Running from a storm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. B. Re: Your post #26. TMI!!!! I don't even want to think about what you're referring to when you wrote "dick line".

200w.webp

That's OK he hasn't been involved with a Cat 5 storm in the last 12 hours, so maybe can pay more attention to his …… now what kind of line is that?

Geauxcruise, we live in south Florida and keep our boat tied to storm piles at our house. This all had to be approved by our insurance provider. Do you not have specific requirements from your insurance company in the event of a named storm?

We have a Hurricane Plan filed with our carrier that explains WHAT we will ATTEMPT to do when at our home Marina. We are currently traveling on the boat (not live-a-boards, just a nice long trip), and away from our home marina, so all we can do is what we feel is the safest and smartest thing per each occurrence.

RT. For your edification, Dick lines are shorter, harder and thinner than dock lines. Does that clear up any confusion? LMAO

I've been in two hurricanes at sea in the North Atlantic, fortunately in ships. Had no problem except for a bowl of milk and cereal spilling on my lap and a twisted knee which took the usual two years to heal.

RT. I sense you have some doubt. Come to Ft Pierce this year and I can prove it to you in person. Love ya Bro, your the best.

We have a Hurricane Plan filed with our carrier that explains WHAT we will ATTEMPT to do when at our home Marina. We are currently traveling on the boat (not live-a-boards, just a nice long trip), and away from our home marina, so all we can do is what we feel is the safest and smartest thing per each occurrence.
Good point. We have not been away from home during a named storm, I need to read my policy again to remind me what my responsibilities are when NOT home.

I guess we will all have the opportunity to test our approach with the soon to be Imelda looming out there.

Too late for Imelda. It has already made land as a TS.

Greetings,
Mr. MP. I hadn't even heard of Imelda. That prompted me to check NOAA and as Mr. A. notes, Imelda is old news. TD10 seems to be interesting at this point....

Running from a storm is possible.
With a fast boat .. or even a slow boat .. at times.
But w modern weather forecasts it’s not necessary watching the forecasts a day out. I got caught far out where a days running at my usual 6 knots wouldn’t get us to a safe harbor. But I would’a had to burn a whole lot of fuel to do it in a fast boat.
Basically if you don’t wanna get caught out you exercise planing. Not speed.

Greetings,
Mr. MP. I hadn't even heard of Imelda. That prompted me to check NOAA and as Mr. A. notes, Imelda is old news. TD10 seems to be interesting at this point....

Me too. What is with this weather. A tropical storm hits the Gulf coast and doesn't raise an eyebrow in the national news?

I hope they don't have the same level of flooding they have had in past years.

Doesn't planning an evacuation, somewhat revolve around a vessels speed?

Doesn't planning an evacuation, somewhat revolve around a vessels speed?

May be ………..

The two factors -
Vessel speed
And/Or time of departure

If one leaves soon enough a slow rate of speed will do the job.

Last edited:
After all this discussion it appears that having a faster boat allows one a little cushion if one screws up in leaving in time. I used that advantage more than once.

May be ………..

The two factors -
Vessel speed
And/Or time of departure

If one leaves soon enough a slow rate of speed will do the job.
Exactly....the operative word was " planning".

Bigsfish and Action are both right but I will say having a pretty fast boat (280 SLX which Sea Ray says will do 41 mph) I got stupidly caught in six foot waves and couldn't do more than 15 mph at 4000 rpm. If the storm gets close your speed will slow. Can't opine on a trawler speed effect by large waves however.

Proper planning takes these contingencies into account

A great example is most people that are new to things copy checklists generated by old timers.

Wala! Knowing something you may not have known before.

A lot of things are easier than you think if you just get around to them.

None. I woke up in a hotel in Long Beach with the hotel shaking so bad I could not stand up to put my pants on, had to lay down on the bed to get dressed and then haul ass down 8 flights of stairs. When we finally got the all clear to go back in, it had shaken all the water out of the toilet and the bathroom was wet all the way to the ceiling. It kept shaking every now and then for the next couple of days.

Guess you should be happy you flushed the toilet the last time. Last earthquake I was in was in Vista CA. Vista was the epicenter so it didnt seem like an earthquake, more like a HUGE sonic boom. I also had my pants off, in the bathroom, taking a leak. Sprayed everywhere. I still get skittish everytime I enter my sisters bathroom....LOL

I call Fort Myers home during the winter. If I were to be there for a hurricane with the boat, the Okeechobee waterway would likely be where I would go. There are a number of spots I would consider securing the boat, and leaving it if necessary.

The important thing to consider is that you have to know where and have alternatives in case the spots are full. This means cruising at least once or twice through the area so that you are familiar with it and know what to bring with you. Can't imagine just running with no idea what to expect where you plan to stay. One can look at the terrible flooding at the ends of rivers / bays in North Carolina from a previous hurricane, to realize that you may dodge the winds only to wrecked by storm surge flooding.

Ted

What Marina are you at?

Back
Top Bottom