Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Running shoe, making large wake

Not a trawler:

Old 04-29-2013, 02:25 AM   #2
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Looks a bit tight, was there another boat between you and the 'go fast'?
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Yes, another boat had passed seconds before.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Mark you're just going to have to chill out and get along w other boaters. Just don't change course very quickly. Going back into Thorne Bay in Alaska the sportfishing charter boats used to pass me in Willy at 25 knots w the same separation you show here ... about 30' (or a boat length). CRAZY I admit but we both have boats largely unaffected by wakes and they see we're so very slow we probably look basically stationary. The same AHs on the freeway will swerve from the inside lane clear across 3 lanes or so right in front of you in the right lane and just barely make the exit ramp.

This was one of the reasons we left the lower 48 and went to Alaska. Too crowded w AHs. Well after 7 years in Ak Most of my problem w that AH stuff is gone. It's very very rude (to be sure) and when you don't see them coming it either startles or scares the crap out of you when they go scream'in by but the chances of a real accident are actually small. We just gotta drive defensively and dial out everything else.

The wake of the first boat looks small and you should be able to swing into the bigger boat's wake in plenty of time to put your boat at a good angle. Better look 360 degrees before you put the helm hard over though.

PS .. What's w the "running shoe" ??

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
SOP. Typical on the rivers around here on the weekends. I try to stay off the water on weekends. It could be worse .... you could be in a sailboat trying to deal with this.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Mark, Eric:
Was that pic taken in a "no wake"zone? if not, I don't see what your problem is. The Sea Ray is going faster than his maximum wake speed, so his wave has flattened out and won't bother you in your wide, hard chine trawler. Eric, this guy may meet the definition of AH due to other behaviour, but just driving his boat the way its designers wanted it driven doesn't qualify.
We have encountered "Sea Ray Wash" a couple of times where quicker thinkers would have had a camera handy: 1 Heading into Gabriola Passage against a 7 knot flood current, and a 50 ft Sea Ray passed us close aboard, putting us in his wash at its deepest spot and causing everything that wasn't secured to end up on the floor. 2 heading south down Agamemnon Channel and encountering a northbound Sea Ray 55 going up the very center of the channel at 20 knots and refusing to give way or slow down. Dealing with #1 was impossible, but #2 only required a course change so that I could take his giant wash bow on. That brought me close aboard his transom and got his attention.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
Guru

The wake shouldn't be all that large with the boat on plane. Some years ago we had a slip at the very corner of a large marina on Lake Travis near Austin. Go fast (very fast...like 100+ mph) boats approaching and departing from the "Carlos and Charlies" watering hole next to the marina would drop off, and climb on plane right in front of our slip. When they left the C&C dock they'd typically idle to the edge of the no wake zone (in front of our boat), put the transmissions in neutral, and step to the swim platform, where they'd relieve themselves (men and women). Then they'd break out a six pack, strap in, and pour the coal to their twin and triple supercharged big blocks....thereby swamping that corner of the marina as they climbed out of the hole. Quite entertaining during the day...not so much at 2 AM.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Keith,
I agree re the boat in the picture. I'm referring to the AH that just passed Mark and is out of the pic. Way too close even if the other boat was not there.

The boat in the pic is shown going way too fast for a no wake zone but otherwise I have no problem w it. Even if I were there w a kayak he has the right to throw whatever wake his boat makes. When one goes forth in a boat one needs to consider the company he's keeping. I was passed by a 50' boat going 20+ knots almost in the cut at Deception Pass while I was in a canoe. I didn't get wet but it was a bit of a wild ride. My point is that I need to accept big wakes if I go where big boats go.

I was using the "AH" re the guy going fast w essentially no separation. THAT I have a problem with.

skidgear,
A heavy boat on plane can/will throw a huge wake. Only light boats or very slow boats make small wakes.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
TBH... I have stopped worrying about wakes and just deal with them as a part of the boating experience. You can't stop them... Yelling on the radio does nothing... Proving any damage loss from someone's wake to your boat is piratically impossible... And really, it's just a wave. I understand the arguments and like you guys, have heard them all. Yet, the waves continue to come. All we can do is be prepared for them and try to minimize the impact as best as we can.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Keith,

A heavy boat on plane can/will throw a huge wake. Only light boats or very slow boats make small wakes.
Really???
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #11
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Guess I don't get the point... Wake, what wake?
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
He's probably burning 30 gph too! Just reminder that when they pass.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #13
Master and Commander

The close-by wake wasn't significant, and no, it wasn't a no-wake zone. I was turning to go behind the stern of the "running shoe." ... I'm occasionally amused by the boats purchased by some, imagining their personalities. Wonder how the fellow spots close obstacles of the flotsam-filled Delta looking over that high, long foredeck? ... Wakes are part of the environment, but I do dislike big-wakers passing so close there isn't time/space to maneuver to reduce the wakes' impact. Had to make some "wild" maneuvers to pass behind their sterns, and fortunately for the most part, there weren't other boats blocking the maneuver. ... About the only boats I overtake are those that are anchored. If they are close by, I slow down from my 6-7 knots speeds, especially for open-top boats with fishermen/persons aboard.

The below-hull-speed wakes made by Pineapple Girl as well as FlyWright and Mahalo Moi on our Stockton trip last weekend, on the other hand, were benign.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #14
Scraping Paint

City: -
The original photo is typical of what happens around here all the time. In the case of the photo example it's nothing to be concerned about as the wake from a planing boat is not much in terms of wave height.

Far, far worse are the tsunamis put out by the big semi-planing sleds like Bayliners and such that dig their sterns deep into the water as they plow along and throw out massive stern wake waves. They are easily dealt with by turning into them at a 60 degree angle or so.

As to the apparent distance between Mark's boat and the planing boat, that, too, I think is no big deal. We have boats pass us closer than this fairly frequently in the commonly-used channels and straits in the islands and in the proximity of our marina. We drive to Bellingham almost every week to our boat at speeds up to 70 mph. Other vehicles are within a few feet of us either going our way or the opposite direction. We don't think anything of it on the road, and we don't think anything of it on the water other than having to minimize the effect of a big wake as described above. As long as the other boat doesn't actually hit us we don't get concerned about passing distance except in the cases of the big plowing sleds, and that's only because a close pass doesn't give us much time to turn into the wake. The physical distance between the boats themselves doesn't matter.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Mark and I were out together this weekend. That's the same guy who waked me by passing so close I had no time to turn into his wake. He had plenty of room to pass further away but chose not to. At best, it seemed like an inconsiderate move on his part.

Lesson learned for the Admiral to keep the fridge door latched. She caught the egg casserole as it slid out of the fridge. The bean dip Snapware lid took a hit, but stayed in place.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #16
Master and Commander

Another fast boat fast approaching FlyWright's port side while another trawler has turned sharply to cross the fast boat's wake. Here I had crossed an earlier fast boat's wake.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #17
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
This big boy didn't bother us at all! Here I caught the Coot heading out to help the ship maneuver around the channel...
Attached Thumbnails
The Coot and the Ship.jpg  
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #18
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Hmmm....unless the wake from a passing boat is huge, I turn the bow away from the wake at a 45 degree angle and take it from behind.. unless other traffic prevents it. Requires a less dramatic turn and time than trying to turn into a passing wake. Works for me.

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #19
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I agree, Chip. I often do that but at the time, Coot was to stbd while the SeaRay passed to port.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #20
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
That's what I do as well, Chip, in open water. However, in the narrow river and slough system in the California Delta a turn away from the wake would, at times, put us up on the bank!

What we are really talking about is courtesy and performing a slow, coordinated pass. Those are two things we don't often experience here.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote