Rocna resetting issues real ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
3 to 1 scope is a bit wimpy for me. I think you could get any anchor to have issues with that scope, especially an abrupt 180.
I still have my trusty plow and plenty of scope never an issue resetting.
Can't be to trusty if you have to use more chain than others ;)

I agree! I don't have a ROCNA but using a 3:1 set is right on the edge of not holding or resetting. (IMHO.)

Is it any wonder?
CQR copy and a shiny one at that ;)

I have a Vulcan 55kg on my 49 GB classic. A 3 to 1 scope is marginal at best. I typically use about 5 to 1 with the anchor setting very quickly. I would not trust any anchor that I have used at 3 to 1 in any significant weather or current conditions. I switched from a 30kg Bruce after experiencing dragging in Prevost Harbor to the larger Vulcan after dragging with 150 chain in 20 ft of water with gusts about 70mph in August 2015 summer storm. Key in my opinion is to go on the heavier side for an anchor and have sufficient scope. We watched 4 boats drag by us in Ganges Harbor (Canadian Gulf Islands) with insufficient scope with 25 knot with gusts this past summer, we were at 5 to 1 with the Vulcan 55. The anchor windlass will stall out when lifting the anchor vertically (about 2000 lb pull but lifts easily after wait about a minute with the vertical chain.

If you had the room, more rode with 70mph gusts.

Ganges is horrible. Had a CAT drag anchor and picked up my friend's rode. The CAT ended up nearly on top of his boat. 38 ft depth and he only had 60ft of rode in 35mph winds. That place is a mess. Never again.

My fault for the off topic discussion re scope.

The reversal problems mentioned by the OP may be related to the development of the scoop anchor. As they are very prone to mud up. If the mud has enough body it can stick to the fluke and the anchor becomes a new and different shape that has only about 5% (or less) as much holding power as a set anchor. Breaking out and dragging along the surface as a big mudball has far far less holding power than a dragging Claw or even a weed fouled Danforth.

My fault for the off topic discussion re scope.

The reversal problems mentioned by the OP may be related to the development of the scoop anchor. As they are very prone to mud up. If the mud has enough body it can stick to the fluke and the anchor becomes a new and different shape that has only about 5% (or less) as much holding power as a set anchor. Breaking out and dragging along the surface as a big mudball has far far less holding power than a dragging Claw or even a weed fouled Danforth.

See Crusty!! It wasn't the fact that I was side tied to you that caused us to drag halfway across the bay! It was that stink'n mud ball you had on that claw anchor....:eek::eek::facepalm::D

We have had our Vulcan drag in soft bottom and high wind. 6 feet of water with 90 feet of 5/16 chain in a thunderstorm. Manually picked up and reset and dragged again. Also in other places with “SO” type bottom. No issues with wind direction changes. Most times our plot looks like the photo in post 25. Bottom line is it’s not a miracle machine. Better than a CQR? Yes.

Last edited:
If you had the room, more rode with 70mph gusts.

Ganges is horrible. Had a CAT drag anchor and picked up my friend's rode. The CAT ended up nearly on top of his boat. 38 ft depth and he only had 60ft of rode in 35mph winds. That place is a mess. Never again.

Yes indeed, the Ganges bottom muds are stinky unconsolidated goop resembling what is called loon sh,,t for those of us who boat in BC. It can prove challenging in a blow. Tens of thousands of years of decaying debris over a broad flat muddy bottom, yikes.

The Douglas cruising guides for the PNW discuss bottom strata for hundreds of PNW anchorages. They rate various sites from excellent to poor. Not all are good and the rating has little to do with the selected anchor.

Dennis B, I don't hear anyone recommending 3:1 in a 70 mph blow. With those winds find a good bottom, monitor boat movement on your plotter and have an engine ready to run to relieve rode strain.

Ganges is one of the places I don’t anchor anymore. Not the best holding, and often some really surprising winds, especially when they spill over from the Northwest and come racing down the hills. Couple those conditions with a larger number of closely anchored boats, many at 3:1 scope. In a sudden wind, you can sit at the docks and watch the anchor lights start to migrate from one side of the bay to the other.

I get no sleep there unless I’m tied to the dock. Classic case of not being able to control your neighbors.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom