Romsdal Trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’m wondering why the bow is so huge.

My thinking is that there’s so much weight plunging into a wave with fwd motion that the bow needs to be high and full to rise to the occasion. Pun intended. The extreme flare seems a final designers trick to keep the bow from mak’in much like a submarine.

So the bow flare and the percentage of the hull it involves is unique. But the most unique feature of their design looks to be just the very high displacement or weight. There’s no hollow wineglass section like on my Willard. There’s no typical keel that plays a big part in directional stability. However they do have a V bottom of sorts. The Romsdal seems to rely mostly on their cross sectional area to control or limit sideways movement of the craft.

I don’t see any stabilizers. Do these boats do without?

North sea boats have been designed with flared bows in order to deal with some of the nastiest weather around for a few centuries. My understanding is that the design of the Romsdal's was essentially the same design that the yard had been building since around 1860 as herring fishers that went out 12 months out of the year.

Just curious, but what do you mean by a "typical keel"? Didn't know there was such a thing. Also my impression is that 7 1/2' of draft does a reasonable job of limiting "sideways movement."

https://www.google.com/search?q=mal...hXJrVQKHfjOCk4Q9QEISzAI#imgrc=EbfzH_xIviGhwM:

DELFIN-4-JUL-09-3.jpg

I have used a new product here in Australia called "Aqua Prop", I believe it is used in Europe. it is very similar to "Prop Speed" but not the cost.
I had the chance to meet the Australian distributor last year when my yacht was up on the hard for a bottom job and he wanted me to try it, so I did, and a year later it is going well so I am using it again on "Torsk" we will see how it goes in the next year or two.
Cheers

Here are a couple of images of your lady when she was owned by my friend Pete Marsh.

DSC08939.jpg

DSC08937.jpg

Delfin,
“Typical keel”
Was refering to keels that are external as in not part of the hull forum. The tapered plank if you will. Fin like. An attachment. Fastened on not an integral part of the hull.

My Willard has a traditional keel but it's an integral part of the hull as being part of it. The lower portion of the "wineglass" keel has a large surface area and impedes the boats rolling motion. See pic.

Second pic is of my rowboat that has a keel that (shape wise) is not part of the hull form. And is not an essential part of the hull lines. It's external to the basic hull shape.

It's hard to explain so I just said "typical keel".

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 396 copy 4.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 396 copy 4.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF2499 copy.jpg
    DSCF2499 copy.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Delfin,
“Typical keel”
Was refering to keels that are external as in not part of the hull forum. The tapered plank if you will. Fin like. An attachment. Fastened on not an integral part of the hull.

Yes, that would be one type of keel. The structural keel of these boats results in a lot of volume for tankage. Around 3,600 gallons, to be exact.

Delfin,
You can see the wineglass shape of the keel area in the top pic of #93

At times I make a post on my i-pad in the living room and then go into the computer room to attach the pic. Bit of a delay there.

Delfin wrote;
"The structural keel of these boats results in a lot of volume for tankage."
She must feel quite different w half her fuel burnt off? Perhaps you're motivated to keep fuel rather close to topped off. The Willard has concrete ballast and fuel tanks probably closer to CG height wise. On average I have 2/3rds full tanks.

Last edited:
Delfin,
You can see the wineglass shape of the keel area in the top pic of #93

At times I make a post on my i-pad in the living room and then go into the computer room to attach the pic. Bit of a delay there.

Delfin wrote;
"The structural keel of these boats results in a lot of volume for tankage."
She must feel quite different w half her fuel burnt off? Perhaps you're motivated to keep fuel rather close to topped off. The Willard has concrete ballast and fuel tanks probably closer to CG height wise. On average I have 2/3rds full tanks.

Can't say I notice much difference between full and near empty, although I guess there is some. Delfin carriers a sizable amount of ballast in lead and equipment, and I can't say her waterline changes much when full or not so. We generally keep the fresh water almost full, but I never worry much about fuel.

Absolutely stunningly beautiful boat TORSK.
May see you up in OZ in 2018?

Hi Delfin,
Thanks for the great photos, I haven't seen these before and interesting as I will use them for reference and some sort of scale if I decide to build and install the mizzen mast down the track.

Hi Nomad Willy
On the story of the "big flare bow", it is great in a punch as it lifts the vessels bow to the sea and keeps the decks dry, it was built for the North Sea Conditions as "Delfin" has pointed out and it is a Old Design , proven, that has worked for a long time.
On the story of stabilizers, "Torsk" was built with what i call "roll chocks" see photos of launch,and they are effective, a lot of steel vessels in Australia use this method in construction for stabilizers.
I have only traveled around 1200 NM so far for the delivery to the yard for refit and had some nasty weather on the way, great in a Punch with 35+ Knots and 3.5 M sea, Slow roll with beam on and beam quarter sea way, nothing violent, felt good/safe on all points of steaming, I felt very confident with the movement of the vessel in all types of seaways.
Cheers

Absolutely stunningly beautiful boat TORSK.
May see you up in OZ in 2018?

Yes, that would be great to see you down-under and I would love to see your lovely Nordhaven, what a beauty!.
"Torsk" will be cruising the Queensland Coast, Solomon Islands, Coral Sea in 2018.

Sister pic

Attachments

• 12472788_1104792519542237_1101982202664848251_n.jpg
    12472788_1104792519542237_1101982202664848251_n.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 12986940_1104792452875577_6819784540353175883_n.jpg
    12986940_1104792452875577_6819784540353175883_n.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 222
Torsk

Hi All
Torsk is now ready for a 6 month cruse of Northern Australian Waters including the Coral Sea. Finally finished the re-fit and leaving end of April.

Cheers to all.

Attachments

• IMG_2171.jpg
    IMG_2171.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2174.jpg
    IMG_2174.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2175.jpg
    IMG_2175.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 151
Hi All
Torsk is now ready for a 6 month cruse of Northern Australian Waters including the Coral Sea. Finally finished the re-fit and leaving end of April.

Cheers to all.

Well done, Torsk. Send pictures as you go, please!

Hi All

Cheers to all.

Now that is a trawler! Beautiful!!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Hi All

Cheers to all.

... Can I come?

You must attach a trawler net aft in total readiness to dispatch in order to qualify fir the Trawler Forum “real trawler” certification! Seriously though, she is a beautiful “real” trawler.

Attachments

• 21940897-C4CC-48C0-A743-73C1F0959284.jpeg
    21940897-C4CC-48C0-A743-73C1F0959284.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 90
Nice.
Where are you parked now and will we see her on the bay before you head off?

Thanks to all for the great comments.

Hi Delfin, will post a few shots in the future, all the best "Mate" !

Hi Simi 60,

We are at Newport Marina, leaving first week May and going to "The yard' for a few days on the work jetty, then leaving for "Tin Can Bay" to pick up crew, then heading north, all the best and classic "Milkraft" .
Cheers

I went to Montenegro to look at Torsk and very seriously considered buying her. In the end - with other committments I couldn't take on the restoration project. I am happy to see that you are - you got yourself a great vessel. I am interested to see how you fit her out and follow your progress - thank you for the photos. It was a fun 5 days over there - between the flight in through the mountains, getting pulled over by the police for not having my lights on during the day (who Knew) and the trip home thru Moscow. Good luck with your project and congratulations on Torsk.

I noticed this discussion ended with the Torsk going on a 6 month cruise. How did the cruise go? I was hoping for a recap and some good photos of your adventures aboard the Torsk. I hope all went well for you and all that went along. ��

I did notice she was up for sale but didn't want to guess at anything.

I went to Montenegro to look at Torsk and very seriously considered buying her. In the end - with other committments I couldn't take on the restoration project. I am happy to see that you are - you got yourself a great vessel. I am interested to see how you fit her out and follow your progress - thank you for the photos. It was a fun 5 days over there - between the flight in through the mountains, getting pulled over by the police for not having my lights on during the day (who Knew) and the trip home thru Moscow. Good luck with your project and congratulations on Torsk.

I almost bought a ticket to Montenegro as well.
Sobered up next day and changed my mind, but still love the boat..:socool:

If anyone is after one of these boats, I know where there is a 52 or 55 where I think the owner has lost interest. It might be available, but I am certain will be a project.

I noticed the Torsk has sold again. I congratulate the new owners and wish them the very best of adventures with her.

Does anyone know the status of Ursa Major? Last we heard she was chartering in the PNW and Baja, does Joyce the doctor still own her?

Does anyone know the status of Ursa Major? Last we heard she was chartering in the PNW and Baja, does Joyce the doctor still own her?

Pretty sure I saw Ursa Major here in Sitka last summer.

Back
Top Bottom