Old 05-21-2016, 03:14 PM   #21
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
What level of mesh is that on the outside and do you recall which fabric it is?

The cover came with the boat so I don't really know anything about it. But it looks like 90% Textilene.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:04 PM   #22
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
I was going to use clear double sided tape. But the edge guard came with small holes in it for mounting so I used three #4 screws.
I like this clear edge guard idea to support the blinds.
Is this a u shape or just an L, can you point to an HDepot link?
Is is made for window blinds?

sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:32 PM   #23
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
External Visor....easy to set-up...

Old 05-21-2016, 06:17 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I like this clear edge guard idea to support the blinds.
Is this a u shape or just an L, can you point to an HDepot link?
Is is made for window blinds?

L shaped. It's made for protecting the corners of interior walls. I just adapted it to my needs. Lucked out and didn't even have to cut it to length.

Trimaco 1-1/8 in. x 1-1/8 in. x 4 ft. Plastic Corner Guard - Commercial 01184G at The Home Depot - Mobile
Old 05-22-2016, 02:36 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
We have a solid Stamoid front window cover that snaps over it all, outside. But I prefer using the Textilene mesh cover; it also snaps over the whole outside front windows and "around the corners" -- but it also allows some view outside.
Both do well at mitigating heat from direct sunlight, but we use the mesh most often, usually throughout all of July and August, plus maybe parts of June and September.
Chris
I think you mean something like this. Yes, it's mesh, but stops 90% of light and heat, and on bright days, one can actually see through it well enough to navigate with care, especially just for a short move. Normally of course one needs it most at anchor, so it is no big deal to just go out and put it up, with the stretches at the corners, pressing home the studs as well is only necessary when we leave the boat back at the berth. Having used this, but having roller blinds on some side windows, I would never put roller blinds up on the main windscreens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0059.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	52267  
Old 05-22-2016, 07:48 AM   #26

City: Mahón, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
I have venetian blinds in the lower helm windshield. They run on wooden tracks to keep them angled-up against the windshields. They are easy to use and I always bring them down when not in motion to keep the sun out and protect the interior.

In my previous boat I had a wrap-around windshield cover on the outside which I did not use as often as it was more effort to set-up and to stow. In that boat I had mesh window covers for the saloon windows which I thought worked well but the Admiral preffered venetian blinds which we installed. These also worked well looked good and replaced the curtains.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-05 09.50.52.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	52269   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0035.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	52270  
Old 05-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #27

City: SoCal
Vessel Name: Ansedonia
Vessel Model: Californian/Carver 52CPMY
Hi folks,

My boat came with black snap-on window covers made of Phifertex. You can see through the mesh well enough to cruise with them up, but I usually take them off due to spray, etc. I use several of the folding automotive windshield reflectors when anchored. You can not see through them, but I slide them between the outside of the window and the snap on covers for the hottest part of the day, and they work really well.

Once it cools off, I remove them. Depending on which side of the boat is facing the sun, I can position these reflectors as needed. Low tech for sure, but it works.

Cheers, Bill
Old 05-22-2016, 11:16 AM   #28
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I was down at the boat yesterday and looking at the pilothouse windows with an eye to installing blinds. My boat has three windows forward. The center is rectangular with rounded corners. A blind could be fit there without too much blood, sweat and tears. However the two windows to the side are trapezoidal with rounded corners. No way I could do those. It is possible a custom blind shop could manage it, but not something for me to try.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:54 AM   #29

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
I have wood blinds on the windows in the saloon. They are in tracks so they stay in place and have a wooden rod that opens and closes them. They look nice, but underway they can make a racket in bumpy conditions. I would not want that in the pilothouse. I use a snap-on exterior cover.
drb1025 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:40 PM   #30
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Here are the binds I had installed. I can only seem to load one picture per post so there will be a few posts with different pictures.

This shot is looking out through the exterior mesh window cover.
Bill, those look nice and I like the idea of using the angled plastic pieces to keep the blinds in place. I like the nice, clean look to them. Good job!

That wouldn't work on my boat though because I can't reach the windows. They're too far forward from the helm and the stairs leading down to the staterooms. If I were to do something like that I'd have to run the pull cords somewhere that they could be reached to raise and lower the shades.

We almost never pilot from down below (I think 2-3 times in 6 years) so having the Stamoid cover in place all the time is not a problem.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:04 PM   #31
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montenido View Post
Hi folks,

My boat came with black snap-on window covers made of Phifertex. You can see through the mesh well enough to cruise with them up, but I usually take them off due to spray, etc. I use several of the folding automotive windshield reflectors when anchored. You can not see through them, but I slide them between the outside of the window and the snap on covers for the hottest part of the day, and they work really well.

Once it cools off, I remove them. Depending on which side of the boat is facing the sun, I can position these reflectors as needed. Low tech for sure, but it works.

Cheers, Bill
Good point about salt spray clouding the lower helm windows. Some people apparently navigate with mesh on the outside, but that means cant clean the windows. Interior blinds looking more adaptable for me. I like piloting from the lower helm station. One reason is most of the people are there.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:09 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Bill, those look nice and I like the idea of using the angled plastic pieces to keep the blinds in place. I like the nice, clean look to them. Good job!

That wouldn't work on my boat though because I can't reach the windows. They're too far forward from the helm and the stairs leading down to the staterooms. If I were to do something like that I'd have to run the pull cords somewhere that they could be reached to raise and lower the shades.

We almost never pilot from down below (I think 2-3 times in 6 years) so having the Stamoid cover in place all the time is not a problem.

Thanks,

If you can't reach the bottom of your windows easily then those blinds would not work.

In that case you'd have to go with motorized blinds. Or just keep doing what you do.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:18 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
Good point about salt spray clouding the lower helm windows. Some people apparently navigate with mesh on the outside, but that means cant clean the windows. Interior blinds looking more adaptable for me. I like piloting from the lower helm station. One reason is most of the people are there.
You can just rinse the windows through the mesh. Which works well enough for short trip or trip in calm conditions depending on how wet your boat is.

Plus it helps if you kerp your windows polished out and treated.