Old 01-23-2016, 11:04 AM   #1

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Therapy
Vessel Model: Transpac Eagle 32
Send a message via AIM to Therapy
Rudder Modifications

I am new to owning a trawler and to this forum, I have a 32 transpac eagle, my boat does not turn very sharp mainly around the docks, the previous installed a stern thruster that works great when the wind isn't blowing. I recently pulled the boat to have some work done, and I am contemplating adding material to the rudder, to make it longer and increase the angle, this seems like an inexpensive approach and should not add much drag. Have any of you tried this? from what I have read trawlers have an unbalanced rudder with 20% ahead of the pivot point and 80% behind it, in my mind if I can maintain something close to this I should be fine. Can you offer any advice.

Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:20 AM   #3
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Learn to goose the throttle.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:29 AM   #4
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I am new to owning a trawler and to this forum, I have a 32 transpac eagle, my boat does not turn very sharp mainly around the docks, the previous installed a stern thruster that works great when the wind isn't blowing. I recently pulled the boat to have some work done, and I am contemplating adding material to the rudder, to make it longer and increase the angle, this seems like an inexpensive approach and should not add much drag. Have any of you tried this? from what I have read trawlers have an unbalanced rudder with 20% ahead of the pivot point and 80% behind it, in my mind if I can maintain something close to this I should be fine. Can you offer any advice.
It's not an unbalanced rudder if it has 80/20 split over the rudder post.

An unbalanced rudder would have 100% behind the rudder post.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:31 AM   #5
Guru

City: gulf coast
What Bill said.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:37 AM   #6
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
There have been a few in here that have modified their rudders with satisfied results...might try a google search for the threads.

Many different methods for adding metal to the rudder.. just depends on what you are comfy with.

Adding angle might help...that does have it's dangers if you don't understand the forces involved.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #7

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Same boat here. I have owned single screw boats since the 80s and find this boat needs a little more prop wash than others I have owned. For the first time single screw operator there is a bit of a learning curve. No plans to alter the rudder here. If you add to the rudder please let know how you like it. Cheers
Old deckhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:49 AM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Therapy,
How many degrees of rudder deflection do you have?

I modified my Willard to have 45 degrees each way. If you can call this modifing. There are two mounting holes in the rudder horn and I hooked the steering hyd cyl rod to the inbd hole ... the one closest to the rudder shaft.

I have no need for better rudder response now (and for the last 10years) but I know there's more to be had w articulated rudder trailing edge devices but it would need to be almost free for me to opt for more.

The Eagle and Willard are similar so that should give you what you want if your rudder is big enough. And I'm sure your boat isn't fast enough for the 45 degree rudder to be too much deflection. That would indeed be a concern w a faster boat but good to go as they say w a 6-7 knot boat.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:50 AM   #9
Guru

City: kemah
Goosing the throttle is putting it mildly. You need to use the throttle like your mad at it.

Turn the wheel full left/right, hammer the throttle in fwd gear, quickly bring it back to idle ( that's goose 1). Shift to reverse, and hammer the throttle again to stop any fwd motion. Back to idle and neutral (goose 2).

Gooses come pairs and you have to be deliberate in both directions. Practice in open water with a bouy. Especially with wind.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:59 AM   #10
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
I believe poster READY2GO added material to the rudder on his Marine Trader and is pleased with the results. He has a blog on it.

The trouble with some single engine boats (notably Taiwanese Tubs) is the rudder is designed for twins but the same design was used on singles.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:35 PM   #11

City: Port Townsend WA
Vessel Name: Panope
Vessel Model: Colvin Saugeen Witch, Aluminum
I made three changes to Panope's rudder. 1 - Gap between keel and rudder closed. 2 - Gap between hull and top of rudder closed. 3 - The triangular shape added ahead of the rudder post provided an increase in size to the rudder and provided a bit of "balance".

The performance of the rudder was noticeably improved during close quarter maneuvering and "gooseing" (primary goal was to improve rudder power while sailing, which it did). Helm force was also reduced.

I wish I could have done these modifications "one at a time" so a determination could be made about which mod was responsible for the improved performance. It is reasonable to assume that the gap closing between the keel and rudder is not contributing to close quarter maneuvering as this modification is nowhere near the prop wash.

Steve

Old 01-23-2016, 12:42 PM   #12
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Steve,
I see your prop has a lot of rake. Can't remember what rake is good for or bad for. My present propeller has no rake. I think most props come w a little.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:55 PM   #13
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Here is a picture of a modified rudder that the builder of the Helmsman 38 tried. It worked well with a boat not exceeding hull speed but caused a vibration (as I recall) when getting on a plane. Notice the end plates and the "V" on the trailing edge. The previous rudder was just a flat piece of metal.

Shortly after I took delivery of the Helmsman 38, I replaced this rudder with an "Articulating Rudder" made by Bayview Engineering - Bayview Engineering Articulating Rudders Boats CNC Machine Shop Oak Harbor Washington.

Now that rudder made a BIG difference in moving the stern and was almost as good as a stern thruster.

However, my current Nordic 42 has stern thruster and I like it much better that the articulating rudder. My thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37PH Rudder (5).JPG
Views:	240
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	48310  

The five stages of life: Sailboats, Motorboats, Motor Homes, Nursing Home, Funeral Home.
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:59 PM   #14

City: Port Townsend WA
Vessel Name: Panope
Vessel Model: Colvin Saugeen Witch, Aluminum
Eric, I'm not sure about the purpose of propeller rake. My propeller Diameter and Pitch was determined by a Naval Architect friend of mine. He gave the numbers to Osborne Propellers (Vancouver BC) and this is what they provided.

I must say, the propeller was spot on right out of the box. I can just make max engine RPM in calm conditions. I pulls like a tractor.

Steve

Old 01-23-2016, 01:06 PM   #15

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
The Transpacific Eagle 32 was designed by well known NW designer Ken Hankenson for Glen L boats to be made in steel called the Union Jack. The plans for the Union Jack are still sold by Glen L. Transpacific Marine, a well know sailboat maker, asked him to design the Union Jack to be made with fiberglass. This hull has a slightly larger beam than many other 28 foot water line boats and therefore needs a little more throttle to swing the stern.
Old deckhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:01 PM   #16
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Several Monk 36 owners have modified their rudders similar to post 13. A 2" wide horizontal strip top and bottom, and vertical 2" angle iron on the trailing edge. A couple have added a strip welded to the trailing edge first to increase the rudder area. those I have spoken to report increased maneuverability docking and better tracking in following seas.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:26 PM   #17
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
We did it on out first boat and it did help... a little. Mostly just in fairways, but other than that... Not a ton of difference. I think it just took me some time to get used to how she handled and work with what she gave me.

HOWEVER, in order to maintain balance of forces on the shaft, you should figure out the ratio of your current rudder fore and aft of the post and add material in the same ratio.

I don't know how long you have had it, but if it hasn't been very long, don't try to solve a problem that may not exist. It would be a waste of money IMHO.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:55 PM   #18

I think I am going add 4" to the back of the rudder I will let you know if there is any improvement in close quarter handling.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:02 PM   #19

Thank you all for your responses, Eric I have about 38 degrees and to get any more I would need a bigger steering ram, I have the boat up at Seaview in Bellingham getting a new drive shaft, So while its out of the water I want to get as much work done as possible, instead of changing the steering ram and adding a bigger hydraulic reservoir, I think I am going to add material to both sides of the Rudder, that should give me a few more degrees, and might even help in reverse. Thank you All
Steve
Old 01-23-2016, 04:02 PM   #20
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I think I am going add 4" to the back of the rudder I will let you know if there is any improvement in close quarter handling.
If it were me, add 1" (if that is the correct ratio) to the forward part of the rudder too.