Old 10-02-2015, 04:03 PM   #101
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Marin,
You love to say "all chain rode". And now that we're not arguing about chain v/s line it has a certian ring to it.

It's interesting that you've had to use your trip line several times. Paid for itself then!
I mentioned all-chain rode only because when we are directly over the anchor with the rode tight there is no stretch at all between the chain hook and the anchor shank so the anchor is broken out very easily by even minimal movement of the boat. A combination or line rode might be a bit more difficult as it has stretch to it.

We've had the anchor foul a couple of times on something on the bottom in BC-- old cable, chain, ?? -- so the only way to free the anchor was with the trip line. These times have been when we anchored in places known for logging debris on the bottom so we rigged the trip line as a precaution. Ours is very easy to deploy and does not interfere with the anchor deployment or retrieval at all. And it didn't cost us anything as we made it from components we already had.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:45 PM   #102
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I can't explain it. The decades-old anchor design holds my boat yet comes out without a struggle. Must be the San Francisco Estuary's heavy mud in combination with the "claw." Foot on the peddle:

For boats over 30 feet in length, an all-chain rode "rules."

Old 10-02-2015, 09:26 PM   #103
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Well dang. I was hoping on a new thousand reply thread!!!! It hard being a pot stirrer....
Don't give up, this thread has a lot of well worn road to cover yet.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:21 PM   #104
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopcar View Post
don't give up, this thread has a lot of well worn road to cover yet.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1443838908.242750.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  85.9 KB

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:25 AM   #105
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I was looking fwd to more interesting discussion here but if all I've got to respond to is "all chain rules" I'll pass. We've uncovered some interesting new things though especially comparisons not thought of before.

As to the Vulcan I'm shure it will be a good anchor for the mainstream and because of the Rocna popularity many will be sold. I was even excited about it untill I discovered the ballast chamber. Everything old is new again?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:58 PM   #106
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Yeah but the Vulcan really looks cool! If I ever get Possum out on the water again, I'm going to try a Vulcan that is the same size as my Delta. I can't use a roll bar type anchor on my pulpit.

I expected the Vulcan to be smaller than a Rocna, of the same weight, but the fluke area is surprisingly close.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:41 PM   #107
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
I have two anchors on the pulpit; a CQR, and a Supreme. I have a question that I do not think has been addressed before despite all of the endless anchor posts. What is proper anchor etiquette, the Supreme on starboard and the CQR on port or the opposite?

Howard
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:46 PM   #108
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Meant to post the above on the roller thread. Sorry to hijack.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:03 PM   #109
Guru

Marty,
I don't know how important looking cool is for anchors but it seems to carry some weight. Weight is a good word here eh? I agree it's a good looking anchor and that's surprising since the prototype was so awful looking. Remember all the tractor seat jokes?

If the Rocna's fluke has close to the same fluke area then the roll bar must be solid steel. I'd put my money on the Rocna re that source but other than looking cool the Vulcan looks like it should be a good above average performer. On a performance level I really don't see how it could be anything but a smigin different from the Spade. And that ain't at all shabby. Physically I see almost no difference at all.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:51 PM   #110
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
So the Admiral and I took the boat out this past weekend to practice anchoring. We have a new Rocna 77Lb anchor with 550 ft of chain. When we went out there was a good steady wind and max river flow. We figured this would be pretty close what we would face next year on the inside passage.
My windlass is electric and I can operate it from 3 stations, bow, fly bridge and salon station. The Admiral's station is on the bow and mine is on the fly bridge. We also switched duties so we could experience both stations. We found the following:
[LIST][*]When retrieved, we found the anchor would be twisted and comes up to the bow pulpit backwards. I reach down and twist the chain a 1/4 turn and then the anchor aligns. Rocna recommends not to use a swivel, but...
I recently disposed of my swivel after several posters convinced me it was unnecessary. Often my Sarca would come up back to front as it were also, which is why I thought the swivel should stay. Then I really looked closely and realised, with all chain, the 'teeth' on the gypsy basically always orient the chain in the same way, so if you sight along the chain from gypsy to roller, you will see a line of links in one orientation, eg vertical, and the alternating links lined up horizontally. If not, detach the anchor and untwist those last few feet from gypsy to roller so they do.

So then all you need to do is turn your anchor/ shackle assembly and refit to the chain when the final chain link and anchor assembly, ie with associated shackle, are such that the anchor is now fluke point down, and as the gypsy does not allow the chain to twist, it should always orientate the anchor the correct way when it comes up. Eric mentioned this once, and I admit I was sceptical, but it appears to be so, and better still it works...every time since I made that change so far anyway...touch wood...
Old 10-03-2015, 07:03 PM   #111
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I recently disposed of my swivel after several posters convinced me it was unnecessary. Often my Sarca would come up back to front as it were also, which is why I thought the swivel should stay. Then I really looked closely and realised, with all chain, the 'teeth' on the gypsy basically always orient the chain in the same way, so if you sight along the chain from gypsy to roller, you will see a line of links in one orientation, eg vertical, and the alternating links lined up horizontally. If not, detach the anchor and untwist those last few feet from gypsy to roller so they do.

So then all you need to do is turn your anchor/ shackle assembly and refit to the chain when the final chain link and anchor assembly, ie with associated shackle, are such that the anchor is now fluke point down, and as the gypsy does not allow the chain to twist, it should always orientate the anchor the correct way when it comes up. Eric mentioned this once, and I admit I was sceptical, but it appears to be so, and better still it works...every time since I made that change so far anyway...touch wood...
Did the same. Same result. Albeit with a Rocna.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:24 PM   #112
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
I have two anchors on the pulpit; a CQR, and a Supreme. I have a question that I do not think has been addressed before despite all of the endless anchor posts. What is proper anchor etiquette, the Supreme on starboard and the CQR on port or the opposite?

Howard
CQR to port, the other to starboard.

(We don't have Supremes in our neighborhood.)
Old 10-03-2015, 08:42 PM   #113
Scraping Paint

City: -
Eric-- The Rocna's rollbar is a tube open at both ends with a small regalvanizing hole on the underside at the top of the arch.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:12 PM   #114
Guru

Yes Marin,
I remember looking at a Rocna on our float and know that it is a tube as is the Supreme. The Supreme's roll bar has 1/8th" wall thickness. Seems a little excessive to me.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:48 PM   #115
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
CQR to port, the other to starboard.

(We don't have Supremes in our neighborhood.)
Jeez, I wouldn't want to be stumbling back to my boat in the dark on that dock!
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:45 AM   #116
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
Did the same. Same result. Albeit with a Rocna.
On one retrieval today, I thought I had cooked my goose by the above post, as the anchor, when I stopped it just under the water to swish it clean, was back to front, and stayed that way most of the way up. However, as it happened it turned at the last moment, and still came up and over correctly orientated. So far, still 100% correct orientation on the roller since the anchor re-alignment after losing the swivel.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #117
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post

Thank you....good points

Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote