Industry unhappy with Magnuson-Stevens bill in House | Trade Only Today

Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Boy, other than something vague about the states managing red snappers, I have no idea what the issues are that are causing so much hand-wringing. Lots of boating lobbyists seem unhappy about something. Badly written - or well, kind of useless article.

kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Fish catches are down. It's not really news.

It all relates to less fish being available. Some people want less restrictions so they can catch as much as they used to. Whenever fishing is limited in any way, some people will complain.

Similar steps have been taken recently in Australia, with the implementation of many huge marine conservation areas limiting fishing by sporting and professional fishermen.

I am an avid fisherman, but I am one of the few who see the increased protection of fish breeding areas and reduced catch limits, as a good thing. A nice feed of freshly caught fish for dinner is a pleasure I really appreciate, but one which my great grandchildren are not likely to experience.
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Way to go AusCan

We all know that the fisheries are depleting and no fisherman I have ever met practices self control if it were left to him alone. It's always regulations and the threat of fines that seems to work.

I don't like the fact they made most of my favorite fishing spots a reserve now, but I totally understand it.

The Catalina channel used to have so many sardines you could almost walk on them. Then the seiners came and fished them out. Before that we had tuna, marlin, swordfish, and many other fish in local waters. It's all gone now.

Who's to blame? The gardener that used sardine fertilizer or the commercial fishermen who fished out the sardines?
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
Way to go AusCan

Who's to blame? The gardener that used sardine fertilizer or the commercial fishermen who fished out the sardines?

Who's to blame? Simple answer....humans who refuse to limit their spawning.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
Way to go AusCan

We all know that the fisheries are depleting and no fisherman I have ever met practices self control if it were left to him alone. It's always regulations and the threat of fines that seems to work.

I don't like the fact they made most of my favorite fishing spots a reserve now, but I totally understand it.

The Catalina channel used to have so many sardines you could almost walk on them. Then the seiners came and fished them out. Before that we had tuna, marlin, swordfish, and many other fish in local waters. It's all gone now.

I'm hoping you are talking commercial fisherman? .... and even then there are some responsible stewards of their livelihood.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #7
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Yes, mainly the commercial guys but I have experienced some poachers and greedy fishermen who went for any and all. Fortunately they got caught by fish and game and paid a pretty good price.

No. I didn't drop a dime on them but I will admit I wanted to and even talked about it to friends.

I have to be PC so I won't go into race or culture about the above but I will say all my fellow yachties are great stewards and only keep what we need and release the rest.

I always release most of what I catch.

Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote