Old 03-02-2015, 06:45 PM   #21

City: North Kingstown, RI
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 III
When I was looking at boats, I thought that a gen set was an absolute necessity,for me. Then I found many boats in the 30'-35' range without and I had second thoughts. The Mainship I finally bought has one and if I based my decision on the generator alone, I would have walked away. It is a one cylinder Volvo (Crosspower?) 3.5 kw, I believe. It is the roughest running, noisiest, most corroded hunk of metal I ever layed eyes on. When starting it looks as if it will jump out of the bilge at you. When under load it makes the most obnoxious CLACK CLACK CLACK sound I ever heard. It is so rusty, I'm afraid to work on it. So far, it has started everytime I used it. It even bailed me out when I forgot to turn the inverter off at anchor one night. If it dies, I will fill the space with batteries. I run it to use the electric range and to charge the batteries when at anchor more that one night. I have a small portable butane stove at the ready so I don't have to go without coffee if it fails to start. I would love to replace it, but it's a little too much money to spend on a boat this old and I'm not sure how long I will own it. So, be it batteries, solar panels or gerbils on treadmills, I will find a way to generate the electricity I use.

slowandsteady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:06 PM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Without a generator, there is no question.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #23
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
We have been running our vintage 15KW Onan every day during our passage south. With temperatures hovering near freezing, the reverse cycle air conditioning has kept us warm and the domestic refrigerator running has kept the food an beverages cold. Start it up in the morning when shoving off and shut it down in the evening when tied up to shore power. I suspect we may have run it all night if we had anchored. We do have a 4KW inverter so during "normal" weather using the genny while cruising is not necessary. Propane range. When we came north 5 years ago it was used in a similar fashion but to cool.
Due for an oil change tomorrow with about 100 hrs on the Hobbs meter.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:44 PM   #24

City: Knoxville
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Vessel Model: 08 Meridian 490 Pilothouse
We run the generator when needed, it is cold in the winter and hot in summer run it 24/7 both when moving the boat or at anchor. During spring and fall we work off the inverter, we run the generator about two hours in the am to recharge batteries, cook, and shower, then again in the evening. I hope to add solar when we retire and can head to milder climates.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:16 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,

Due for an oil change tomorrow with about 100 hrs on the Hobbs meter.
You're throwing your money away, as well as perfectly good oil most likely, if you're doing 100 hour oil changes.

If you are going to continue doing 100 hour changes, I hope you are at least recycling the "old" oil by mixing it with your fuel and feeding it to your engine.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:40 PM   #26
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Please be like Marty and Ski. Only run your gens minimally.

Many many other boaters HATE the noise.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:44 PM   #27
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Please be like Marty and Ski. Only run your gens minimally.

Many many other boaters HATE the noise.

Well ours makes barely any noise outside of the boat. So no, I'll enjoy my hot showers, unlimited water, and AC.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:25 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Well ours makes barely any noise outside of the boat. So no, I'll enjoy my hot showers, unlimited water, and AC.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:38 AM   #29
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
So not to highjack another thread, but I have a genny and plan to use it!!! Why do some of you spend all this money solar and inverters just to say I don't use my genny? What's up with that?
Now that is getting right to it
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:47 AM   #30
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
My boat didn't come with either a generator or solar. Starting from zero, I'm not even considering a generator. I have no power hungry appliances, just a good efficient 12V fridge, which 2 x$150 solar panels will run. Just install and forget.
Why would I go for a generator which would cost more to buy, cost more to run, and cost more to maintain? It would be less dependable, noisier and offer no advantages.

Easy choice for me.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:35 AM   #31
FF
Guru

The STENCH of a diesel exhaust is a bigger problem for the harbor than the constant noise.

A bus depot aroma is not what most folks cruise for.

Remember inside , breathing canned air , you will not have every hatch and port open , and are not subject to the stench, But the entire harbor IS !!

Massive wakes with no understanding of how to run a good pass,
one tiny anchor with massive windage , and never ending noise and stench,

NO Wonder the sailors call marine motorists the DARK SIDE??
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:50 AM   #32
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 11. Nope, never burned the old oil. Use a recycling center. Let THEM deal with the oil in whatever fashion they choose.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:17 AM   #33
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The STENCH of a diesel exhaust is a bigger problem for the harbor than the constant noise.

A bus depot aroma is not what most folks cruise for.

Remember inside , breathing canned air , you will not have every hatch and port open , and are not subject to the stench, But the entire harbor IS !!

Massive wakes with no understanding of how to run a good pass,
one tiny anchor with massive windage , and never ending noise and stench,

NO Wonder the sailors call marine motorists the DARK SIDE??
And what should I call the sailor who illegally stayed at the 3 hr town dock in Cocoa all night (posted no overnight) and docked not near the end, more in the middle so he limited the amount of area for others to tie up?

My genset puts out less air pollution than the thousands of cars driving over the causeway just a 1/4 mile away so I am not the problem in this anchorage at least.

Respect is a wonderful thing...out of the thousands of things we do and say everyday....we all sometimes do things that others wish we didnt.

I use my genset with care and thoughtfulness.....am I gonna piss off other boaters sometimes?...you bet... but a whole lot less than many piss me off.

I still liveaboard and cruise because the alternative is worse.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:13 AM   #34
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
You're throwing your money away, as well as perfectly good oil most likely, if you're doing 100 hour oil changes.
I couldn't disagree more! Changing your oil more frequently is one of the best things you can do for the health of your engine. Yes, it costs more to change the oil every hundred hours or so but the positive effects of clean oil in a diesel engine can't be overstated.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:32 AM   #35
FF
Guru

And what should I call the sailor who illegally stayed at the 3 hr town dock in Cocoa all night (posted no overnight) and docked not near the end, more in the middle so he limited the amount of area for others to tie up?

FOOLS and ignorant folk abound , sail and power.

The cure is quite simple , tie to his boat and clamber up and aboard and over, to access the dock.

You would climb over a dink with an idiot owner that tied it on a tiny lead , so simply treat the boat the same.

He may get tired of a half dozen folk doing this , esp if hauling propane bottles , laundry and food.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:55 AM   #36
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post

If you are going to continue doing 100 hour changes, I hope you are at least recycling the "old" oil by mixing it with your fuel and feeding it to your engine.
My 8kw genset holds a gallon of oil. Oil and filter is around $20. In boating costs, that's nothing. Actually, it's the cheapest insurance you can buy.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:03 AM   #37
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I try to avoid anchoring next to people, especially if I'm going to run my genset even though it is extremely quiet. I think that's being reasonable. If you're going to anchor on top of me and expect me not to run it, that's not reasonable. Sorry for your bad luck.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I couldn't disagree more! Changing your oil more frequently is one of the best things you can do for the health of your engine. Yes, it costs more to change the oil every hundred hours or so but the positive effects of clean oil in a diesel engine can't be overstated.
There are no positive effects if you are throwing away properly filtered perfectly good oil.

But to each his own.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #39
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I try to avoid anchoring next to people, especially if I'm going to run my genset even though it is extremely quiet. I think that's being reasonable. If you're going to anchor on top of me and expect me not to run it, that's not reasonable. Sorry for your bad luck.

Ted
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
My 8kw genset holds a gallon of oil. Oil and filter is around $20. In boating costs, that's nothing. Actually, it's the cheapest insurance you can buy.

Ted
I'm not sure what you are insuring against if there is nothing wrong with the oil you are throwing out. But if you are running you gen/s 24 hours around the clock for days at a time it's a waste of time, money and oil.