Run Gas Out of Outboard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seasalt007

Guru
Vessel Name
Aweigh
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 42
I have a 2016 Suzuki fuel injected 30hp on my dinghy. It came with the boat and today was my first day of trying it out.

At the end of the ride I decided to leave it in the water until tomorrow before hoisting back aboard. When I disconnected the gas hose to run the engine dry it starting running very rough...like it did not like what I did...so after a few minutes I turned it off and went home.

Is one supposed to run the gas out of a newer OB like we did on the older ones?

I have 3 small outboards, all late model 4 strokes. I run the gas out of them any time they will be stored (like between trips). If you don't, you will eventually have clogged jets from the gas sitting in there. Mine always start and run perfectly as long as I don't leave fuel in them.

The larger outboards are likely fuel injected and this probably doesn't apply to them. If it has a carburetor, you will have problems if you let the fuel sit in there over time.

JD

Mine has a fuel cut-off switch so you can run the gas out. Would be easy to install on your fuel line I think.

No. Fuel injected outboard motors have neither jets nor float bowls. Running the gas out prior to storage is no longer necessary. Flushing with fresh water, however, remains a very good idea.

Regards,

Pete

Buddies with Honda 4 stroke, like mine, run theirs dry at the end of a weekend. Even with Stabil or similar.

I've got one of those baby Honda generators in which the dealer said to use Stabil to meet their service guarantee. I have yet to get the thing clean enough to run reliably after a year's storage.

Now, the two stroke Suzuki would run on last years gas but would be much happier with the new years fresh fuel.

Throw aged fuel into the car. A few old gallons in an otherwise recent tank of gas will not hurt.

Ran my Seagull (auxiliary for a pocket cutter) dry at the end of each day's use by turning off fuel from the tank. That's a two-cycle engine, and it wasn't hard to start after ten-something years of non-use. (Of course after having previously disposed the old fuel.)

Always thought it was 2 strokes, using an oil/fuel mix, which need to be run dry. Because of the oil component and risk of the carburetor getting gummed up.

Agreed on most of whats been said already.

I know OB's well. Have raced em, built them, blown them up etc.

An FI or DI motor will have fuel in the pump, lines and filter on the powerhead.
Not much advantage to running one of these dry.

The older carb'd 2 strokes, especially one w/the VRO pump disabled so you're mixing your fuel, its mandatory. In the warm climates Ive seen it gel in a matter of months.

With the crap, Ethanol added, its even worse. The lobbyists are now trying to get the content raised from 10% to 15% (a 50% increase!) which will make it worse.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Big difference between fuel injected and carbed.

The carb crowd runs theirs dry and the injected crowd does not as gross generalizations.

If mine were fuel injected...I would have a fuel turn over program for the outboard fuel tank where the fuel was never 100 percent more than a month old.

I have a 2016 Suzuki fuel injected 30hp on my dinghy. It came with the boat and today was my first day of trying it out.

At the end of the ride I decided to leave it in the water until tomorrow before hoisting back aboard. When I disconnected the gas hose to run the engine dry it starting running very rough...like it did not like what I did...so after a few minutes I turned it off and went home.

Is one supposed to run the gas out of a newer OB like we did on the older ones?

No. Fuel injected outboard motors have neither jets nor float bowls. Running the gas out prior to storage is no longer necessary. Flushing with fresh water, however, remains a very good idea.

Regards,

Pete

In spite of a bit of potentially confusing incoming from folk who had not read your original post, or not properly, you got your answer right there. :nonono:

Ethanol fuel is intolerant of free water as it will phase separate for sure. Even engrained water past a certain amount can cause a problem.

Even if you don't run dry, stored fuel past a month can be a roll of the dice, you just have to watch it.

A quick sample will show phase separarion.

Bottom line: Carb engine, run it out. EFI engine, do not.

Bottom line: Carb engine, run it out. EFI engine, do not.

Exactement..! And avoid any ethanol blend in anything other than a motor or vehicle where it is used up quickly. :eek:

Buddies with Honda 4 stroke, like mine, run theirs dry at the end of a weekend. Even with Stabil or similar.

I've got one of those baby Honda generators in which the dealer said to use Stabil to meet their service guarantee. I have yet to get the thing clean enough to run reliably after a year's storage.

Now, the two stroke Suzuki would run on last years gas but would be much happier with the new years fresh fuel.

Throw aged fuel into the car. A few old gallons in an otherwise recent tank of gas will not hurt.

This is the post I most follow. I disconnect the hose or on the self contained Honda 2 hp. on the outboards and run the gas out. The reason? The use of corn in the fuel creates varnish that plugs needle valves. On the Honda 2000 gen set I make it a monthly habit to start an run each for a couple of minutes. One can drain the Honda gen set, however it requires opening the set up and using a small blade screwdriver, reach up in the drain hose and turn the screw open to drain the carb. Better to run the engines.
Of course, one could keep a can of 'kickapoo joy start fluid' near by to encourage a easy start.:hide:

Al-Ketchikan

In more civilized states Ethanol free fuel can be foundat gas stations near the shore.

In desperation a visit to the local small airport will locate 100LL, which is alcohol free.

Dumping last weeks fuel in the family buggy is easiest with a syphon hose.

Al, I have a Honda 2hp, and they are 4 stroke, so all you have to do is make sure you're not putting an ethanol blend in it, and it is totally unnecessary to run it dry each time. I leave mine for months without doing that and it still starts about 3rd pull. I don't like the sound of you prising off the fuel line repeatedly, as in the end you could have it come lose while running with a possible fire or explosion. :eek: :nonono:

Al, I have a Honda 2hp, and they are 4 stroke, so all you have to do is make sure you're not putting an ethanol blend in it, and it is totally unnecessary to run it dry each time. I leave mine for months without doing that and it still starts about 3rd pull. I don't like the sound of you prising off the fuel line repeatedly, as in the end you could have it come lose while running with a possible fire or explosion. :eek: :nonono:

Hummmmm- We do not have a choice on ethanol or not. I don't drain the fuel in the Honda gen set. As I stated, I choose to run each of them for a short period each month (Maybe 6 weeks) to move fresh gas through. In the fall I treat all of my stored gas containers with stav-all. All the OB's are run in a freshwater barrel after use (Biggest OB other than the 9.9 Yamaha hi-thrust on the step of the boat, are old 6 hp 2 strokes, then allowed to run out of gas.
I hear you, just move in a different way on the matter. Good of you to share.

Al-Ketchikan

We have the Suzuki 15-hp EFI 4-stroke. Had it for a couple years now. I've seen no need to run it dry... and in fact doing that (tried it once) makes it harder to start that first time, afterwards, and it'll run rough for a bit, then, apparently until the fuel-injection system is fully loaded . No ethanol-related issues yet.

In fact, it usually starts on the first pull after sitting on the trailer all winter.

Our previous outboard, a 5-hp 2-stroke carbureted Johnson (made by Suzuki) wouldn't hardly run on last week's ethanol gas. No way to get regular non-ethanol gas around here. Always had to run that dry.... if we weren't going to use it for a while. If we intended next day use, no need to run that dry either.

-Chris

I only run the gas out at the end of a trip, when we are putting it away. WHen we are cruising, we are running it so much there is no reason to.

Last edited:
I have not heard of any snake oil that fixes phase separation of ethanol fuel....the stabilizers help with oxidation is my understanding...but all the claims for phase separation have not been true in my wold of assistance towing and fuel polishing.

Marine Stabil really does work multi year with ethanol laced gas.

Not so much, for me. Had no luck with that, nor with several other products... Three weeks, after that gas was at risk, outboard might or might not work... and the leaf blower, mostly no way at all.

-Chris

Chevron sells a 94 octane gas in Canada that works well in small engines like lawn equipment and outboards. I try to get that when I can, and always run carburated small engines dry when leaving them for any expended time.

My EFI Honda 40 has started on the first turn of the key every spring so far, though I do run it dry on the last trip in the fall every year.

Last edited:
Chevron sells a 94 octane gas in Canada that works well in small engines like lawn equipment and outboards. I try to get that when I can, and always run carburated small engines dry when leaving them for any expended time.

That reminds me, I think I spoke to soon when I said we can't get normal ethanol-free gas here. Sorry.

Aviation gas is available -- at airfields -- and I understand that's ethanol free... but octane usually exceeds maker's recommendations for outboards.

More recently, I think Home Depot and such places have started selling limited quantities of ethanol-free gas. Very small containers and very high prices, I think. Aimed at small engines like lawn mowers, weed whackers, leaf blowers, and such, so possibly pre-mixed. Not particularly cost-effective for running a dinghy very much...

-Chris

"Aviation gas is available -- at airfields -- and I understand that's ethanol free... but octane usually exceeds maker's recommendations for outboards."

Depending on the complexity and power level a MINIMUM octane level may be required by the engine builder , there is not a maximum.

Aviation Purple 115/145 octane , as required on old high power piston engines works just fine in an Evinrude of 40 years ago.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom