City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
Yes.
Beautiful boats.
And Delfin is THE BEST one out there!

When she is in P.T. I often just stand and look at her with wanton lust...

Last time I did I got a little drool too close to her and Carl chased me off with his attack dogs..

On a serious note it is one of the best passage makers I have ever seen.

HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #22

City: UK
Thanks for all of the replies and information - much appreciated.

One of the original Lido Marine ads posted shows a Romsdal Fjord 37. Were any of these ever built? If so, are there any photos available for comparison?

I also stumbled across the below set of photos of Sindbad - scary!

FIMG_0002e | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

SJHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #23
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Here is Ulysses, a beauty I saw at Lulu's in Orange Beach, Alabama last year she was for sale.
Passagemaker Magazine did a full article on Ulysses, around 1998 as I recall. Beautiful vessel, although I think Delphin has her beat. (I had the opportunity to ogle Delphin from the dock in Anacortes last year as I was using the same "enthusiastic" broker at the time.)
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #24

City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
Ulysses is still for sale at Lulu's. My homeport marina.
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #25
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post

Varney went to Romsdal Shipbuilders because they had been building these boats since the mid 1860's and thought they could execute on a dude boat version of the working vessel. Delfin's hull design hasn't changed in 125 years
A bit of a historical note if I may.....

The ship builders of the Romsdal area had been building boats for many years, but the designs had (and have) evolved. The boats they were building in the 1960's were very different from what they were building in the 1860's, which were sailing boats. And the boats they are building today are as different again, big high-sided boxes. Norway has long lead the world in fishing vessel development. In the 1890's in the larger sizes they were starting to build steam trawlers, but the evolution from deep and narrow sailing hulls was slow.

Smaller boat's of the 1890's remained pure sail for decades..

Like this....

Click image for larger version

Name:	pola-3_big.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	27192
Tad Roberts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #26
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Yes Tad, they look as my forefathers craft - VIKING SHIPS
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #27
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post
A bit of a historical note if I may.....

The ship builders of the Romsdal area had been building boats for many years, but the designs had (and have) evolved. The boats they were building in the 1960's were very different from what they were building in the 1860's, which were sailing boats. And the boats they are building today are as different again, big high-sided boxes. Norway has long lead the world in fishing vessel development. In the 1890's in the larger sizes they were starting to build steam trawlers, but the evolution from deep and narrow sailing hulls was slow.

Smaller boat's of the 1890's remained pure sail for decades..

Like this....

Attachment 27192
On deck and inside, yes, they changed. But the shape of the hull is essentially that of a working sailboat, and at least according to Jim Rodgers, former project manager for Feadship, and someone who has collected more data on Romsdals than anyone else I am aware of, the Romsdal hull hadn't changed much in over a century.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
On deck and inside, yes, they changed. But the shape of the hull is essentially that of a working sailboat, and at least according to Jim Rodgers, former project manager for Feadship, and someone who has collected more data on Romsdals than anyone else I am aware of, the Romsdal hull hadn't changed much in over a century.
From a naval architect's point of view they are completely different, but that's just my opinion. They are similar in that they're both boats and sort of pointed at both ends....everything beyond that is different. The bow, the stern, the rudder, the keel, the midsection shape, the sheer, and the entire topsides.....but I'm pretty picky about this sort of thing

Name:	CArcher44.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	27195
Old 02-07-2014, 09:46 PM   #29
Grand Vizier

Quote:
From a naval architect's point of view they are completely different, but that's just my opinion. They are similar in that they're both boats and sort of pointed at both ends....everything beyond that is different. The bow, the stern, the rudder, the keel, the midsection shape, the sheer, and the entire topsides.....but I'm pretty picky about this sort of thing

Attachment 27195
Hmmm...sure looks a lot like Delfin's underbody, although yes, the rudder on a engined vessel won't be the same as that on a sailing vessel. I rather think that Archer's Fram, built in 1893 is a closer analog to Delfin, perhaps showing more similarity than that "they're both boats" and are "sort of pointed at both ends".

I'd very much appreciate any other drawings you have of wooden North Sea herring fishing vessels built in the mid 19th century by Norwegian yards. I'd like to include them in my collection, as I think the similarities between the powered Romsdal dude boats and those sailing working vessels is pretty close. But that may be an error on my part, and that of the naval architect I bought Delfin's hull from who thought the same thing.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #30
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Ulysses is still in Gulf Shores. Rebuilding forward compartment. Planning a Dominican Republic trip soon. Still for sale.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:34 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Hmmm...sure looks a lot like Delfin's underbody, although yes, the rudder on a engined vessel won't be the same as that on a sailing vessel. I rather think that Archer's Fram, built in 1893 is a closer analog to Delfin, perhaps showing more similarity than that "they're both boats" and are "sort of pointed at both ends".

I'd very much appreciate any other drawings you have of wooden North Sea herring fishing vessels built in the mid 19th century by Norwegian yards. I'd like to include them in my collection, as I think the similarities between the powered Romsdal dude boats and those sailing working vessels is pretty close. But that may be an error on my part, and that of the naval architect I bought Delfin's hull from who thought the same thing.
Right....What I was trying to say is that I think "different" is a matter of opinion. You can see similarities, I can see differences. Anyway to give you an idea of the differences I'm talking about, below is a comparison of mid sections. All scaled to a common waterline and beam, just to illustrate the shapes and volumes. You will see Fram is the oddest of the bunch. They were concerned with her keel being locked in the ice so she's shaped like a barrel down low. To me the most interesting part is that a local 1960 troller is closest in shape to the Norwegian ketch of 1895!

Name:	Midsections.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	27206

Colin Archer and the Seaworthy Double-Ender by John Leather is a good reference for Archer drawings, there are a few fishing vessels in there.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #32
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Right....What I was trying to say is that I think "different" is a matter of opinion. You can see similarities, I can see differences. Anyway to give you an idea of the differences I'm talking about, below is a comparison of mid sections. All scaled to a common waterline and beam, just to illustrate the shapes and volumes. You will see Fram is the oddest of the bunch. They were concerned with her keel being locked in the ice so she's shaped like a barrel down low. To me the most interesting part is that a local 1960 troller is closest in shape to the Norwegian ketch of 1895!

Attachment 27206

Colin Archer and the Seaworthy Double-Ender by John Leather is a good reference for Archer drawings, there are a few fishing vessels in there.
Interesting, thank you. I don't have mid section drawings so it's hard for me to comparisons, but Fram certainly doesn't look like Delfin's mid section. All I have are stern and bow pictures, per below. She draws 7 1/2 feet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bow.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	27212   Click image for larger version

Name:	stern.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	27213  
Old 02-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #33

City: Gloucester
Vessel Name: Terje Vigen
Vessel Model: Romsdal 52'
52' Romsdal "Terje Vigen"

Hi all-

I'm new to this site and came across your Romsdal discussion. I own the 52' steel Romsdal "Terje Vigen" built at the Skaaluren Skipsbyggeri in Rosendal, Norway in 1963. It was one of three Romsdals built there at the same time: the 97' "Neptunus Rex" (now Discovery) and the identical 52' "Orca" (now "Ulysses"?). The vessel is currently in my home town of Gloucester, MA. It remains very original and I'm taking time to rehab all systems and cosmetics in anticipation of long voyages ahead.

All three were built as "Lystyacht" or luxury yachts. Mine was originally owned by a member of the DuPont family, who remembers the vessel today as a special boat. The attached picture was taken last September as I was returning from a trip to Maine.

I have a fair amount of information on the vessel and would be happy to share. I'd also be interested in receiving any info you may have to share about these great vessels. Thanks.

Patrick Scalli
Gloucester, MA
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Terje Vigen launch 099.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	27558  
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #34
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Wow. Congrats on having such an historic example of this fine vessel. Regardless, please keep us informed on your projects and upgrades. We love to swoon here on TF.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #35
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Yup, swooning mode....ON...
Old 02-20-2014, 10:28 AM   #36
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
Hi all-

I'm new to this site and came across your Romsdal discussion. I own the 52' steel Romsdal "Terje Vigen" built at the Skaaluren Skipsbyggeri in Rosendal, Norway in 1963. It was one of three Romsdals built there at the same time: the 97' "Neptunus Rex" (now Discovery) and the identical 52' "Orca" (now "Ulysses"?). The vessel is currently in my home town of Gloucester, MA. It remains very original and I'm taking time to rehab all systems and cosmetics in anticipation of long voyages ahead.

All three were built as "Lystyacht" or luxury yachts. Mine was originally owned by a member of the DuPont family, who remembers the vessel today as a special boat. The attached picture was taken last September as I was returning from a trip to Maine.

I have a fair amount of information on the vessel and would be happy to share. I'd also be interested in receiving any info you may have to share about these great vessels. Thanks.

Patrick Scalli
Gloucester, MA
Most interesting. Everyone I have spoken to indicated to me that there was only one 52' built. Any information on history, photos, etc. you have I would love to get so I can include it on Delfin's website.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #37

Quote:
Most interesting. Everyone I have spoken to indicated to me that there was only one 52' built. Any information on history, photos, etc. you have I would love to get so I can include it on Delfin's website.
I have the build record from the Skaaluren yard that indicates the 97' "Neptunus Rex" was build number 201/15; "Terje Vigen" next at 202/16 and "Orca" following at 203/17. They were all built in the yard at the same time (winter/spring 1962/63).

Photo attached is 2013 launch day.

Do you know if "Orca" is now "Ulysses", "Torsk" or some other 52' I'm not aware of?

Patrick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Terje Vigen launch 045.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	27559  
Old 02-20-2014, 11:05 AM   #38
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
I have the build record from the Skaaluren yard that indicates the 97' "Neptunus Rex" was build number 201/15; "Terje Vigen" next at 202/16 and "Orca" following at 203/17. They were all built in the yard at the same time (winter/spring 1962/63).

Photo attached is 2013 launch day.

Do you know if "Orca" is now "Ulysses", "Torsk" or some other 52' I'm not aware of?

Patrick
Yes, I believe that Orca, which became the name of the class, is now Ulysses. I was told by Jim Rogers, who used to be the production manager at Feadship and now is a historian of boats focusing on Romsdals and Malahides, that the original design was stretched by 3 feet to build what I believe are the only other Orca class vessels - Delfin (original name) and Torsk, which was originally some other name.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #39

Quote:
Yes, I believe that Orca, which became the name of the class, is now Ulysses. I was told by Jim Rogers, who used to be the production manager at Feadship and now is a historian of boats focusing on Romsdals and Malahides, that the original design was stretched by 3 feet to build what I believe are the only other Orca class vessels - Delfin (original name) and Torsk, which was originally some other name.
Thanks for the reply. I can see the logic behind adding 3' at the stern on the later boats, as the 52' could use a bit more outside lounge space back there. I'm sure your 55' has comfortable seating in that space.

I wasn't aware "Torsk" was a 55'. Thought it was 52' but just guessed from online photos. I suspect that leaves the first two boats of the class as the only 52's built.

Even though the "Terje Vigen" was the first launched in the class by a few months, I can also see why they chose the second vessel name "Orca" for the class moniker. It's a much easier name to pronounce! (I'm told "Tar-de-yay Vegan" is close, which is a male character name in a popular Norwegian poem.)

Please feel free to pass along my information to Jim Rogers.

Patrick
Old 02-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #40
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Interesting. I am not aware of the previous name of the Ulysses. It is my understanding that they all were commissioned in 1963 and delivered to the west coast under their own power. As a previous post related there exists a great deal of information on the Romsdahl/Mal. site.

ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote