Sad Day for Recreational Boaters and Sport fisherman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boy, other than something vague about the states managing red snappers, I have no idea what the issues are that are causing so much hand-wringing. Lots of boating lobbyists seem unhappy about something. Badly written - or well, kind of useless article.

Fish catches are down. It's not really news.

It all relates to less fish being available. Some people want less restrictions so they can catch as much as they used to. Whenever fishing is limited in any way, some people will complain.

Similar steps have been taken recently in Australia, with the implementation of many huge marine conservation areas limiting fishing by sporting and professional fishermen.

I am an avid fisherman, but I am one of the few who see the increased protection of fish breeding areas and reduced catch limits, as a good thing. A nice feed of freshly caught fish for dinner is a pleasure I really appreciate, but one which my great grandchildren are not likely to experience.

Way to go AusCan :thumb:

We all know that the fisheries are depleting and no fisherman I have ever met practices self control if it were left to him alone. It's always regulations and the threat of fines that seems to work.

I don't like the fact they made most of my favorite fishing spots a reserve now, but I totally understand it.

The Catalina channel used to have so many sardines you could almost walk on them. Then the seiners came and fished them out. Before that we had tuna, marlin, swordfish, and many other fish in local waters. It's all gone now.

Who's to blame? The gardener that used sardine fertilizer or the commercial fishermen who fished out the sardines?

Who's to blame? The gardener that used sardine fertilizer or the commercial fishermen who fished out the sardines?

Who's to blame? Simple answer....humans who refuse to limit their spawning.

We all know that the fisheries are depleting and no fisherman I have ever met practices self control if it were left to him alone. It's always regulations and the threat of fines that seems to work.

I don't like the fact they made most of my favorite fishing spots a reserve now, but I totally understand it.

The Catalina channel used to have so many sardines you could almost walk on them. Then the seiners came and fished them out. Before that we had tuna, marlin, swordfish, and many other fish in local waters. It's all gone now.

I'm hoping you are talking commercial fisherman? .... and even then there are some responsible stewards of their livelihood.

Yes, mainly the commercial guys but I have experienced some poachers and greedy fishermen who went for any and all. Fortunately they got caught by fish and game and paid a pretty good price.

No. I didn't drop a dime on them but I will admit I wanted to and even talked about it to friends.

I have to be PC so I won't go into race or culture about the above but I will say all my fellow yachties are great stewards and only keep what we need and release the rest.

I always release most of what I catch.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom