Old 11-02-2019, 10:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Santa Fe, NM
Rocna resetting issues real ?

Our new-to-us boat comes along with a 40k Rocna, which is a good size for the boat.

My partner, however, has watched all the “SV Panope” anchor reviews available on YouTube, and on that basis has decided that Rocnas aren’t reliable in a situation requiring a reset. (We’ll be in the PNW.). There’s a post on a blog by a sailor named MorgansCloud that collects anecdotal evidence from about 20 owners who provided comments reporting the same thing.

For those of you who haven’t seen this video review, SV Panope sets the anchor in sand/mud with a 3:1 scope on all chain rode and then switches the pull 180 degrees to simulate a change in current or wind. Then, according to his tests, the anchor fails to reset after many many attempts. His hypothesis is that the point of the anchor gets fouled and prevents reset.

This might be a losing battle on my part, but I’ve heard so many great things about Rocnas from so many people that it’s hard to believe that this is an actual thing that happens in real life cruising conditions. My partner is convinced — based on experience that we have had personally and also the SV Panope review — that Mantus is the way to go. I don’t mind Mantus at all, but I’m not eager to swap out the anchor if this whole Rocna reset issue is a bunch of hooey.

Does anybody out there care to weigh in on their experiences — bad and good — with Rocna resets? I’m particularly interested in experiences that you and/or your friends have had — not so much in unverifiable internet chatter.

Cheers!

Kawini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Newport
Vessel Name: Privateer
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 52
You are correct. It is a bunch of hooey. After about 300 sets of a couple of different Rocha s, I have never had a failure to reset after a wind or current reversal. What an anchor can or cannot do at 3:1 is irrelevant.

SailorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:37 PM   #3

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
I feel like it's one of those things that can happen, but in the real world, given a big enough anchor, there are a limited set of locations and circumstances where this would actually occur.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:47 PM   #4
Guru

City: Anacortes Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
I call BS We have one on our 49 Defever and it works great, even in rocky bottoms of the inside passage, always resets. Would not trade it for any other type. That guy needs to set out a little more scope.
Russell Clifton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:38 PM   #5
Guru

City: Las Vegas/West Coast
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
3 to 1 scope is a bit wimpy for me. I think you could get any anchor to have issues with that scope, especially an abrupt 180.
I still have my trusty plow and plenty of scope never an issue resetting.

Well there was that one time when ASD was side tied to us in Shearwater and the winds (40+) dragged both of us across the bay. Maybe 115 pound anchor wasn't big enuff for that particular instance. Maybe if we had used ASD’s Rocna it “might of held” us. LOL!!!!

Tons of boaters we have met, swear by the Rocna they have on the pointy end of there boat!
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:41 PM   #6
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
We had the Manson Supreme (same design as the Rocna) and agree that the reports are not anything to worry about. 5 years with the Supreme, and 2 years with the Manson Boss have been problem free.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:51 PM   #7
Guru

City: Whitby, Ontario
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Much experience with most available anchors. I'll stick with my Rocna.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:52 PM   #8
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
3 to 1 scope is a bit wimpy for me. I think you could get any anchor to have issues with that scope, especially an abrupt 180.
I agree! I don't have a ROCNA but using a 3:1 set is right on the edge of not holding or resetting. (IMHO.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchor.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	95998  
Old 11-03-2019, 12:39 AM   #9
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Our Vulcan (Rocna without roll bar) has no problem at 3:1 in winds at 15 knots. Each 5 knots we go up a digit. In reality though with our 15 + foot tidal ranges and scope calculated at high tide, the scope is higher as tides decrease
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:42 AM   #10

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40
We had our 25kg Rocna on all-chain drag 3 times, 2 times on tidal reversals (Ladysmith and Clam Bay) and once on an incoming tide (Oro Bay, S. Puget Sound.) in Ladysmith we watched the chartplotter as we went directly across the anchor and kept going. All three locations have excellent holding so I would tend to agree with Steve’s conjecture.
In Oro Bay we had gone paddling and hiking, and the boat wasn’t where we left it. Not a good feeling so we changed to an Excel.
av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:01 AM   #11

City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Will pay top dollar for scrap metal value of your Rocna.

You can make your own
Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:35 AM   #12

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Spinner
Vessel Model: 2003 Nordic Tug 42
Not a Rocna user, but have a 66# S140
spade anchor set up with all-chain rode. Sets, resets, never drags, and typically on 3-1 scope....I am sure Rocnas perform equally well!

Sue
42 Nordic Tug Spinner
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:48 AM   #13
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
We are into our 1200th set + - with our similar to rocna Manson Supreme, often in areas with several knots of tidal current, 180 degree shifts and often with 3:1 scope.
Never had a problem.
Simi 60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Windmill Harbour, Hilton Head Island, SC
Vessel Name: River Girl
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 49 RPH
Early in the series, Steve (SV Panope) states clearly that his is an extreme test to try to show small differences between anchors. With 3:1 scope and driving directly over the anchor at 3+ knts, It's not a real world simulation - which is why I and others on this forum have found Rocnas & Vulcans to perform very well in the wild despite his results.

Imo the only take home from Steve's videos is that if your Rocna doesn't set hard immediately, pull it up, clean it off & reset as excessive mud on the flukes may impede the reset. Once set you have a reliable anchor that you can depend on.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:25 AM   #15

City: Comox
Vessel Model: 1989 Wellington 57 motorsailer
My 2c worth. Our new to us boat came with a 110# Lewmar Claw as main bower and a 60 # CQR (apparently very common on East Coast). My first order of business was to take the CQR of the boat and in to consignment and move the Claw over to back up status and replace main bower with a Rocna Vulcan (which I loved on previous PNW boat). If I had to do it all again, I would have left the Claw on for the first season to test it out and only replace it if I had dragging issues. I have had no problems with the Vulcan, so this is not why I am recommending thus. We anchor almost every night on our cruise up and down East Coast this season, almost all in mud and sand, and I think the Claw would have been just fine, but I didn't know it when we bought the boat as we were new to East Coast Cruising. I suggest try the Rocna and only replace it if you lose confidence in it.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:16 AM   #16
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
That has not been our experience with Rocna (or with Mantus or Manson Supremes, which we have used as well.)

We've taken a Rocna to the Bahamas twice, where we were anchored in tidal reversing currents for months, where our Rocna had to reset four times a day, where it never had a problem resetting.

We've also used to anchor in tidal flow rivers in Florida, like the Steinhatchie, Little Shark, and Indian Key, where the same thing happened and it re-set faithfully and consistently.

But, loose mud, is not the Rocna/Mantus/Manson Supreme's best ground for high performance. We also carry a Danforth style anchor (Fortress) and that style does seem to hold a little better in loose mud. That style has it's own problems with resetting with a 180 degree swing (I retrieved ours once and found the chain had wedged itself in the flukes and it was being drug sideways as we went downwind).

But, I always set an anchor alarm so as to be awakened when anchored in a location when 180 degree shifts occur, to make sure the anchor does reset. The performance of my Rocnas/Mantus/Manson Supreme doesn't really justify that level of concern. But, I'm a worry wart when it comes to anchoring.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:14 AM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Santa Fe, NM
I really appreciate all the input guys. Thanks. Maybe the search for a 1,000% bombproof anchor is like the search for the holy grail. You can keep looking, and even believe that you’ve found it, but . . .

I guess Av8r’s experience (post 10) demonstrates that isolated reset problems can do occur. They’re not unicorns. Still, I’m left wondering about what SV Panope’s tests actually show about real world cruising, and if they’re a useful benchmark to judge one anchor against another. Flatswing (Post 14 has a useful takeaway.) I’m guessing that even the Mantus - which passes the video review reset test with flying colors - would have more of a problem relative to the other anchors at certain scope/bottom/reversal conditions. Or maybe not. Maybe that Rocna result was just a fluke. �� Even the reviewer, in the comments section on the Rocna review acknowledges that his conditions are not real world conditions.

I’d bet that if I posted a similar inquiry asking about Mantus reset issues, I might find one poster in 20 who reported a problem similar to the problem that Av8r had with his Rocna. (Av8r - do you still use your Rocna? Have you lost confidence?). Any Mantus users out there who care to report?

I’m in the “use it for a season and see how it performs for you the way you use it” camp. But at the end of the day, if my partner is staring at an anchor alarm all night long anticipating a dragging event at the next wind shift, that doesn’t sound like much fun either. For whatever reason - whether rational or not - that video review has been the seed of a doubt about the Rocna.
Kawini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:31 AM   #18
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawini View Post
I really appreciate all the input guys. Thanks. Maybe the search for a 1,000% bombproof anchor is like the search for the holy grail. You can keep looking, and even believe that you’ve found it, but . . .

I guess Av8r’s experience (post 10) demonstrates that isolated reset problems can do occur. They’re not unicorns. Still, I’m left wondering about what SV Panope’s tests actually show about real world cruising, and if they’re a useful benchmark to judge one anchor against another. Flatswing (Post 14 has a useful takeaway.) I’m guessing that even the Mantus - which passes the video review reset test with flying colors - would have more of a problem relative to the other anchors at certain scope/bottom/reversal conditions. Or maybe not. Maybe that Rocna result was just a fluke. �� Even the reviewer, in the comments section on the Rocna review acknowledges that his conditions are not real world conditions.

I’d bet that if I posted a similar inquiry asking about Mantus reset issues, I might find one poster in 20 who reported a problem similar to the problem that Av8r had with his Rocna. (Av8r - do you still use your Rocna? Have you lost confidence?). Any Mantus users out there who care to report?

I’m in the “use it for a season and see how it performs for you the way you use it” camp. But at the end of the day, if my partner is staring at an anchor alarm all night long anticipating a dragging event at the next wind shift, that doesn’t sound like much fun either. For whatever reason - whether rational or not - that video review has been the seed of a doubt about the Rocna.
With all due respect- don’t overthink it. The rabbit hole of the internet can lead one to want to put on the tinfoil hat and go live in a cave with Bedouins, if you believe al the silliness touted as “factual”.

Anything can be skewed to produce a desired result. The Rocna is a proven anchor, as are the Manson, Sarca, etc. One test in unrealistic conditions does not set the bar for this product.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #19
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
In the real world, the boat being driven straight ahead over the anchor in a reversing current or clocking wind IS a unicorn. Let alone being accelerated forward at 3knots in such a short distance. And most of how well any anchor will perform has to to with technique more than the lump of metal one chooses. When we were cruising full time and anchoring out well over 100 nights a year (250 one year, and 50+ once we stopped cruising full time) , it was almost always in situations where the boat was going to clock. Our trusty (the horror!) Delta served us well, as did a Danforth before it. I've posted this picture many times here, it illustrates how a boat moves in a reversing current as well as a sudden wind squall.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #20
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
Rocna is a good anchor in the real world.
Two seasons in PNW-6 months each with a 40kg Rocna Vulcan and no problems.
Sometimes with a 3:1 scope due to water depth but tried to pick my spots when doing that (more protected)