Old 03-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
Color me gone

I just received a PM from a moderator, informing me that my post was in some way offensive to the Forum. I apologize, despite the fact that it was likely taken out of context. I will never know, since the words have been changed to protect the innocent. I shall make this real easy on the moderators, and withdraw my presence forever. I did not sign on for someone else to put words in my mouth in the form of CENSORSHIP. You either get my words or no words. Exit stage left!!!

-- Edited by Carey on Friday 16th of March 2012 10:24:04 PM
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
RE: Color me gone

Well what did Carey say to get this treatment.
It looks like this forum is going the way of the PM forum.

Soon all the old hands and interesting people will just be history.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:33 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

Yeah, Carey - nobody gets to just take their bat and ball and leave - ya gotta stay and fight .....
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:44 AM   #4
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'

So when you leave, where do you go? What are the options?
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:51 AM   #5
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger

They always come back and peek. This forum really has slowed down a bit. Oh well.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:10 AM   #6
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Greetings,
Curiosity aroused...What comments on what thread? C'mon Mr. Carey, expose the board nazis. I've noticed the absence of at least one prolific OTDE poster (shill/troll?) on this forum since the hiatus of said aforementioned section.
As Mr. Art's poll suggests, the overwhelming opinion seems to be the unmonitored reinstatement of OTDE. Now whether or not this will occur is up to the new owner(s) but I for one, think elimination of OTDE would be a great loss to the overall experience of the TF site.
As Mr. 2bucks pointed out, conversation with friends is not limited to common interests and from MY experience, I DO have some radically different opinions with some friends (which we have er, hmmm...."discussed" at length in the past) but they still remain friends. If everyone's friends had exactly the same opinions as you do, things could get quite dull very quickly.
So, 'fess up Mr. Carey. I'd like to see what I may have to deal with in the future...
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #7
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Color me gone

I am the offending moderator. I prefaced my message to him of how much I respect him and out of all of the people on here, he would be one of my top choices to sit down and have a beer with. I will ask everyone to take a deep breath!!!! And Carey, I will ask you very sincerely to stay. I think most of the people on here feel the same way about you as I do.

The post said something to the effect of "If the OP is anything like me, they probably have already left the site because of...etc...".

And what I edited it to(exact cut and paste):

"*If the OP is anything like myself, they appreciate the hard work these moderators put into this website and enjoy the information gleaned from these pages!"

I told Carey in my PM that I really did it because I was just having fun and also to protect the integrity of the thread and of Trawlerforum. *I also told him that if he was offended by it I would delete it.

I will ask you again, Carey, plz hang around. *

-- Edited by Baker on Saturday 17th of March 2012 06:56:23 AM
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:11 AM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Color me gone

Greetings,
Thank you Mr. Baker for presenting the situation. I hope if anyone else is "chastised" in the future, the moderators will be as forthcoming with an explanation. As I said in a previous post, Censorship is not a good thing. Mr. SD had a good suggestion. If a particular thread becomes "offensive", simply delete that thread (with an explanation) and move on. DO NOT shut down the whole sheebang please.
In these trying times, folks NEED a place to vent and if that ire falls upon others...

** I'm also on the record..."Please Stay Mr. Carey"

-- Edited by RT Firefly on Saturday 17th of March 2012 07:13:03 AM
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #9
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Color me gone

In point form.

1/ Carey's post, "You either get my words or no words."Something about a hammer coming down on a nail with great force.

2/ Amazed we survived Carey's 1065 odd posts without coming to harm.

3/ Pleased with the quick reply from the Aussie East coast contingent, regarding sniffing out bull**** when they see it(can I say bull****?)

PS I guess that answers the question about bull****

-- Edited by Andy G on Saturday 17th of March 2012 07:27:37 AM

-- Edited by Andy G on Saturday 17th of March 2012 07:32:11 AM
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:47 AM   #10
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38

Nobody likes to be overtalked, overwritten or overcontrolled i.e. bullied or taken out of context. I agree RT, just delete the thread but don't change a persons words.

Elwin*
Ocean Breeze NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #11
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Carey,

Come on man stick it out. We need a little drama in our lives sometime.
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #12
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser

Oh fer gawd's sake ladies.* Don't get your panties in a bunch.* Some of you guys are too young to remember usenet but whatever goes on here is minor c/w what used to happen.* I'm not a big fan of moderated groups but as moderation goes this one is pretty well done and the fact that the mod came online and took responsibility for his actions immediately is a really good sign.

Move on.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #13

City: Pacific Northwest
Vessel Name: Jacari Maru
Vessel Model: 2014 Ranger Tug R-27

Here's my 2 cents,

I try to 'be nice' and avoid 'name calling' etc., but if I post something that the moderators find offensive, I would appreciate it if they would contact me, personally and explain why.

If my or others post is way 'over the top' the moderator can delete the text in the post, and put a note in place of the text. Something to the effect of 'post contents deleted due to profanity' or whatever.

I do not approve of the moderators changing mine or anyone's words. If my words are changed, they are no longer mine, and I don't want anything attributed to me that I did not write.

If I had Carey's experience of my text being changed, I would most likely leave the forum.
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #14
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'

Well said Larry H! My sentiments exactly.
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC

As I see it, Baker cleaned up an offensive post and had a little fun with the poster in the process.* He explained it all via PM and even offered to change it if the Carey objected.* It's what mods should be doing.*

Rather than communicate with Baker directly, Carey posts his objections here, trying to make the forum look bad, gets upset and declares he gone.

See ya.
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
swampu wrote:
This forum really has slowed down a bit. Oh well.
I don't know about anyone else, but spring is starting early here and I am spending much less time in front of the computer screen and more time outside working on the boat (and cars, house and yard). Finally!
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #17
Guru

Interestingly my post was completely removed. I commented in that thread, that directly after the admonition to keep on topic, something about Summer in the PNW, was a thank you to the censor from Bonhommy. I asked how that was related and on topic to summer moorage in the PNW. Now my post is totally gone, no note from Baker about why. But, the off topic post was left. If you look at Careys post he quoted my post also, but only my screen name remains.

If the rules are to stay on topic, then why wouldn't the off topic post be removed? Oh, that's right, it was from the same poster who originally complained about off topic posts earlier in the thread. Not that the censor applies the rules selectively or anything.

Note, read this quick because I'm sure it will disappear soon.

Ken
2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #18
Guru

City: Hotel, CA

Quote:
FlyWright wrote:
As I see it, Baker cleaned up an offensive post and had a little fun with the poster in the process.* He explained it all via PM and even offered to change it if the Carey objected.* It's what mods should be doing.*

Rather than communicate with Baker directly, Carey posts his objections here, trying to make the forum look bad, gets upset and declares he gone.
*Completely agree with this. I've moderated more than one forum and would have a little fun with the senior members occasionally. Always handled it the way Baker said he did. With a Mod Edit note in the post and PM too. If it ruffled the posters feathers I'd delete it, most often it led to more fun banter with the members.

Moderating forums is not as easy as many make it sound, sometimes feelings get bruised.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #19

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34

I agree with Larry H.*

Please do not modify what I write. If it is objectionable then remove my post, and then please give me the courtesy*of an explanation so I understand why. *Or *better yet, give me a chance to edit the post as necessary. *
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #20
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

I can think of a few guys to delete but certainly NOT Carey! If you can have a "disagreement" w your wife .........forgive and forget and march on ....why not here? I hope your'e just being impulsive Cary. Please don't go.

Eric Henning
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote