Rocna's new Anchor????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
So I saw this posted on another forum and thought it would be fun:

Any guesses on Rocna's new rollbar-less anchor coming out? Countdown to announcement on their site. Rocna Anchors // Rock Solid
Is it going to fit my bowsprit? Will it be made in China? So much stress.
And.......go!

hehehehehehe:hide::banghead: :horse::popcorn:

So I saw this posted on another forum and thought it would be fun:

Any guesses on Rocna's new rollbar-less anchor coming out? Countdown to announcement on their site. Rocna Anchors // Rock Solid
Is it going to fit my bowsprit? Will it be made in China? So much stress.
And.......go!

hehehehehehe:hide::banghead: :horse::popcorn:

This is very old news. The anchor, called the Vulcan, has been out for some time now. I saw a few on boats in Anacortes a couple of months ago. I assume it is made in the same Canadian Metals fabrication plant in China that makes the Rocna.

This is very old news. The anchor, called the Vulcan, has been out for some time now. I saw a few on boats in Anacortes a couple of months ago. I assume it is made in the same Canadian Metals fabrication plant in China that makes the Rocna.

Well dang. I was hoping on a new thousand reply thread!!!! It hard being a pot stirrer....:eek:

New anchor

Is the Boss new?
Is the Excel new?
The Vulcan still looks like a Spade w an improved Boss shank.
To many any anchor since the introduction of the Bruce in the early 70's is new. The only anchor that stands a chance at out doing the Rocna's 5-1 to 7-1 scope performance is the XYZ Extreme. But it hasn't been tested.

Bro- if you can't stir it up on an anchor thread- then it probably can't be done. Heck, it was news to me!!

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

It appears the Vulcan is an imitation of the Boss which has been around for several years and has a solid record. With that said, why not just buy the proven Boss?

Price of those Rocnas, I expect to see a few disappearing off bows over the winter.

We keep ours padlocked to the boat when we're not using it. Reason is that it's an "original" Rocna, made long prior to the move to China and the ensuing flap over steel quality. Supposedly Canadian Metals has resolved all that with the manufacturing move from the Chinese factory used by Holdfast to their own wholely-owned factory in China with, presumably, far superior quality control. But ours is made of what it's supposed to be made of so we don't want to lose it.....

Old Deck,
Do you have experience w the Boss?

Greetings,
I'm retired so I can say that the boss is a twit.

twit.gif

Here are both of them. To me, while there are similarities, notably the relatively short, curved shanks, they are quite different in their fluke designs. It would appear that for a given size, the Vulcan has the greater fluke area, which I think is a plus. I'm not sure what the Cadillac fins on the Boss bring to its function but I assume they contribute something, at least in theory.

I'm not going to speculate on how well they perform based on a couple of photos, and while I've seen several boats in this area with Vulcans I've not talked to anyone who's used one. I've never seen a Boss at all.

Attachments

• Vulcan.jpg
    Vulcan.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Boss.jpg
    Boss.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Your opinion of the Boss?

Our boating area contains widely varied bottom types and therefore it is difficult to find one all purpose pick. We have experience with a 33 and 66 Bruce and both have found the Bruce rock. Also we have used Delta anchors with fairly good success. Our current boat has a 35 Boss and so far it has set in all bottoms well. Interestingly the spade end or working end of the Boss is significantly larger then that of the Delta and Bruce of the same weight. By the end of next year I will have considerably more data on the Boss.

Marin, the fins on the Boss function to right the anchor similar to the action of a roll bar on other anchors. The photos may be a little deceiving in that the fluke area of the 35 Boss is considerable. It is a little more than 20 inches from wing tip to wing tip. For those that would like to compare fluke areas they may be able to find the information on line. It appears that the Vulcan is a take off of the Boss.

I was hoping that I would not be one to get bloody fingers from typing too much on a anchor thread. Oh well, in the future perhaps I will be able to avoid these threads.

Old Deck,
As long as you keep posting pics of your E32 you can say anything you like.
Have you ever damaged the Boss? Handling one at a boat show it seemed kind of lightweight. It was small though but large for it's weight. Clearly though if it's lighter it will probably have greater fluke area. And many anchor experts say fluke area is directionally proportional to holding power. That fails to address quite a number of anchor design variables. Perhaps the Boss can be (more than most other anchors) comparable to the Fortress.

Greetings,
"...anchor experts..."

Full Definition of OXYMORON

: a combination of contradictory or incongruous words (as cruel kindness); broadly : something (as a concept) that is made up of contradictory or incongruous elements
ox·y·mo·ron·ic

\-mə-ˈrä-nik, -mȯ-\ adjective
ox·y·mo·ron·i·cal·ly
\-ni-k(ə-)lē\ adverb

I rest my case...

Old Deck,
As long as you keep posting pics of your E32 you can say anything you like.
Have you ever damaged the Boss? Handling one at a boat show it seemed kind of lightweight. It was small though but large for it's weight. Clearly though if it's lighter it will probably have greater fluke area. And many anchor experts say fluke area is directionally proportional to holding power. That fails to address quite a number of anchor design variables. Perhaps the Boss can be (more than most other anchors) comparable to the Fortress.

And your Willard is real eye candy for us. No damage yet. I have bent up several Danforths, does that count?

Greetings,
"...anchor experts..."

Full Definition of OXYMORON

: a combination of contradictory or incongruous words (as cruel kindness); broadly : something (as a concept) that is made up of contradictory or incongruous elements
ox·y·mo·ron·ic

\-mə-ˈrä-nik, -mȯ-\ adjective
ox·y·mo·ron·i·cal·ly
\-ni-k(ə-)lē\ adverb

I rest my case...

Cruel...but kind RT... :D

And, no...I'm noggonna say anything about anchors...other than "whats that long slitty thing running right along that Boss's shank, there..?" :socool:

Last edited:
"The only anchor that stands a chance at out doing the Rocna's 5-1 to 7-1 scope performance is the XYZ Extreme. But it hasn't been tested."

I believe there are other anchor models that can meet that performance besides the XYZ Extreme.

Steve

Steve Bedford,
The Fortress and ........?

I did purchase a 16lb (IIRC) Vulcan from HopCar for use on my 24ft bay boat for a fish anchor to replace a Danforth clone that was totally unreliable...actually I could rely upon it to NOT set 9/10 times. I had enough of that BS last year and laid down the dough for the Vulcan. To give a background on my experience I have used Fortress/Bruce original/CQR anchors on boats from 26-53 feet and have never had to reset an anchor more than twice in 40+ years until I bought this boat and it's lame excuse for an anchor so I don't think it was operator error....but that is only MY opinion:rolleyes:. Anyway...the instructions on the Vulcan warn against a hard backing to set the anchor as it's sudden set will cause an abrupt bow swing and possible damage to gear...yeah....right...good marketing talk for sure. Well....when this bugger sets there is no doubt and it will swing the bow hard enough at the set to throw one off the fore deck (ask my pop:D...and I warned him in davance!). I am very impressed at the ease of set. I was able to find well heads in 25-30 ft of water (the size of a VW Beetle), determine my drift on the plotter and pull, drop my gear and be able to have the darn well head underneath my transducer and ready to drop bait in minutes. They claim it will set in about twice it's length...I believe it.

Rardoin,
I had an anchor that set hard like that. Was amazing. But that one did'nt set at all much of the time. Actually it's setting performance was so poor I sent it to the landfill. It was 13lbs and held my 30' boat in a Gale for a day and a half though. But a slam type initial set dosn't mean it's a great anchor.

Actually the best setting anchor I've experienced set so fast there was no setting. When I started to back down the line went straight tight instantly. Like someone bolted it to a D-8 Cat while I was letting out the rode. The anchor was a Dreadnought. A bit like a Navy anchor but w a much longer shank. I see them only on fish boats in SE Alaska.

I called Ken's Marine in Gulfport yesterday and talked with Eric about some SS chain. A sailboater in our pier was installing some the other day he had purchased there and attaching it to his new FX23. Nice bling..
So anyway..
The 3/8 BBB we use was much bigger size than anything in stock SS- and looks to be way out of my budget anyway. He asked about the application and I explained about my 44 Delta coming loose and how I'm setting up with my FX-37.
His first comment to me was that I would have trouble getting it to set- but once the Fortress "bit" I should be fine. Interesting statement from a young guy at a hardware store- but I bet it has some merit because Ken's caters to the work boats. He then expressed suprise that the Delta didn't hold. According to him- most of the shrimping fleet is sold on "plow type" anchors. The best choice for the bottom terrain in our area.
Just thought I would share that. It's not what I expected to hear.

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Steve Bedford,
I have anchor tests bookmarked that don't support that. My computer crashed though so I can't post them. The collective experience expressed here on TF is very spotty on the Max. Some consider it a mud anchor. But to say most bottoms are mud isn't so far fetched. I remember at least one guy from years past that thought the Super Max was great. Also it seems sensitive to the throat angle that is adjustable on one model and the fact that they offer the adjustable model may speak to that. Basically I don't think there's enough objective knowledge to make that call Steve. What can you offer in that regard?

We have a Fortress FX23 as a stern anchor that can serve as the main anchor for the boat if we want to use that type of anchor. It is an excellent anchor, but like most of them it drags along the bottom for awhile until a fluke digs in and then it sets. Our Bruce was the same way and it seems most "conventional" anchors work this way, too. What I call the drop, drag, and hope method of setting.:)

There's nothing wrong with this and most of the time our old Bruce and the Fortress didn't/don't go very far before they hook in and set. Sometimes, however, the Bruce slid along so far we had to pull it up off the bottom and move forward again for another try.

So far we have never experienced this with the rollbar anchor. It just sets as soon as we start pulling on it. No dragging along the bottom at all.

The Bruce, Fortress, and rollbar anchor are the only ones we've used so I can't compare them with direct experience to any other type. There very well may be non-rollbar anchors out there that pound for pound, size for size consistently set as fast and solidly as a rollbar anchor but other than rardoin's post above about his Vulcan I've not read or heard any actual user testimonials to this end.

"Steve, what can you offer in that regard?"

I want to disclose that I have a business interest in Super MAX and I will not discredit the performance of another anchor nor their company. I got into this business because I love to anchor and I want to see more boaters choose the anchoring option. I want boaters to have an anchor and complete ground tackle system they are confident in and rely upon. All I hope is that when folks do their research on anchors, we are in the conversation. If that happens, I am confident in the performance of our anchor. However, to each his own. I, of course, will promote the performance of the Super MAX and I believe our success will continue to grow as more and more find out for themselves how successful it sets, holds and keeps you safe.

"Some consider it a mud anchor."

That can be fair or unfair. Soft mud and ooze are perhaps two of the most difficult seabeds to get an anchor to set and hold in. So if the Super MAX is considered a mud anchor, that is good that it holds in these difficult seabeds. However, to think that the Super MAX does not work in firmer seabeds is not accurate. The design of the fluke, the sharp fluke points of seabed entry, the fluke/shank/weight distribution design puts the anchor at rest on the seabed in the attack portion so the first pull on the rode starts the seabed penetration process. The pivoting arm Super MAX can be adjusted from a narrow angle sand setting, similar to other anchors that are designed primarily for sand. However, the operator also has the ability to adjust the fluke-to-shank setting to a medium angle for a mud setting or to the 45 degree setting for the very soft mud or ooze setting. Therefore, the large fluke area of the Super MAX works well in mud but equally well in other seabeds.

The CQR, Delta, and Bruce were excellent anchors in their day and they were state of the art when first introduced. Their design has been examined and used in the development of the new generation anchors of today. The new generation anchors have evolved from these prior designs and that is good. New generation anchors are a little misleading because these anchors are not "new" (meaning a couple years old). Many of these designs are a few decades old so not so new. However, the Super MAX, ROCNA, Manson Supreme, Ultra, to name a few, have some similarities in common that the older anchor designs to not:
1. Larger fluke area
2. Self righting for the seabed attack position
3. Flat or concave fluke design rather than designs such as the "plow convex" design.
4. Shank designs that promote deep penetration into the seabed rather than inhibiting penetration.
5. Use of higher yield steel than in prior designs.
6. Fluke points that are designed for immediate seabed penetration at the initial moment of pull.

The use of any of the above mentioned "new generation anchors" will generally provide a stronger and more consistent hold and a deeper penetration into the seabeds they were designed to perform in than the more traditional models. Each anchor has its strengths. If you match the strength of that anchor with the areas you will anchor in, set it correctly according to the manufacture, and lay out the proper scope for the depth/seabed/weather conditions, you should be pleased and satisfied with your anchor selection decision. A key here is setting correctly. No anchor, regardless of their "performance rating" will function even adequately if not set properly. Among the anchors I listed above, I believe a "less than satisfactory performance" of any anchor has more to do with operator decisions than on anchor design.

A live aboard on a "sail assisted trawler" who is known by many on various email list-serves has repeatedly stated that it does not matter if your anchor can "beat" another anchor. He states, "the only thing you need is to have your anchor and ground tackle beat Mother Nature." If one anchor is reportedly better than another and when they are deployed and a storm kicks up producing conditions greater than either can hold, I would say neither is better than the other. There are so many factors that come into play in assessing an anchor's performance:
1. Ease of setting and the ability to set firmly and quickly.
2. Ability to have deep penetration into the seabed without anything to interfere with the penetration.
3. Knowing the consistency of the seabed and planning accordingly and appropriately.
4. Greater protection from significant winds and currents.
5. Oversize. Some anchor manufacturers under-estimate the size anchor needed to properly outfit a boat. I recommend the largest anchor your boat, bow roller, and wallet can afford. I have never heard of an anchor dragging or slipping or breaking free because it was to big!
6. Anchorage geographic characteristics.

Books have been written on this and I have no desire to repeat others. My final statement is that the Super MAX, along with a number of other anchors listed above, can provide a safe, secure anchor experience if the anchoring process is done correctly and proper sizing is used. I certainly hope that folks will choose Super MAX anchors but I made a commitment when I purchased this company that I was not going to bash another company's anchor and only promote the benefits of our anchor for the customer to choose from. There are testimonials from actual users of the Super MAX that speak to its performance and all are encouraged to read these. I have recently sold anchors to boaters who had competitor's models and are now very satisfied and loyal to the Super MAX. I choose not to publicize the reasons these folks gave for their dissatisfaction with another anchor. I do not know if these are accurate or not. I suspect that is had more to do with operator decisions rather than anchor designs. I help my customers maximize the effectiveness of the Super MAX and I stand behind them with support and advice long after they make their purchase.

Steve

Quite an offering indeed.

Good copy and well said. I would like to say though that there's no such thing as "new generation" anchors. There's new, old, newish, "from the 50's" ect ect. New generation anchors is an expression of elevated advertising hype. Anchors don't have generations nor do they reproduce but evolutionary evidence of relatedness can be found in their features.

Testimonials have their limits .. mostly to setting performance that is primary and should not be made light of. I recall from one anchor test that a 35lb Manson Supreme held fast at 3-1 scope under a tension load of over 4000lbs. That is a supreme level of performance that will almost never be experienced by a skipper w his boat. Ultimate holding power can only be tested w big heavy equipment that we boaters don't have. However the degree of objectivity in anchor tests varies quite a bit.

So anchor chosing should'nt be made by tests only or dock talk but from years of varied input from many sources.

Back
Top Bottom