Old 10-01-2016, 01:46 PM   #21
City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I was on this ship in 1969 when we took a rogue wave at night. I don't remember the sea conditions but rough for a destroyer. Maybe 30', and we were running into the seas at reduced speed, but don't remember exactly how fast. Since it was dark, we had no idea until the bow started going down into the trough before the wave. The top of the wave went over the bridge and the gun director above the bridge. We know because there were two lookouts that took cover behind the director and they witnessed it. So the bow, two forward gun mounts, bridge were all under the wave. As the ship came thru the wave it had a strong continuous shudder. Nobody was lost, some injuries, radar sets on the open bridge and pilothouse were out. Some electrical problems.
A steel door in the spray shield that opened toward the bow was pushed thru the coaming, bent and found on the stern.
Ship was about 375', 3000 tons, 60,000hp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FEE_754.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	56918  

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #22
Master and Commander
City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Experienced the same, in a minor way on the Coot, when facing strong westerly winds countering a strong, countering ebb in Suisun Bay, Carquinez Strait, and San Pablo Bay. Good way to wash off the boat with all doors and windows closed.

Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:01 PM   #23
City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....

Ship-sinking monster waves revealed by ESA satellites / Observing the Earth / Our Activities / ESA

Oh yes, they are out there, and a lot more than previously thought.

My layman's explanation is...... remember as a kid you were in the bathtub making waves..... and suddenly something larger happened and it splahed all over the bathroom floor and your mother got all mad? That's a rogue wave.

Currently boatless but looking. Avatar is my first boat....Holland, 1965 ish.....
oscar is offline   Reply With Quote