Old 02-26-2017, 04:14 PM   #1
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Run Gas Out of Outboard?

I have a 2016 Suzuki fuel injected 30hp on my dinghy. It came with the boat and today was my first day of trying it out.

At the end of the ride I decided to leave it in the water until tomorrow before hoisting back aboard. When I disconnected the gas hose to run the engine dry it starting running very rough...like it did not like what I did...so after a few minutes I turned it off and went home.

Is one supposed to run the gas out of a newer OB like we did on the older ones?
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:21 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sydney
no
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:29 PM   #3
Guru

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
I have 3 small outboards, all late model 4 strokes. I run the gas out of them any time they will be stored (like between trips). If you don't, you will eventually have clogged jets from the gas sitting in there. Mine always start and run perfectly as long as I don't leave fuel in them.

The larger outboards are likely fuel injected and this probably doesn't apply to them. If it has a carburetor, you will have problems if you let the fuel sit in there over time.

JD
guy with a boat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:58 PM   #4

City: Orange Beach, AL
Mine has a fuel cut-off switch so you can run the gas out. Would be easy to install on your fuel line I think.
hjorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:02 PM   #5
Guru

City: Everett
Vessel Name: LIBERTY
Vessel Model: TOLLY 48
No. Fuel injected outboard motors have neither jets nor float bowls. Running the gas out prior to storage is no longer necessary. Flushing with fresh water, however, remains a very good idea.

Regards,

Pete
jungpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:06 PM   #6
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Buddies with Honda 4 stroke, like mine, run theirs dry at the end of a weekend. Even with Stabil or similar.

I've got one of those baby Honda generators in which the dealer said to use Stabil to meet their service guarantee. I have yet to get the thing clean enough to run reliably after a year's storage.

Now, the two stroke Suzuki would run on last years gas but would be much happier with the new years fresh fuel.

Throw aged fuel into the car. A few old gallons in an otherwise recent tank of gas will not hurt.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:08 PM   #7
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Ran my Seagull (auxiliary for a pocket cutter) dry at the end of each day's use by turning off fuel from the tank. That's a two-cycle engine, and it wasn't hard to start after ten-something years of non-use. (Of course after having previously disposed the old fuel.)
Old 02-26-2017, 05:10 PM   #8
Guru

Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Always thought it was 2 strokes, using an oil/fuel mix, which need to be run dry. Because of the oil component and risk of the carburetor getting gummed up.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: West Harbor Lake Erie
Agreed on most of whats been said already.

I know OB's well. Have raced em, built them, blown them up etc.

An FI or DI motor will have fuel in the pump, lines and filter on the powerhead.
Not much advantage to running one of these dry.

The older carb'd 2 strokes, especially one w/the VRO pump disabled so you're mixing your fuel, its mandatory. In the warm climates Ive seen it gel in a matter of months.

With the crap, Ethanol added, its even worse. The lobbyists are now trying to get the content raised from 10% to 15% (a 50% increase!) which will make it worse.

Hope this helps.

Gary
Gwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:13 PM   #10
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Big difference between fuel injected and carbed.

The carb crowd runs theirs dry and the injected crowd does not as gross generalizations.

If mine were fuel injected...I would have a fuel turn over program for the outboard fuel tank where the fuel was never 100 percent more than a month old.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:12 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasalt007 View Post
I have a 2016 Suzuki fuel injected 30hp on my dinghy. It came with the boat and today was my first day of trying it out.

At the end of the ride I decided to leave it in the water until tomorrow before hoisting back aboard. When I disconnected the gas hose to run the engine dry it starting running very rough...like it did not like what I did...so after a few minutes I turned it off and went home.

Is one supposed to run the gas out of a newer OB like we did on the older ones?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungpeter View Post
No. Fuel injected outboard motors have neither jets nor float bowls. Running the gas out prior to storage is no longer necessary. Flushing with fresh water, however, remains a very good idea.

Regards,

Pete
In spite of a bit of potentially confusing incoming from folk who had not read your original post, or not properly, you got your answer right there.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:22 PM   #12
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Ethanol fuel is intolerant of free water as it will phase separate for sure. Even engrained water past a certain amount can cause a problem.

Even if you don't run dry, stored fuel past a month can be a roll of the dice, you just have to watch it.

A quick sample will show phase separarion.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:28 PM   #13
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Bottom line: Carb engine, run it out. EFI engine, do not.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:00 PM   #14
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Bottom line: Carb engine, run it out. EFI engine, do not.
Exactement..! And avoid any ethanol blend in anything other than a motor or vehicle where it is used up quickly.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:00 PM   #15
Guru

bottom line 2#
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:45 PM   #16
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
no
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
bottom line 2#
Yes, but that answer was way too succinct Gaston. Most folk on here like a bit more meat in the sandwich, so to speak.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:54 AM   #17
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeckrotte View Post
Buddies with Honda 4 stroke, like mine, run theirs dry at the end of a weekend. Even with Stabil or similar.

I've got one of those baby Honda generators in which the dealer said to use Stabil to meet their service guarantee. I have yet to get the thing clean enough to run reliably after a year's storage.

Now, the two stroke Suzuki would run on last years gas but would be much happier with the new years fresh fuel.

Throw aged fuel into the car. A few old gallons in an otherwise recent tank of gas will not hurt.
This is the post I most follow. I disconnect the hose or on the self contained Honda 2 hp. on the outboards and run the gas out. The reason? The use of corn in the fuel creates varnish that plugs needle valves. On the Honda 2000 gen set I make it a monthly habit to start an run each for a couple of minutes. One can drain the Honda gen set, however it requires opening the set up and using a small blade screwdriver, reach up in the drain hose and turn the screw open to drain the carb. Better to run the engines.
Of course, one could keep a can of 'kickapoo joy start fluid' near by to encourage a easy start.

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:46 AM   #18
FF
Guru

In more civilized states Ethanol free fuel can be foundat gas stations near the shore.

In desperation a visit to the local small airport will locate 100LL, which is alcohol free.

Dumping last weeks fuel in the family buggy is easiest with a syphon hose.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:50 AM   #19
TF Site Team

Al, I have a Honda 2hp, and they are 4 stroke, so all you have to do is make sure you're not putting an ethanol blend in it, and it is totally unnecessary to run it dry each time. I leave mine for months without doing that and it still starts about 3rd pull. I don't like the sound of you prising off the fuel line repeatedly, as in the end you could have it come lose while running with a possible fire or explosion.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:03 AM   #20
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Al, I have a Honda 2hp, and they are 4 stroke, so all you have to do is make sure you're not putting an ethanol blend in it, and it is totally unnecessary to run it dry each time. I leave mine for months without doing that and it still starts about 3rd pull. I don't like the sound of you prising off the fuel line repeatedly, as in the end you could have it come lose while running with a possible fire or explosion.
Hummmmm- We do not have a choice on ethanol or not. I don't drain the fuel in the Honda gen set. As I stated, I choose to run each of them for a short period each month (Maybe 6 weeks) to move fresh gas through. In the fall I treat all of my stored gas containers with stav-all. All the OB's are run in a freshwater barrel after use (Biggest OB other than the 9.9 Yamaha hi-thrust on the step of the boat, are old 6 hp 2 strokes, then allowed to run out of gas.
I hear you, just move in a different way on the matter. Good of you to share.

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote