Running Lights Pilot 30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shardy

Vessel Name
My Chele
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 30
Looks like I have lost ground to my running lights. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Looks like Mainship actually molded the wires into the bowsprit so there is no way of running a new ground.

Me personally, I would get rid of bow mounted lights and put on a new set of LEDs. Once done, probably will never fiddle with them again.

Me personally, I would get rid of bow mounted lights and put on a new set of LEDs. Once done, probably will never fiddle with them again.

You mean mount a couple of LEDS on the side of the windshield?

Sure, there's always a way.

The new LEDs are tiny.

Different boat but I did that to my previous boat. It had dinky sidelights and the fwd. white steaming lgt. leaked. Chucked it all and installed the sidelights at the side of the windshield and the white up top on the hardtop..
The sidelights included enough of a shield to spare me any hint of glare from them.,
Far better setup and they could actually be seen by another boat.

With the new LED lights the mounting should be even easier.

You might want to confirm the problem is not at one end or the other, better chance of that than of a wire molded into fiberglass being severed

:socool:

Looks like Mainship actually molded the wires into the bowsprit so there is no way of running a new ground.

There's almost always a way of running a new wire. I'm not a fan of anything mounted on the bow pulpit but if you want to keep the repair simple & keep the fixture in it's current location by replacing the wire, perhaps you could make a junction from the existing nav light supply line where you can access it & snake a new wire through the railing or maybe behind the hollow back rub railing. Wiring with LED lights is certainly easier nowadays by allowing a smaller gauge wire to be used.

Would it not be possible to simply tap into the windlass ground? I am not having any luck at all finding the "break" in the ground to the bow running light.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom