaves two options. Increase the cost of advertising or add more advertising. Advertisers will not stay if they perceive their product is being badmouthed or do not see an increase sales. Of course when the readers perceive the space for advertisers exceed the space devoted to quality articles, readership may die off too.
So we see, it is a delicate balance ....
....... Just my option......
Old 01-23-2020, 05:37 PM   #89
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Would be interesting to learn what percentage of our membership have 50+ ft trawlers/boats.
If it is discovered, the majority of the membership have 40ft+/- used boats then we should search for a publication that addresses maintenance issues perhaps even machinery specific ie, main engine makers, generator makers, then the smaller physical equipment onboard.
Magazines must make a profit to remain in business. If the publication cannot make a profit via subscriptions, leaves two options. Increase the cost of advertising or add more advertising. Advertisers will not stay if they perceive their product is being badmouthed or do not see an increase sales. Of course when the readers perceive the space for advertisers exceed the space devoted to quality articles, readership may die off too.

My guess would be 40’ as the mean. But very interested to see actual number. Care to start a poll?
Old 01-23-2020, 05:45 PM   #90
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
To be accurate you would need to exclude any open boats, from daysailers to center consoles.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:06 PM   #91
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
My guess would be 40’ as the mean. But very interested to see actual number. Care to start a poll?
Okay, you write the question, monitor the pole, post it and we will vote. LOL
Old 01-23-2020, 06:07 PM   #92
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
To be accurate you would need to exclude any open boats, from daysailers to center consoles.
Getting confusing already. 25ft to 40?
Old 01-23-2020, 06:13 PM   #93
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
"Care to start a poll?"

I like Poles...

Old 01-23-2020, 06:40 PM   #94
Guru

Quote:
Okay, you write the question, monitor the pole, post it and we will vote. LOL
Wifey B: I started the requested poll. I'm not, however, intending to monitor any poles-not telephone poles, not the North or South pole, not Polish people, not even that pole some are told what they can do with.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:53 PM   #95
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Ms. WB. NO kiss for YOU!!
Old 01-23-2020, 06:55 PM   #96
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I started the requested poll. I'm not, however, intending to monitor any poles-not telephone poles, not the North or South pole, not Polish people, not even that pole some are told what they can do with.
Must be a delay in posting the poll/pole/etc because I cant find it SHRUG
Old 01-23-2020, 08:15 PM   #97
Guru

Quote:
Must be a delay in posting the poll/pole/etc because I cant find it SHRUG
Wifey B: Only delay is you.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...rse-48746.html
Old 01-24-2020, 12:39 AM   #98
Guru

The 'largest boat' or current boat.
Is that documented length, WLL or OAL?
Gosh, I'm a pain in the butt. LOL
I will use my current boat documented length ie 'no swim platform length.'

I will point out, my N46....was 46.5 ft long and then I added a 3 foot swim platform.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:20 AM   #99

City: Offshore
Quote:

Maybe an, affordable to run, online magazine that caters every month to: 30-40’; 40-50’; 50-60’ etc. boat/machinery/opts articles/reviews.
Nickair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:23 AM   #100
FF
Guru

"What's changed, the readers, the authors or both?

In past decades "social promotions " were seldom granted .

Today in many large cities high skool "graduates" cant read their diploma!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote