Rules of the Road in .pdf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doug H

Veteran Member
I know that it is a requirement to carry a copy of the Inland Navigation Rules on board. I see lots of .pdf versions available on line, but am wondering if having one of these on an on-board computer will satisfy the requirement?

Nav Rules are req'd to be carried if LOA is 39 ft or above. Electronic copies do satisfy the reqmt.

My understanding from the CG Auxiliary inspector is that the electronic version is acceptable.

Heck for the longest time, Marine Max dealerships were convinced the incomplete rules version on Davis plastic 3 ring binder cheat cards were sufficient.

Funny thing, as many times as I mentioned it, none of the manages ever said there was an instance where a Sea Ray owner came back and complained the USCG didn't accept them.

This Sea Ray owner, albeit only a 35 footer, has three versions, including COLREGS for Idiots or some such title. I like overkill.

This Sea Ray owner, albeit only a 35 footer, has three versions, including COLREGS for Idiots or some such title. I like overkill.

I have the compete COLREGS in book form. For reference, I find traditional books to be quicker and more convenient. It is what I have had on my last two sailboats. My current boat also came with some quick reference plastic cards which I have found pretty handy for some of the commercial light rules. I never remember the lights for barges and tows and the quick reference card is great for that.

I have the compete COLREGS in book form. For reference, I find traditional books to be quicker and more convenient. It is what I have had on my last two sailboats. My current boat also came with some quick reference plastic cards which I have found pretty handy for some of the commercial light rules. I never remember the lights for barges and tows and the quick reference card is great for that.
The Davis cards (if still available) are excellent cheat cards for old timers and not bad for showing newbies or crewmembers a point you are trying to convey.

The books are good as they can be pretty instant for many things.....the cards are even faster and made up for simllicity.

I keep mine handy to show people regularly.

The Davis cards (if still available) are excellent cheat cards for old timers and not bad for showing newbies or crewmembers a point you are trying to convey.

The books are good as they can be pretty instant for many things.....the cards are even faster and made up for simllicity.

I keep mine handy to show people regularly.

I should have been more clear. I think that the printed books are better for reference than a .pdf file. I agree with you that the cards are great for quick reference particularly explaining to someone a particular point. The only problem I have is ensuring that they understand that even though Puget Sound is an inland body of water geographically, for the purposes of the COLREGS it falls under International Rules and they need to ignore the portions of the cards that refer to the Inland Rules.

I agree...many people think boating is as simple as the cheat cards....:D

Hand them the book of "rules" and they all of a sudden they think boating is complicated...:eek:

the book looks intimidating until you realize that there is not that much in it...fortunately it is a precise, non wordy book.....big on pictures :thumb:

Last edited:
I know that it is a requirement to carry a copy of the Inland Navigation Rules on board. I see lots of .pdf versions available on line, but am wondering if having one of these on an on-board computer will satisfy the requirement?

Why? Just print them out or buy the book. Put it on the boat and you know you are in compliance. Besides, you won't have to start up your computer to read them or show them to a boarding officer.

KISS principle.

Back
Top Bottom