RV vs Cruising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S of F,
HaHa the grinding wheels are cheap and last quite awhile.
And I'm getting burned out on anchors. Nobody seems to like talking about them or they are afraid to for some reason that I don't understand. I pulled my experimental anchors off the boat.

But I'm not about to start counting posts for fuel burn. Don't need to. Everybodies seen-um. Perhaps people talk about fuel burn because it's one of the very few variables that we have some control over. But to support your side of the question I haven't heard of anyone cutting their boating short because of fuel cost.

Here in Australia we have a group of self funded retirees we refer to as Grey Nomads they constantly travel around Australia by RV or caravan .
Some of the rigs cost many 100s 1000s $$ and they supplement there fuel by picking up drink cans for scrap metal and sit around the camp fire with others and talk about how much they save buy buying day old bread and making there own beer .
God help us if any one of these Nomads buys a boat and joins TF :rofl:

Today's paper reported a surge in RV sales. More trailers rather than motorhomes and not necessarily old folks buying them. Younger people looking for a cheap way to live.

So, when I get tired of boating again there should be plenty of late model Airstreams on the market.

Today's paper reported a surge in RV sales. More trailers rather than motorhomes and not necessarily old folks buying them. Younger people looking for a cheap way to live.

So, when I get tired of boating again there should be plenty of late model Airstreams on the market.

Unfortunately, the market will turn south at some point. RV sales are very dependent on two factors and both have a history of going up and down. Therefore, we've had periods in which RV sales came to a near halt. The two factors are the ability to borrow at a low interest rate and the cost of fuel. Both have been low for a while. RV sales and boat sales have returned to a good level. When those two factors reverse themselves, RV sales and boat sales will both drop.

I can't believe fuel burn is a consideration on this thread. Both the boat and the RV/mother tow vehicle have considerable aquisition and maintenance costs WAY beyond what fuel use should be, especially in this very inexpensive fuel cost market. The barrier to entry isn't the cost of fuel...

When looking for a retirement boat or planning for a live-aboard life, keeping the monthly expenses within ones income is paramount. The sale of a home or business could quite easily allow one to purchase and maintain a boat, but no one wants to dig into their savings for fuel every month.

Anchors, the true definition of a "trawler", maybe the importance of microwaves and how frugal people who own sailboats are?
Bruce

Bruce, you are spot on about the mileage pulling a 25' Airstream. I get 12-14 mpg depending on area I towing in. Also, my tow vehicle does double duty as it is used for my work truck. A Suburban is a very flexible vehicle.

We just towed the AS down to St Augustine to my oldest grandson's graduation. We stopped by Calaway Gardens for a couple of nights on the way down, and camped at North Beach for a few nights in SA The graduation was held in the beautiful amphitheater near the beach. It was a great time with the family. While camped at Pine Mountain, GA we saw FDR's Little White House at warm springs. They have great museum exhibits.

RV Sales Cycles

Unfortunately, the market will turn south at some point. RV sales are very dependent on two factors and both have a history of going up and down. Therefore, we've had periods in which RV sales came to a near halt. The two factors are the ability to borrow at a low interest rate and the cost of fuel. Both have been low for a while. RV sales and boat sales have returned to a good level. When those two factors reverse themselves, RV sales and boat sales will both drop.

This is SO true! I was involved in the business for several decades. In the last recession literally half the RV manufacturers went belly-up.

There has consistently been an "adjustment" about every 9 years. Companies brag about how good things are and don't look at history and plan ahead. It's coming up again. Right now is a GREAT time to buy. Year end close-outs with discounts of 25 - 40% being NORMAL. During the recession 50% off was typical but you needed an 800+ credit score and then could be turned down.

Examples of smart companies include Thor and Winnebago who divest in other industries. They do school buses, airport transport etc so when RVs adjust other groups pick up the slack. As a matter of interest, Beneteau is all over the map with other businesses. (https://www.beneteau-group.com/en/) Besides boats, they do commercial and custom as well as prefab homes - go figure!

Someone looking to try the RV lifestyle should take a look at Superior MH.

This brand made skool buses in the 1960's that are not "sticks and staples", so they are vastly better in an accident.

Their galvanized outer skin is usually in fine structural condition, although the paint never is as galvanized does not take paint well.

22-24ft is a great starter size

A fine running unit will be under $5,000 and its not like boats , an entire brand new engine & tranny will be about $6,000 installed.

The chassis a Dodge M300 or M350 was under UPS and other trucks for decades , si things like brake shoes can be had cheaply overnight.

A great first ride to see what the RV lifestyle is all about.

22-24ft is a great starter size

Wow FF...I am looking at that size Class Cs and most of the less than 5 year old ones under 50,000 miles are well into the $40K-50K range.

Even the 1990s vintage with anywhere from 50K miles to 150K miles are in the $20K range...if in decent enough shape they don't need re-everythinging....

Just did that with a boat and not interested.

Any links or tips appreciated.

I had a camperized school bus when I was young. It was a 32 passenger fully converted with all the basic facilities. I was a "liveaboard" for about a year cruising around BC before I moved to Australia. It was great for exploring forestry roads and finding nice bush campsites.

I have zero interest in a motorhome designed for driving between developed RV "camp"grounds. I guess that aligns with my lack of interest at staying in marinas. Give me an isolated bush campground or a private bay anchorage any day.

Couldn't think of anything worse than being in a caravan park and the same goes for marinas and crowded anchorages.

I'm out here to get as far away from uncivilization as possible.

Wifey B: Not many of those in the contiguous 48. :lol:

We may have isolated bushes in some campgrounds.

That's why I like Canada and Australia. Still plenty of bush campsites. The bushes in campsites are getting rare over here as well. Everyone's into topiary.

Last edited:
That's why I like Canada and Australia. Still plenty of bush campsites. The bushes in campsites are getting rare over here as well. Everyone's into topiary.

Wifey B: I don't think I'd be a happy camper and I know my hubby wouldn't. :)

""Wow FF...I am looking at that size Class Cs and most of the less than 5 year old ones under 50,000 miles are well into the $40K-50K range.""

Perhaps but a class A from the 1960 -1970 era is probably better built (at least the Superiors are) and only requires a paint brush to lighten up the dark interior a bit.

$250000 boat $250000 RV who cares how much fuel one would use :confused:
Exactly...
Most comments here on TF will tell noobies to not worry about fuel economy...its a small part of ownership.

If you are looking for economy buy a Prius.

I've seen articles citing stats and the purchase cost of both on a length and weight basis are very close. They didn't cover cost of ownership but I would bet they are comparable. Lots of variables on how you use them but the ranges would be close.

I do and enjoy both...both 34ft diesels...both single engine.

As with many discussions...way too many apples to oranges comparisons when it comes to finite details like costs.

Even between 2 boats just the small detail like full time liveaboard versus weekend dock queen changes the equation a lot and then even further, liveaboard cruiser or liveaboard dock queen.

Motorhome versus trailer ....and do you own a VW bug, or already have a one ton dually for other things? That changes a lot of decisions right there.

Even RVing....some are constantly moving, some snowbird from one northern campground to another one south and sit.

Some like campgrounds of different flavors, some like solitude.

And ultimately like boats for sure..."some living the dream" on a shoestring, others with resources others can hardly imagine.

Stereotypes and generalizations are thick again.

Last edited:
Couldn't think of anything worse than being in a caravan park and the same goes for marinas and crowded anchorages.

I'm out here to get as far away from uncivilization as possible.

At one time in our marriage we felt the same way, but after 30+ years, it's nice to talk with someone else once in a while......

We have met some very nice people while walking our dog through various RV resorts and we would hope to have the same experiences when staying in a marina. Our prior experience has been in the PNW where we anchored out nearly all the time, when we switch to the east coast we look forwards to visiting any number of places and probably staying in any number of marinas.

Bottom line: one never knows where friendships can be formed, and a good friend is something of real value in this world.

At one time in our marriage we felt the same way, but after 30+ years, it's nice to talk with someone else once in a while......

We have met some very nice people while walking our dog through various RV resorts and we would hope to have the same experiences when staying in a marina. Our prior experience has been in the PNW where we anchored out nearly all the time, when we switch to the east coast we look forwards to visiting any number of places and probably staying in any number of marinas.

Bottom line: one never knows where friendships can be formed, and a good friend is something of real value in this world.

absolutely...balance in life is not a bad thing....

interesting that solitude does include posting on the internet.

Last edited:
There are many free campsites that are in BLM (Bureau of Land Management) lands and National Forest Lands. They are called dispersed camping areas, and you can stay 14 days. Then you have to move a prescribed distance to stay at another. The BLM has some LTVAs (Long Term Visiting Areas) that by permit you can find your spot to stay 7 months. There are many located in the Rocky Mountain National Park. If you can't find isolated campsites with great views in the Rocky Mountains there is something wrong with your method.

RVrs aren't dumb. There are crowd sourced phone apps and websites for locating the campsites. Freecampsites.net, Campendium, and Allstays are only a few. Maps can be obtained from any park or national forest headquarters.

As I have said, both have their advantages. I like to enjoy both.

Wifey B: You mean your RV doesn't have twins? Next you're going to tell me it doesn't have thrusters either. :confused:
Can only think of one reason for thrusting in RV...and won't go there [emoji1]
More than one reason in the boat [emoji1]
We have enjoyed both...boondocking and RV resorts as well as remote anchorages and nice marinas.
To each their own just do what you like and enjoy it...that's all that matters...not whether other agree.

Can only think of one reason for thrusting in RV...and won't go there [emoji1]
More than one reason in the boat [emoji1]
We have enjoyed both...boondocking and RV resorts as well as remote anchorages and nice marinas.
To each their own just do what you like and enjoy it...that's all that matters...not whether other agree.

Wifey B: I have one question still of all the RV'ers and that is how do they handle more than two on board. What about 4 adults or even 6 people total.

Perhaps the TF group is the perfect RV target as it looks like 96% cruise primarily with one or two people. Only 17% indicate they rarely but sometimes cruise with more people. It just looks like RV travel is really designed mostly for one or two.

I'd love to hear from any of you with observations of how RV'ers take family and friends with them. Perhaps the TF demographics aren't typical of all RV'ers and on an RV forum would find lots of people doing it.

A 45' boat sure accommodates 3 to 6 people better than an RV, at least from my impression. We do intend to rent an RV to make about a 13 hour trip, then let it sit and then take it back a month later, but no sleeping on it. Maybe we'll have a better feeling then as I've never ridden in one, only looked at shows. :)

Wifey B: I have one question still of all the RV'ers and that is how do they handle more than two on board. What about 4 adults or even 6 people total.

Perhaps the TF group is the perfect RV target as it looks like 96% cruise primarily with one or two people. Only 17% indicate they rarely but sometimes cruise with more people. It just looks like RV travel is really designed mostly for one or two.

I'd love to hear from any of you with observations of how RV'ers take family and friends with them. Perhaps the TF demographics aren't typical of all RV'ers and on an RV forum would find lots of people doing it.

A 45' boat sure accommodates 3 to 6 people better than an RV, at least from my impression. We do intend to rent an RV to make about a 13 hour trip, then let it sit and then take it back a month later, but no sleeping on it. Maybe we'll have a better feeling then as I've never ridden in one, only looked at shows. :)

Some RVs sleep 6 as some boats advertise they sleep 6 when it isn't really comfy.But then...some RVers pack tents for the kids so travelling with up to 8 isn't out of the question of 4 adults comfy in the RV and 4 kids out in tents.

Or they stop at KOAs/campgrounds with small cabins or shelters for overflow sleeping.

Sure boats can be bigger and accommodate more people.

But my boat can't get from Jersey to Dallas to Ohio to North Carolina to the Grand Canyon to visit relative, friends and great places either quick enough or even just "there" because of location.

So, to do and go everywhere I want....I prefer a small motorhome to flying or driving and staying in motels.

Life like boats is a compromise,,,pick your poison.

There are class C rvs with a bunk over the cab in addition to the queen size bed. There are trailers with extra bunks. They are usually called bunk house models. Our trailer is only a 25' so we have twin bunks for flexibility for taking my two grandsons trout fishing. One sleeps on the fold out sofa.

While our 42' Sabre has a second stateroom that will accommodate 2, it is small. It is mostly used for my office, or getting away for short naps. We very seldom have an extra couple on board when cruising or RVing.

When camping there is always the option of an extra tent for sleeping. One of my grandsons usually brings his water proof, bug proof hammock.

Last edited:
Like most boats, ours has the first class stateroom and a second class stateroom. The dining table goes down, so that in theory there is also a third class stateroom. In 23 years, all three have been put into service once. We often have drinks for many, dine up to 6, but sleep 2.
Our motorhome has the first class stateroom and a third class stateroom, as the couch hides a double bed. We can drink 6 in comfort, feed 4 in comfort, and sleep 2 in comfort.

Wifey B: So, if our typical travel was 4 to 8, 6 most common, adults and none of us intended to sleep in a tent, are there RV's that would work? Also I notice one head only. :)

Wifey B: So, if our typical travel was 4 to 8, 6 most common, adults and none of us intended to sleep in a tent, are there RV's that would work? Also I notice one head only. :)

Your limitations are related to the size limits allowed on the road. Motorhomes can not exceed 45 ft. in length, 8.5 ft. in width, 13.5 ft in height. In addition, they can have mirrors, awnings, etc stuck on the sides, out to 10 ft total, mirrors and trailer hitch to extend beyond 45 ft, but nothing up top that exceeds the height limit.
Within those parameters, it is tough to find any that can comfortably sleep more than 4 adults. There are lots that have 2 heads, our does, "bath and a half", but that takes space away from other uses, such as another hide-a-bed.
The marketplace decides what layouts are popular. While some have tried to convert an articulated bus, thus avoiding the 45 ft length limit, I haven't seen any RV parks set up to accommodate that size. Others have tried double deckers, but there the market is so tiny you won't find one when you go looking.
If your crowd of 6 to 8 adults is seriously into RVs, you will need 2.

RVs do have limits that boats / ships do not. If you need to accommodate 6 -8 adults I guess you need to stick to boating.

I find it interesting that many TFers favor uncrowded anchorage to marinas...just wonder how many cruise w 6-8 adults?
We generally subscribe to the 6-4-2 rule...6 for cocktails...4 for dinner...2 for overnite.

Just love being on a two lane road with an RV up ahead doing 10-15 mph below the limit and a mile long string of traffic behind it.

Back
Top Bottom