Romsdal Trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm...sure looks a lot like Delfin's underbody, although yes, the rudder on a engined vessel won't be the same as that on a sailing vessel. I rather think that Archer's Fram, built in 1893 is a closer analog to Delfin, perhaps showing more similarity than that "they're both boats" and are "sort of pointed at both ends".

I'd very much appreciate any other drawings you have of wooden North Sea herring fishing vessels built in the mid 19th century by Norwegian yards. I'd like to include them in my collection, as I think the similarities between the powered Romsdal dude boats and those sailing working vessels is pretty close. But that may be an error on my part, and that of the naval architect I bought Delfin's hull from who thought the same thing.

Right....What I was trying to say is that I think "different" is a matter of opinion. You can see similarities, I can see differences. Anyway to give you an idea of the differences I'm talking about, below is a comparison of mid sections. All scaled to a common waterline and beam, just to illustrate the shapes and volumes. You will see Fram is the oddest of the bunch. They were concerned with her keel being locked in the ice so she's shaped like a barrel down low. To me the most interesting part is that a local 1960 troller is closest in shape to the Norwegian ketch of 1895!

Midsections.jpg

Colin Archer and the Seaworthy Double-Ender by John Leather is a good reference for Archer drawings, there are a few fishing vessels in there.

Last edited:
Right....What I was trying to say is that I think "different" is a matter of opinion. You can see similarities, I can see differences. Anyway to give you an idea of the differences I'm talking about, below is a comparison of mid sections. All scaled to a common waterline and beam, just to illustrate the shapes and volumes. You will see Fram is the oddest of the bunch. They were concerned with her keel being locked in the ice so she's shaped like a barrel down low. To me the most interesting part is that a local 1960 troller is closest in shape to the Norwegian ketch of 1895!

View attachment 27206

Colin Archer and the Seaworthy Double-Ender by John Leather is a good reference for Archer drawings, there are a few fishing vessels in there.
Interesting, thank you. I don't have mid section drawings so it's hard for me to comparisons, but Fram certainly doesn't look like Delfin's mid section. All I have are stern and bow pictures, per below. She draws 7 1/2 feet.

Attachments

• bow.jpg
    bow.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 217
  • stern.jpg
    stern.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 297
52' Romsdal "Terje Vigen"

Hi all-

I'm new to this site and came across your Romsdal discussion. I own the 52' steel Romsdal "Terje Vigen" built at the Skaaluren Skipsbyggeri in Rosendal, Norway in 1963. It was one of three Romsdals built there at the same time: the 97' "Neptunus Rex" (now Discovery) and the identical 52' "Orca" (now "Ulysses"?). The vessel is currently in my home town of Gloucester, MA. It remains very original and I'm taking time to rehab all systems and cosmetics in anticipation of long voyages ahead.

All three were built as "Lystyacht" or luxury yachts. Mine was originally owned by a member of the DuPont family, who remembers the vessel today as a special boat. The attached picture was taken last September as I was returning from a trip to Maine.

I have a fair amount of information on the vessel and would be happy to share. I'd also be interested in receiving any info you may have to share about these great vessels. Thanks.

Patrick Scalli
Gloucester, MA

Attachments

• Terje Vigen launch 099.jpg
    Terje Vigen launch 099.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 2,241
Wow. Congrats on having such an historic example of this fine vessel. Regardless, please keep us informed on your projects and upgrades. We love to swoon here on TF.

Hi all-

I'm new to this site and came across your Romsdal discussion. I own the 52' steel Romsdal "Terje Vigen" built at the Skaaluren Skipsbyggeri in Rosendal, Norway in 1963. It was one of three Romsdals built there at the same time: the 97' "Neptunus Rex" (now Discovery) and the identical 52' "Orca" (now "Ulysses"?). The vessel is currently in my home town of Gloucester, MA. It remains very original and I'm taking time to rehab all systems and cosmetics in anticipation of long voyages ahead.

All three were built as "Lystyacht" or luxury yachts. Mine was originally owned by a member of the DuPont family, who remembers the vessel today as a special boat. The attached picture was taken last September as I was returning from a trip to Maine.

I have a fair amount of information on the vessel and would be happy to share. I'd also be interested in receiving any info you may have to share about these great vessels. Thanks.

Patrick Scalli
Gloucester, MA
Most interesting. Everyone I have spoken to indicated to me that there was only one 52' built. Any information on history, photos, etc. you have I would love to get so I can include it on Delfin's website.

Most interesting. Everyone I have spoken to indicated to me that there was only one 52' built. Any information on history, photos, etc. you have I would love to get so I can include it on Delfin's website.

I have the build record from the Skaaluren yard that indicates the 97' "Neptunus Rex" was build number 201/15; "Terje Vigen" next at 202/16 and "Orca" following at 203/17. They were all built in the yard at the same time (winter/spring 1962/63).

Photo attached is 2013 launch day.

Do you know if "Orca" is now "Ulysses", "Torsk" or some other 52' I'm not aware of?

Patrick

Attachments

• Terje Vigen launch 045.jpg
    Terje Vigen launch 045.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 1,498
I have the build record from the Skaaluren yard that indicates the 97' "Neptunus Rex" was build number 201/15; "Terje Vigen" next at 202/16 and "Orca" following at 203/17. They were all built in the yard at the same time (winter/spring 1962/63).

Photo attached is 2013 launch day.

Do you know if "Orca" is now "Ulysses", "Torsk" or some other 52' I'm not aware of?

Patrick
Yes, I believe that Orca, which became the name of the class, is now Ulysses. I was told by Jim Rogers, who used to be the production manager at Feadship and now is a historian of boats focusing on Romsdals and Malahides, that the original design was stretched by 3 feet to build what I believe are the only other Orca class vessels - Delfin (original name) and Torsk, which was originally some other name.

Yes, I believe that Orca, which became the name of the class, is now Ulysses. I was told by Jim Rogers, who used to be the production manager at Feadship and now is a historian of boats focusing on Romsdals and Malahides, that the original design was stretched by 3 feet to build what I believe are the only other Orca class vessels - Delfin (original name) and Torsk, which was originally some other name.

Thanks for the reply. I can see the logic behind adding 3' at the stern on the later boats, as the 52' could use a bit more outside lounge space back there. I'm sure your 55' has comfortable seating in that space.

I wasn't aware "Torsk" was a 55'. Thought it was 52' but just guessed from online photos. I suspect that leaves the first two boats of the class as the only 52's built.

Even though the "Terje Vigen" was the first launched in the class by a few months, I can also see why they chose the second vessel name "Orca" for the class moniker. It's a much easier name to pronounce! (I'm told "Tar-de-yay Vegan" is close, which is a male character name in a popular Norwegian poem.)

Please feel free to pass along my information to Jim Rogers.

Patrick

Interesting. I am not aware of the previous name of the Ulysses. It is my understanding that they all were commissioned in 1963 and delivered to the west coast under their own power. As a previous post related there exists a great deal of information on the Romsdahl/Mal. site.

Interesting. I am not aware of the previous name of the Ulysses. It is my understanding that they all were commissioned in 1963 and delivered to the west coast under their own power. As a previous post related there exists a great deal of information on the Romsdahl/Mal. site.

Hi-

I've admired your boat from the 1998 Passagemaker story and the refit pictures Jerry Taylor posted. It seems very nicely done. I know the Ulysses was previously "Cynthia" out of Los Angeles in the late 1980's. If you can confirm that the first number of your documentation number is "2" (or something else-I have the other 5 digits from an old photo) I will track down the original vessel name and send it along. Do you know which yard built your vessel? If it's the "Orca" built at Skaaluren, our boats were built next to each other off identical plans and launched just two months apart. I'd also like to ask the owner of Delfin if he knows which yard built his boat and/or the "Torsk".

I had assumed that all of the Romsdal Orca class boats (4 total?) were delivered to the US by cargo ship. I've confirmed from the original owner of my boat that his (Terje Vigen) was originally shipped from Norway that way, and delivered directly to Boston in March 1963. It spent 15 years with the original owner in Boston before heading south. It seems that Ulysses also called Boston home port, at least in the 1990's.

As this is my first day posting on this site, I do find this all interesting and appreciate this forum as a way to share information.

Patrick

"2" is correct, we should play the lottery. Ends in 61. I do not know the yard she was built in, but would be interested in finding out. I am also doing some refitting as is typical with a steel vessel and upgrading some equipment and doing away with some other equipment. Replaced water and grey water tanks most recently and redoing forward compartment. May finish the work in the Dominican Republic later this year.

Thanks for the number. It will take a couple of weeks to get the original data, but I'll send it as soon as I receive it. My boat is very original, so if I may be of any assistance in any way, just let me know.

Hi-

I've admired your boat from the 1998 Passagemaker story and the refit pictures Jerry Taylor posted. It seems very nicely done. I know the Ulysses was previously "Cynthia" out of Los Angeles in the late 1980's. If you can confirm that the first number of your documentation number is "2" (or something else-I have the other 5 digits from an old photo) I will track down the original vessel name and send it along. Do you know which yard built your vessel? If it's the "Orca" built at Skaaluren, our boats were built next to each other off identical plans and launched just two months apart. I'd also like to ask the owner of Delfin if he knows which yard built his boat and/or the "Torsk".

I had assumed that all of the Romsdal Orca class boats (4 total?) were delivered to the US by cargo ship. I've confirmed from the original owner of my boat that his (Terje Vigen) was originally shipped from Norway that way, and delivered directly to Boston in March 1963. It spent 15 years with the original owner in Boston before heading south. It seems that Ulysses also called Boston home port, at least in the 1990's.

As this is my first day posting on this site, I do find this all interesting and appreciate this forum as a way to share information.

Patrick
I don't know what specific yard Delfin was built in although I was told it was in Alesund, Romsdal county. It appears that the firm "Romsdal Shipbuilders" was the name of the company that Varney started to manage vessel construction done by different yards in Norway, that were all based on traditional North Sea designs. For example, this yard build Sinbad: Eidsvik Skipsbyggeri.

The original plan I have for Delfin is only stamped "Romsdal Shipbuilders" and I don't have much more to go on.

I was also told that the original owner of Delfin brought her over on her own bottom.

Delfin - Just saw your boat on Yachtworld, my gosh she's a beauty!!!!

Delfin - Just saw your boat on Yachtworld, my gosh she's a beauty!!!!
Thank you Oliver. I didn't realize she was still listed on YW. I've asked for it to be taken down....

If interested, there us more on her at her website, link below.

Romsdal 52'

I don't know what specific yard Delfin was built in although I was told it was in Alesund, Romsdal county. It appears that the firm "Romsdal Shipbuilders" was the name of the company that Varney started to manage vessel construction done by different yards in Norway, that were all based on traditional North Sea designs. For example, this yard build Sinbad: Eidsvik Skipsbyggeri.

The original plan I have for Delfin is only stamped "Romsdal Shipbuilders" and I don't have much more to go on.

I was also told that the original owner of Delfin brought her over on her own bottom.

Your description of "Romsdal Shipbuilders" is well stated. That was my speculation of their role but it's nice to have it confirmed. No different really from what many U.S. trawler builders have done for years with Asian yards and continue to do today.

It doesn't surprise me that your boat made the trip on its own bottom. They're tough little ships, and that must have been one heck of a maiden voyage.

If possible, I'd very much appreciate a digital or hard copy of the original 52' Orca drawing. I'm unable to download it from your Delfin website. We could take this discussion off line if you'd like, as I understand you can contact me privately on this website.

I'll dig into the record on your vessel and should be able to come up with original name and ship yard.

Patrick

Thank you Oliver. I didn't realize she was still listed on YW. I've asked for it to be taken down.... If interested, there us more on her at her website, link below.
I'll definitely take a look at your website. :)

Pappy:
I appreciate the effort in looking up Ulysses' original and subsequent names. I tried to private message you with my contact information but the site assumed that I was spamming you.

Pappy:
I appreciate the effort in looking up Ulysses' original and subsequent names. I tried to private message you with my contact information but the site assumed that I was spamming you.

I have received a private message recently on this site. That may mean it's probably not on my end. Try again? If no luck, I'll send direct contact info here.

I think the last pm went through.

Thanks for the reply. I can see the logic behind adding 3' at the stern on the later boats, as the 52' could use a bit more outside lounge space back there. I'm sure your 55' has comfortable seating in that space.

I wasn't aware "Torsk" was a 55'. Thought it was 52' but just guessed from online photos. I suspect that leaves the first two boats of the class as the only 52's built.

Even though the "Terje Vigen" was the first launched in the class by a few months, I can also see why they chose the second vessel name "Orca" for the class moniker. It's a much easier name to pronounce! (I'm told "Tar-de-yay Vegan" is close, which is a male character name in a popular Norwegian poem.)

Please feel free to pass along my information to Jim Rogers.

Patrick

Terje Vigen is a poem written in late eighteen hundreds by Norwegian poet Henrik Ibsen
Pronounced like "Tar-yeh Vee-gen".

Torsk is cod in Norwegian.

Romsdal Fyord 37

Hi,
I have attached a photo of Saga as she was sailed on her delivery to a freighter ship in Bergen, she was transported to Long Beach CA (1965). I now own her and she is on the hard in Port Townsend.
Brett

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 274
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Ah, a Norse Saga...The Admiral and I spent our 25th wedding anniversary in Bergen.

Well that's a RAISED pilot house.

Lots of engine compartment space I assume. Nice sheer line and I love the big windows. Looks like she may have a lobsterboat/ex USN personel boat style hull. Will be interesting to see.

I've posted pictures of Saga previously - I owned her for only a couple of years when I took her to Juneau to live aboard in 1982.

Brett? Did you just purchase her from John Hilig? I also posted photos of her from when I was in PT last summer. A truly massive project ahead.

Keith

Hi Keith,
Yes, I bought her from John. I live in LA and will be spending the summers up in the NW. Port Townsend is such a cool place. saga is still up on the hard. Has been since the nineties. John pretty much kept the engine in top shape but the paint is gone. The hull is remarkably well preserved.
Brett

All three were built as "Lystyacht" or luxury yachts.
Hello from brand new member.
Found this site searching Google for Romsdal boats.
Kind of thinking about getting one, but long shot, very long..
"Lystyacht" does not mean luxury yacht, but rather pleasure yacht btw.

Been sailing for many years and now
own a twin powerboat. A Romsdal steel trawler is close
to my dream boat and because life is short, why not..?
The draft could be a problem in the Bahamas however, but still looking
for my Romsdal steel trawler..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom