RV vs Cruising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just love being on a two lane road with an RV up ahead doing 10-15 mph below the limit and a mile long string of traffic behind it.

Kinda like I just love to slow my 25 knot speed to come up behind a 6 or 7 knot trawler. We have to all exist in the same environment.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the biggest difference in livability between boats and RVs: the slides! Lots of newer RV can nearly double the floor space with all the slides extended. We have a 3'x12' slide-out on our older fifth-wheel and it makes a huge difference in livability. Too bad there's no way to do that with a boat!

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the biggest difference in livability between boats and RVs: the slides! Lots of newer RV can nearly double the floor space with all the slides extended. We have a 3'x12' slide-out on our older fifth-wheel and it makes a huge difference in livability. Too bad there's no way to do that with a boat!

Here's the boat version!
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0338.JPG
    IMG_0338.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 39

It's become popular on larger yachts to have sections that fold out. Even on mid sized boats there are some such as the Astondoa Top Deck

65 TopDeck . Astondoa Yachts . The magic of seduction

And the Wider:

Wider.jpg

Here is post #95 and admittedly it is not PC.

I did not see mentioned in posts 1-94 that you meet a nicer class of people in marinas than you do in RV parks. :nonono:

I did not see mentioned in posts 1-94 that you meet a nicer class of people in marinas than you do in RV parks. :nonono:

It is comments like this that make me rethink my participation in online forums...
Sigh,
Bruce

For 8 months I stayed in Pontchartrain Park, an RV resort with a few boat slips in a marina. One observation I made was that about 75% of RVers travel with their dogs(s). Fully 50% of them had more than one dog. My conclusion was that these people were very attached to their pets and found this was the best way to travel that easily accommodated their pets.

Am I wrong?

Wifey B: Oh, so we're reverting to a class structure now? :mad: And just how do you define class of people? I personally am bothered by the class of people who make broad generalizations about classes of people. :mad:

Wifey B: Oh, so we're reverting to a class structure now? :mad: And just how do you define class of people? I personally am bothered by the class of people who make broad generalizations about classes of people. :mad:

Ahh wifeyB, I hope he was making an attempt at humor.

But in UK he would be right. The class society is alive and well there.

Lord and Lady whatserface weekend on their yacht. Which would be a 65' sailing boat racing off Cowes or a 100'+ motor yacht with crew in the Med.

Mr and Mrs middle to upper middle class take out their sailboats or motor cruisers on the lakes, rivers and near coastal. Maybe down to the yacht club.

Malkie and Edna lower middle class and lower class go for holidays in their caravans.

As the two Ronnies used to say on the David Frost show in the 70's, 'I know my place' Maybe somebody with more expertise than I can find that and post it. It was funny because it was true.

Also a main reason people want to come to the USA, to become unfettered from a class system.

Also a main reason people want to come to the USA, to become unfettered from a class system.

Wifey B: Well, I'm not sure what one even means when they say someone is "lower class". Are they referring to their financial level or referring to their character. So, I don't know what one means if they talk about the class of people at a marina or an RV park. I also don't think you can lump all marinas or all RV parks together.

To me, "Class" is all about how you treat others.

We certainly have economic classes but they have nothing to do with determining the type people I'd like to spend time around.

Is he referring to some behaviors at RV parks? If so, what really is he talking about without throwing out a term like "class." :confused:

It's probably better to close the thread. It's not really worth arguing about.

For 8 months I stayed in Pontchartrain Park, an RV resort with a few boat slips in a marina. One observation I made was that about 75% of RVers travel with their dogs(s). Fully 50% of them had more than one dog. My conclusion was that these people were very attached to their pets and found this was the best way to travel that easily accommodated their pets.

Am I wrong?

Not in our case, you aren't. We also like VRBOs that allow pets.........

Class, in the traditional definition is about how you are bred, schooled and where you stand in a social ranking. To some extent it is about money because you cannot attain the breeding (old money) and proper schooling required without it. It certainly isn't about how you treat others. Some of the higher class people I have met treat the lower class with evident disdain. It is old form prejudice

In the USA the word class is thrown around recklessly. But the prejudices here are often more about race, which is in its own way about breeding. In UK you can never attain upper class if you are not born into it. In the US if you are born black, or Hispanic, you can never become white.
Then there are the lower class whites and others, usually unemployed, deal with the under culture of drugs, speak with a high frequency of curse words and have no ambition to be anything other than what they are.

In my world, that certainly doesn't apply to RVers I have met.

Maybe its "class" or something else.

My favourite RV of all time is featured by "cousin Eddie" in National Lampoon's classic "Christmas Vacation".

We have had several visitors to our RV in So Cal, each of whom expected our RV to resemble Eddie's. It was enlightening to see their eyes grow wide when they realized that the joke was on them.

Maybe its "class" or something else.

My favourite RV of all time is featured by "cousin Eddie" in National Lampoon's classic "Christmas Vacation".

We have had several visitors to our RV in So Cal, each of whom expected our RV to resemble Eddie's. It was enlightening to see their eyes grow wide when they realized that the joke was on them.

Wifey B: It would be helpful to know specifically what it is about RV parks that gave him that impression. I would think different RV parks also have different demographics. I know there's a huge difference in marinas. Some are resorts and then some are just an old dock set up close to nothing but friendly people. :)

Whether in jest or seriousness...a comment not worthy to acknowledge.....

Here in Australia we have a group of self funded retirees we refer to as Grey Nomads they constantly travel around Australia by RV or caravan .
Some of the rigs cost many 100s 1000s $$ and they supplement there fuel by picking up drink cans for scrap metal and sit around the camp fire with others and talk about how much they save buy buying day old bread and making there own beer .
God help us if any one of these Nomads buys a boat and joins TF :rofl:

And they pay as much to rent a patch of grass for the night as we do for a fully equipped private pool villa in south east Asia.
Grey nomads, living the dream.

absolutely...balance in life is not a bad thing....

interesting that solitude does include posting on the internet.

Posting on the internet involves one click any you are here.....or gone.

Living in a crowded caravan park, marina or anchorage has me putting up with nosy and or noisy neighbours, noisy children and barking dogs.
I can get that at my land based house.

Big difference.

Last edited:
Guess I pick better caravan parks, anchorages and marinas....

Just stating fact as far as we see it RTF, no escalation intended.

I am yet to park in a marina where people didn't walk down marina fingers looking in and we are yet to stay in a crowded anchorage where there wasn't at least one rowdy crowd cranking up the tunes or sport channel, a jetski doing laps or someone parking on top of us with a safety pin for an anchor.
Like I said, I can get that sort of inconsideration on land and to get away from it was one of the main reasons for a boat.

The last bastion of solitude and away from officialdom.

I sure hope RVs require less maintenance. I am pretty sure the parts are cheaper.

Tom

In my experience my travel trailer's care and feeding along with my tow vehicle is many times cheaper than boating. I store the trailer in a heated building for 1/5 the moorage charges of the boat. Likewise for insurance. The truck gets 12-14 mpg towing. We seldom pay for campgrounds. When we do it is usually a "dry" camping spot in National Forest campgrounds. With our senior pass Mount Pisgah Campground at nearly 5000' elevation on the Blue Ridge Parkway is only $10.00/night. No A/C needed up there.

For convenience we do pay for campgrounds during football season. Full hookup campgrounds usually run about $35 to $40/night. Cheaper than marina charges.

In three weeks we set off for a month or so 4wd camping out in the `Kimberlies'(top left of Oz). Not many people, plenty of saltwater crocs ,King Brown snakes & colourful locals all in some of the most truly stunning landscapes you will ever see.

WifeyB if you would like to come I can have a word with Robbie to see if we can fit you in.Might be a little squeesy inside the 4WD, but probably better than sleeping outside, given that you might not be there in the morning.;)

Last edited:
In three weeks we set off for a month or so 4wd camping out in the `Kimberlies'(top left of Oz). Not many people, plenty of saltwater crocs ,King Brown snakes & colourful locals all in some of the most truly stunning landscapes you will ever see.

WifeyB if you would like to come I can have a word with Robbie to see if we can fit you in.Might be a little squeesy inside the 4WD, but probably better than sleeping outside, given that you might not be there in the morning.;)

Wifey B: Crocodiles :nonono:
Snakes :nonono:
Colorful locals :thumb:
Stunning landscapes :thumb:

But like scissors top paper, crocodiles and snakes to stunning landscapes.

Roughing it is queen size bed instead of king. :)

I've slept on the flybridge and on the beach, but not in the woods. :nonono:

To Wifey B:
As far as accommodating multiple couples, it can be done relatively comfortably. But mostly in trailers, and limited to 2 couples. I have seen large fifth wheels with a kid's bedroom aft.

We have a 25' travel trailer I tow with a Highlander. Our #1 priority was our 2 large dogs, and possible mother-in-law. We have a large 3'x6' bathroom with tub and shower, two full size bunks aft with curtains, and installed a curtain across to separate the main queen bed. The dogs get the bottom bunk, guests get the top, and we still have a dinette and couch on a slide. We have spent 4-5 days with no issues or lack of privacy.

We are much more comfortable than most hotels, and can search out different types of areas depending on what we feel like doing. In 3 weeks we will spend a few days at Assateage, but stop at campground on the way home to plug in and run the AC for a night.

Getting back to the RV vs cruising theme, my take is that if you need stabilizers on your boat, you'll be happier in an RV!

"She's a beaut, Clark!"

To Wifey B:
As far as accommodating multiple couples, it can be done relatively comfortably. But mostly in trailers, and limited to 2 couples. I have seen large fifth wheels with a kid's bedroom aft.

We have a 25' travel trailer I tow with a Highlander. Our #1 priority was our 2 large dogs, and possible mother-in-law. We have a large 3'x6' bathroom with tub and shower, two full size bunks aft with curtains, and installed a curtain across to separate the main queen bed. The dogs get the bottom bunk, guests get the top, and we still have a dinette and couch on a slide. We have spent 4-5 days with no issues or lack of privacy.

We are much more comfortable than most hotels, and can search out different types of areas depending on what we feel like doing. In 3 weeks we will spend a few days at Assateage, but stop at campground on the way home to plug in and run the AC for a night.

I have 4 dogs and a parrot. The RV makes travel pretty easy - although still loud LOL... I noticed you mentioned your dogs and mother-in-law in the same sentence. How well did that go? :rofl:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom