Old 07-08-2017, 10:42 PM   #1

City: Snohomish, WA
Vessel Name: NautiBeaver
Vessel Model: Nordlund 68'
Sad day for someone. Everett Fire

They seem to have it under control, but looked badClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3683.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	66527

nautibeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:47 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Photos and information here.

https://patch.com/washington/edmonds...everett-marina

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:15 AM   #3
Guru

Five boats lost.
Bruce

https://myeverettnews.com/2017/07/08...t-marina-fire/
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:36 AM   #4
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Horrible, just horrible.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:05 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Horrible, just horrible.
As I was looking for information about the fire last night, I found one story that had a short video of the boats on fire. It was incredibly sobering to see.
It was just taken by someone with their camera phone and the perspective was wrong but did convey the ferocity of the fire.
Horrible is the word...
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:19 AM   #6

City: Green Cove Springs,FL
Vessel Name: No Destination
Vessel Model: 1972 GulfStar Trawler 36
I know the feeling and sorry for those that lost their boats.
nodestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:37 AM   #7
Guru

I'm very relieved to see no lives lost and no serious injuries.

A question I toss out is "Would you be willing to pay slightly more for dockage at a marina that had a pump and had fire hoses on all docks?"
Old 07-09-2017, 10:48 AM   #8
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

A question I toss out is "Would you be willing to pay slightly more for dockage at a marina that had a pump and had fire hoses on all docks?"
Interesting you say that...one of the Yacht Clubs we frequent was required by their Insurance company to supply 4" headers for the fire department at the beginning of each dock segment. Cost them a bundle. Surprisingly the number of docks is not that large maybe 150 boats.

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:57 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
Interesting you say that...one of the Yacht Clubs we frequent was required by their Insurance company to supply 4" headers for the fire department at the beginning of each dock segment. Cost them a bundle. Surprisingly the number of docks is not that large maybe 150 boats.
Well, it just seems a bit strange to me that docks are located on water, yet have no water supplied to them for fighting fires. I will make an observation here too that the PNW sure seems to have more than their share of marina fires.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:01 PM   #10
Guru

City: ??
Vessel Name: ??
Vessel Model: ??
OUr small marina and the club I used to belong to installed a large supply pipe on their own a bunch of years ago. It was meant to be supplied by the fire department from the nearest hydrant or the pumper truck running a steel main down to the head of each branch from the main dock. Still left some distances but cut off a huge level of hoses needed. Then the fire dept. would use hoses to fill in the rest of the way.

Thank heaven has not been needed.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:08 PM   #11
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Well, it just seems a bit strange to me that docks are located on water, yet have no water supplied to them for fighting fires. I will make an observation here too that the PNW sure seems to have more than their share of marina fires.

Our marina does have fire hose connections on the docks. Our marina is a condominium however. It may be that we as individual owners are more willing/able to pay for that and a private marina? I am not sure as I have only been here for 6 years.

There certainly have been a number of marina fires in the PNW. Not sure why.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
OUr small marina and the club I used to belong to installed a large supply pipe on their own a bunch of years ago. It was meant to be supplied by the fire department from the nearest hydrant or the pumper truck running a steel main down to the head of each branch from the main dock. Still left some distances but cut off a huge level of hoses needed. Then the fire dept. would use hoses to fill in the rest of the way.

Thank heaven has not been needed.
Why not put in their own pump though? Not like there is a shortage of water at the docks.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:05 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Why not put in their own pump though? Not like there is a shortage of water at the docks.

Good question.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-09-2017, 04:25 PM   #14

City: Houston
Maybe there's more heaters running in the PNW? More liveaboards? Are there a lot of smaller boats in slips, with gas engines?
CDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:30 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDreamer View Post
Maybe there's more heaters running in the PNW? More liveaboards? Are there a lot of smaller boats in slips, with gas engines?
All of the above could be possible. I know that our marina is very strict about the type of heaters that can be left on an unattended boat.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-09-2017, 06:01 PM   #16
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Wonder how long it takes the crew to assemble to take the fire boat out. A fire house is about six blocks away.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:24 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:

Sad losses for sure. Maybe not all PNW marina's are strict enough regarding unattended heating methods. Also, maybe a case to have liveaboards scattered throughout, as they could raise the alarm earlier and move adjoining boats out of harms way.

I'm surprised at the question about paying more for places with fire hoses. Down here AFAIK its a mandatory condition of the marina head lease or approval permit. My own finger with just 12 slips has a fire hose at the first berth and another at the outermost berth, as well as a header where the finger meets the shore.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:01 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Sad losses for sure. Maybe not all PNW marina's are strict enough regarding unattended heating methods. Also, maybe a case to have liveaboards scattered throughout, as they could raise the alarm earlier and move adjoining boats out of harms way.

I'm surprised at the question about paying more for places with fire hoses. Down here AFAIK its a mandatory condition of the marina head lease or approval permit. My own finger with just 12 slips has a fire hose at the first berth and another at the outermost berth, as well as a header where the finger meets the shore.
The city of Fort Lauderdale has a fire boat. Fire Station #49 is located on the water and it's staffed 24/7/365 with a minimum of 5 people at all times.

I think we're talking several different things on fire hoses.

-the marina having a fire hose or hoses, which can be anywhere.
-having hoses on the docks
-having pumps and hoses located on the docks, self sufficient and not dependent on fire trucks or city water
Old 07-09-2017, 07:43 PM   #19

City: Puget Sound
When we rebuilt the marina after a fire destroyed it 12 years ago. The fire prevention in the new marina includes a dry stand pipe that has outlets at the base of the dock and every 150 ft and at the end of the dock. This pipe can be charged by a hydrant about 60 ft away thereby charging the entire system... because the marina is covered there are blow out panels over every boat the ridge is vented and there are solid flame curtains every 4th slip...

The fire that destroyed the marina was caused by a mechanic that pulled the heads on a gas engine he just leaned the fuel line up against the side of the boat. evidently the fuel line slipped and filled the bilge with gas that was ignited when a battery charger was activated... The marina was fully on fire in less than 20 minutes every boat that was under the roof was lost... the only boat that was not a total loss was tied to end of the marina and was a liveaboard the owner started it didnt bother to untie it just put it in gear and pulled the cleats out of the dock... This boat suffered over 250,000 in damage from heat alone....

marina fires are nothing to fool with
Ka_sea_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:52 PM   #20

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
Tonight's news said something about a witness saying they hear an engine start then a loud bang. Sounds like it may be a gasoline kinda thing.

wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote