Old 09-29-2015, 08:17 PM   #61
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Haha Bruce .. The only time my Supreme failed to set I was using the slot for the first time w/o the restrictor bolt. Don't know for sure if the slot had anything to do w it's failure to set. But I think so.

Unless the anchor is stuck on something like a log or cable "soaking" it out w continiously tension should weigh the anchor w/o much trouble.

Mark,
If the shank end stays on the bottom the end should cone around just repositioning the anchor just like most other anchors. Perhaps the slot should be used w lots of chain as that's the obvious way to keep the shank on the bottom. And of course the slot seems to be aimed at coral bottom anchoring and one would assume chain would be used.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:03 PM   #62
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
I believe it's time to gather together all of the anchor threads and posts into a book so that Newbies can get up to speed quickly. It might not be a bad idea to convert them to Cliff Notes so that Newbies won't have to spend months reading the book. Who knows, it might be a best seller. We could share the profits and all buy new anchors.

hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:10 PM   #63
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
That would leave readers in total confusion.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:11 PM   #64
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
I believe it's time to gather together all of the anchor threads and posts into a book so that Newbies can get up to speed quickly. It might not be a bad idea to convert them to Cliff Notes so that Newbies won't have to spend months reading the book. Who knows, it might be a best seller. We could share the profits and all buy new anchors.

Here's an idea. Let's get together and come to a consensus to pick the "Official TF" anchor. That should be easy enough to do.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:15 PM   #65
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Here's an idea. Let's get together and come to a consensus to pick the "Official TF" anchor. That should be easy enough to do.
!964 Chevy 409 engine block
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:25 PM   #66
Guru

That's the wrong engine block. You'll be much happier with a Ford Police Interceptor block. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:26 PM   #67
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
That would leave readers in total confusion.
So?
Old 09-29-2015, 09:54 PM   #68
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
That's the wrong engine block. You'll be much happier with a Ford Police Interceptor block. Don't ask me how I know.
OK - I'll Bite... how do you know!

BTW - Chevy 409 was/is one of my favorite big block engines. Buick 430 is too!!!
Old 09-29-2015, 10:31 PM   #69
Guru

Quote:
And if you're anchored for anything over a half day or more in tidal waters, what do you predict when the tidal current reverses?
Based on experience, remaining firmly anchored. As well as tide change, experience includes the prevailing breeze typically switching from onshore to offshore overnight.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:28 AM   #70
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Chris,
Most everybody here has power winches so using a double size anchor has little downside. All chain rode carries 2 to 3 times as much weight penalty as a double size anchor. ... But the "biggest honker you could find" would sink your boat bow first ... dramatically. But doubling the recomended anchor size would probably add less than 100lbs to a typical boat here. You probably haven't even dated a girl weighing less than 100 lbs. adding 75lbs to a boat as large as yours wouldn't be significant. And adding weight unessasairly to a boat is something I've condemed regularly here.

So the option of a big anchor is open to everyone w a power winch and the performance that goes w it. With the extra weight any of the old anchors will probably have excellent performance.

Heh... yes, hence my additional provision: that I can lift manually, should that nifty electric winch crap out.

Even with all-chain, at least I wouldn't be having to lift all the chain weight all at once. The weight of the "immediate" length from pulpit to bottom would usually only be about 1x of scope, for us that's often around 15', so at 1-lb/ft or so, not such a huge problem.

But anyway, within my lift limits, I'm certainly willing to choose a 50-lb version of Anchor X if the 35-lb version is already known for a good track record in the typical holding grounds we encounter and would work well with our boat weight/length/windage/etc. As you say, for our boat, that extra 15-lbs is insignificant...

-Chris
Old 09-30-2015, 08:20 AM   #71
Art
Guru

One item I don't really understand regarding pleasure-boat anchors... in this 21st Century...

That is - Burdensome Anchor Weight:

DAYS OF YORE

- In days of yore, when high-tech lightweight, strong materials had yet to be invented, it was a given that all anchors needed to be produced with heavyweight old-school material products.

- In days of yore, when high-tech anchor designs had yet been accomplished, it was a given that the extra heavy old-school materials assisted poor anchor designs for setting and holding.

- In days of yore, when pleasure boats were often having or needing a crew of a few to handle tasks required… the weight of an anchor could be “man-handled” by more than one person.

21 CENTURY

- Today there are very strong lightweight materials available for building anchors; old-school heavyweight materials for anchors should become a thing of the past.

- Today there are a plethora of high-tech anchor designs available that will work well with new-age lightweight materials.

- Today many pleasure boats are single hand operated or crewed by only hubby and wife… so even though there are high-tech windlasses available… why have heavyweight anchors?

My reasoning for questioning “why have heavyweight anchors?” is simple.

In reality, during days of yore the heavy anchor weight was a very needed factor due to poor anchor design as well as no lightweight, strong anchor materials available. In reality, today lightweight strong materials for anchor construction would work great with the numerous high-tech designs of good holding ability anchors that are now available. The new anchors set and hold due to improved designs… not necessarly just because the heavyweight of material.

Fortress FX anchors are one of the improved anchor designs (IMO, they are Danforth design on steroids) that uses strong lightweight material. Their setting and holding capabilities stand tall in the field of new anchor designs.

So… I feel I must ask… why are their not now more high-tech anchor designs manufactured using lightweight materials so that “pleasure” boaters no longer need to deal with over burdensome weights of old-school materials that create very heavy anchors?

Happy Anchor-Weight Daze! - Art
Old 09-30-2015, 08:30 AM   #72
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
[COLOR=black][FONT="Verdana"] Then comes the time of retrieval! So far so good. Each task of breaking loose out of bottom has needed to be accomplished by rode being straight down off boat cleat and breaking loose by engine power; windless and hand power have been unable to accomplish what’s needed. The FX-23 always comes up with Really BIG Gob of mud… showing how great it sets… which is exactly why we purchased it. But, I must admit that Fortress’ deep-setting capabilities have made me wonder if it could ever get set so deep that standard means of retrieval might become a problem.
That was my point really Art. Just imagine if the fortress, setting like it does, but having only a really short stubby shank , just enough to attack it by, but so you could not get any leverage on it when deeply buried. I can see quite a few being cut loose like you described for that reason. Hence my comment on Eric's post re the best holding anchor theoretically having only fluke, and no shank.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:48 AM   #73
TF Site Team

Quote:
Peter B,
I said setting was a problem w the early XYZ. And it was. No such problem w w the later XYZ's. I think you didn't read carefully or made assumptions out of thin air. Also both of the XYZ's I've had come up out of the bottom easily.
I never pluck assumptions out of thin air Eric, you know that. I was however using the XYZ as ana example of an ultra-short shank type of anchor, and how they may well bury very deep- if they in fact set - and therefore might be quite hard to extract when you want to leave, with minimal shank to prise it up. This was triggered by your comment re the "best anchor in theory would be all fluke," or words to that effect. I was also influenced by this comment you made which sort of supports that shortcoming...

"I used a 13lb early XYZ anchor for a day and a half in Alison Harbour near QC Sound in a 50 knot gale. The boat sailed back and forth jerking the rode for hours and we didn't move. But the anchor refused to set more often than it did."

I suspect the old XYZ would have needed a pretty firm tug on that occasion cited above, would it not..? As to the later XYZs, who knows..? Hardly mainstream yet, but time will indeed tell. It may well be these even later generation spade-like, deep digging & curved shank anchors, might set a new benchmark..?
Cheers,
Old 09-30-2015, 08:57 AM   #74
TF Site Team

Quote:
Re my last sentence ...
I think I mucked up. The roll bar should pitch the anchor more straight up and other than the drag the roll bar presents it should be an asset to extraction. Not as I said. I thought about this as I was painting the deck in the fore cabin and salon today. Don't know what I was think'in.
Eric, I always have to tie off and use motor power when directly over the Sarca to engage the trip mechanism to get the thing out no matter what unless on pure shingle or over rocks. So I can only assume she digs deep, and in that case the roll bar, which on the Super Sarca is solid steel and quite thin - much thinner than the Manson and Rocna, and that it might actually help in the levering out of the bottom by providing a sort of fulcrum for the fluke to rotate around. Just a theory, in our bay the vis is such there is no point me diving on it to try and find out.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:01 AM   #75
TF Site Team

Quote:
And if you're anchored for anything over a half day or more in tidal waters, what do you predict when the tidal current reverses?
In our bay Mark, that happens 4 times every 24 hours, as most of the anchorages are in channels, with current flow and therefore boat orientation, in line with the channel one way or the other - causes no issues. It either does not trigger the trip, or if it does on occasion, the thing re-sets so fast you don't even notice. Does that answer your question..?
Old 09-30-2015, 09:08 AM   #76
TF Site Team

Quote:
Haha Bruce .. The only time my Supreme failed to set I was using the slot for the first time w/o the restrictor bolt. Don't know for sure if the slot had anything to do w it's failure to set. But I think so.
Not so Eric, sorry, and sorry guys for putting up so many posts in succession but y'all keep asking questions that deserve a reply, and most of you are in bed right now.
The shackle in the slot when setting the slotted anchor is in exactly the same place it would be if the bolt preventing slot sliding was in place, so absolutely could not interfere with setting unless you did what I'm sure none of you would do, and that just drop the anchor, and then all the rode on top of it at a standstill, with no backing up at all. Even then unlikely, but it might be remotely possible if you managed to land it on its end with shank vertical, then dropped the lot on top. But actually, I have sometime deliberately anchored that way to see what happens, and the roll bar virtually makes it impossible to foul the shank, even trying hard.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:18 AM   #77
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post

So… I feel I must ask… why are their not now more high-tech anchor designs manufactured using lightweight materials so that “pleasure” boaters no longer need to deal with over burdensome weights of old-school materials that create very heavy anchors?

Happy Anchor-Weight Daze! - Art
Oh heck, Art, I thought I could let up, but ye keep asking such good questions I hafta ansa. Abbreviating because I'm tired.

The Sarca Excel is available in lightweight alloy, like the Fortress, and Benn of Tidahapah attests to the fact it is extremely effective, and better still it dismantles in a nifty, easily reassembled way, which loses no strength doing so.

This is definitely me done on anchors for a good long time. I'm off to bed now - you guys will be getting up about now I suspect, so have at it...
Old 09-30-2015, 09:30 AM   #78
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
As I said there's no problem w the present day XYZ Extreme (steel) that Draggo offers now. And the only problem w the old prototype is that it had lots of trouble setting. They both release and weigh fine. But I can see where one would think that would be a problem .. the longer the shank the greater leverage would be availible to rotate the flukes vertical to come out. I've used the XYZ quite a lot and never had a problem w extraction .. And never needed to put tension on it w a vertical rode and soak it up.

But one of the reasons the XYZ has such great short scope performance I think is the fact that the shank is so short.

Yes I said that the roll bar could be an asset in extraction. But a limited one as the drag of the rol bar plays a part. So it rotates the anchor fluke up so the fluke is easier to pull up but the roll bar impedes the process anyway. Just as it limits penetration by trying to pitch up the anchor after it's set and trying to dig down. Then pitching up is not a good thing while trying to penetrate. And I think that would be a good mod for the Supreme ... to replace it's fat and heavy roll bar w a skinny one like on the SARCA. But Manson did'nt want roll bars being damaged either. With my own anchor I can have it repaired easily. I've liked the skinny roll bar about the SARCA since the begining. But I think I have even a better design for the roll bar substitute and/or replacement.

I think it did take a bit of work to extract the prototype XYZ from the bottom after a day and a half of 50 knot wind. I could check my log.

Re the problem w My Supreme not setting last week when using the slot was only a problem because I had taken off the roll bar. With the roll bar in place I'm quite sure it would have set normally.

Sorry for posting posts? That what forums are for.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:22 AM   #79
TF Site Team

Quote:
I think it did take a bit of work to extract the prototype XYZ from the bottom after a day and a half of 50 knot wind. I could check my log.

Re the problem w My Supreme not setting last week when using the slot was only a problem because I had taken off the roll bar. With the roll bar in place I'm quite sure it would have set normally.

Sorry for posting posts? That what forums are for.
I'm back. Yeah Eric, you are right, that's what forums are for. And I think you just identified quite correctly what upset the set, Eric - no roll bar. That's why those leaflets or winglets are there on the Boss, Vulcan, and the new Sarca Excel. To flip them into the setting position asap. To make your Manson Supreme set reliably now that it has lost its roll bar, and not so supreme, is you would need to weld on winglets. Might be easier just to weld back on a roll bar - maybe a thinner one, like you mentioned. Or, better still, since you hate extra weight, (understandably), why not just shout yourself the new alloy Excel. You'd love it. Being light, shipping should be reasonable too. Then you'd have a chance to experience one of these newer anchors before you give up the game.
Just a thought.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:40 AM   #80

Vessel Name: Wine Down
Vessel Model: Riviera 35' FB
Just posting as another 'Mason Supreme with shackle in the slot' - user. No problems to date with over 50 nights at anchor with the Supreme. Multiple tide chages along with 180 degree wind changes. Anchoring periods ranging between 12 and 72 hours. Not a single [noticed] slip, slide or other unwanted shenanigans from the Manson. I thkn the only way it could 'unset' itself is if the boat and chain were to reverse themselves directly in line with the anchor and layed out chain (ie - ride directly over the direction the chain and achor is facing). Even then - I'd say resetting would be pretty quick based on the setting I've experienced to date.

shufti is offline   Reply With Quote