Old 07-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #1

City: Surrey, BC
Vessel Name: Bacalao
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
Rocna on Mainship 40

Looking for a spare anchor before headin up to Desolation Sound. Thinking about a Rocna based on online research but not sure if the anchor cage on our Mainship 40 will accommodate the rollbar.
IslandSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
I don't know what the pulpit looks like on a Mainship. If it's like the one on our boat there are no problems fitting a Rocna except.... the anchor bail or keeper on the front that keeps the anchor and rode from jumping out of the pulpit channel might be too short to accomodate the height of the anchor shank. This was our problem. The Rocna 20 fit but the bail held it too tight to lie down in the channel. We lived with it for awhile and then we made a new, taller bail.

Photo is of the original setup with the anchor shank being held up in the air by the stock bail.

If your pulpit is the Bayliner-style slotted " designer" pulpit, then you may have a bit of a problem. I've seen setups with this style of pulpit where the anchor was held in a partially deployed position with the top of the rollbar hard up against the underside of the pulpit. Not the prettiest setup but it apparently works just fine.

For a 40' boat I would not get a Rocna any smaller than a Rocna 20 and a Rocna 25 would be better. If you believe in really big anchors then get a Rocna 30. (The model numbers are the weight of the anchor in kilograms. So a Rocna 20 is 44 pounds).

Rocna recently realized that that the use of the designer pulpit on a number of boat makes was limiting their market. So they designed a non-rollbar anchor to specifically fit this style of pulpit. It's called the Vulcan. It's not a Rocna without a rollbar, it's a totally different design. In essence it's a spade or scoop anchor. As we are not in the market for a new anchor I have read nothing credible about the effectiveness of this anchor. There's been speculation on this forum about its performance based on what it looks like that's not something you want to base a purchase decision on.

If you want to spend a fair amount of money you can also order a Sarca Excel from Australia. This is a plow-type design from the same people that make the Super Sarca, an excellent rollbar anchor. The Excel does not have a rollbar and so will fit a slotted pulpit. Kevin up in Alaska bought an Excel and from his reports he is very happy with his choice.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
As Marin indicated Rocna recently introduced a non rollbar anchor. When I researched anchors I could not find any testing data, and I did not want to be a guinnea pig for their new anchor.

I did find posiitive testing data and good comments about the Sarca Excel, and can say that my estimated 20-25 anchoring experiences this season have been very positive.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:01 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Here are some pictures from a friends 40' Mainship with a 20 kg Rocna.
Attached Thumbnails
20150223_135528[1][1].jpg   IMG_3175[1].jpg   IMG_2549[1].JPG  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:07 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The Manson Supreme is a better anchor.

But not much better. It's superiority is in flexability. Performs over a wider range of circumstances but the fan club isn't as hyped so if you like anchor bragg'in rights the Rocna is the better choice.

This thread has already shown that. If you like to brag about your anchor nothing comes close to the Rocna.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #6
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
The Manson Supreme is a better anchor.

But not much better. It's superiority is in flexability. Performs over a wider range of circumstances but the fan club isn't as hyped so if you like anchor bragg'in rights the Rocna is the better choice.

This thread has already shown that. If you like to brag about your anchor nothing comes close to the Rocna.

Eric, here we go with that bragging thing. VERY few people do anything to Brag. There are definitely braggarts out there but none on this forum. Get over it, and Rocna is an equally good or better anchor.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:27 PM   #7
TF Site Team

Come on guys. The OP, IslandSeeker, asked if a Rocna would fit his Mainship.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:39 PM   #8
Guru

Larry that pulpit on your friends boat looks truncated.

Is it the standard fare? Looks like it was modified to fit roll bar anchors. Most trawlers that may want a roll bar anchor already have their anchor pulpit structures intact so most will either need to buy another type of anchor or change the structure on their bows. The future may exclude roll bar anchors as the market seems quite limited. And it could be saturated soon if it's not. Also many of the pulpits that do fit the roll bar anchors already have one. But not long ago I talked to a sales person at Fisheries Supply and he said they sell more Rocnas than all else put together. I think I'll ask them how it goes next time I'm down there. Perhaps a lot of boaters are buying the anchors w/o knowing if it will fit.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:04 PM   #9
Scraping Paint

Something you're overlooking Eric is the popularity of rollbar anchors with sailboaters. I see as many if not more sailboats in our harbor or in the Seaview North yard with rollbar anchors as powerboats. And rollbar anchors fit just fine on a sailboat.

So the market for this type of anchor is huge. While some very popular makes of boat-- Bayliner comes to mind as the most numerous I've seen--- use the slotted pulpit, in the overall scheme of things it does not seem to be the most dominant kind of pulpit around. And that's just in our harbor. Expand this to the world (and there are more outfits that sell rollbar anchors on the planet than just Fisheries Supply) and the market is massive.

And, as I noted in my initial post, people have figured out how to carry rollbar anchors on their slotted pulpits. There have been photos of this posted to threads on this forum in the past.

Quote:
Perhaps a lot of boaters are buying the anchors w/o knowing if it will fit
I suspect not. A boater who is interested enough in getting an effective anchor is most likely going to be smart enough to figure out what fits and what doesn't before buying or ordering anything.

When we decided to learn more about the Rocna they were almost unknown in this region. While the company had a website it did not have the information on it that it does now. When I called Rocna in New Zealand to talk to them about their product I asked if they thought it would fit our pulpit. They e-mailed me a diagram of the anchor with the key dimensions called out in a table containing all their then-current models so I could determine the fit. I believe this sizing table or a similar one is now included on the company's website.

For us the big question was the pulpit bail. From the sizing diagram we were sent we knew it was going to be a very tight fit, which it turned out to be. But we figured if we had to we could make a taller one, which we ultimately did.

So I don't think people are buying these things without knowing beforehand if they will work on their boat. The OP in this thread is a good example. He's not simply going out and buying an anchor and then crossing his fingers that it will fit when he gets it home. He's asking the question first.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:12 PM   #10
TF Site Team

Eric: John did not modify his Mainship to accept a Rocna, I can guarantee that. Not his style. Here's a picture of when he bought the new Rocna. The other picture is of another 2005 Mainship's bow listed on Yachtworld. Same as John's. Mainship was in business from the 70's till 200? Maybe they changed anchor roller configurations. I'm just posting the information that I have trying to help the OP.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2290[1].jpg   922042_0_090820101117_9[1].jpg  
Old 07-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #11
Guru

You could be right Marin.

Larry it's amazing how similar the shanks are on the Delta and Rocna.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #12
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Islandseeker shame on you! You said the "A" word. Look what you started. Besides which, the Vulcan is the coolest anchor.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:13 PM   #13
Guru

"coolest anchor" ..... Butt ugly IMO. As anchors go the Rocna is quite attractive and it's hard to belive they came from the same source.

There's only one anchor that really looks cool ... Ultra. I saw several at North Harbor Diesel the other day and I don't see how any other can ever outdo the Ultra for bling and Beautiful lines.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:53 PM   #14
Scraping Paint

Debating which anchor is the prettiest ("Beautiful lines," Eric???) strikes me as sort of like arguing over which dinosaur had the best-smelling poop. There might be a winner but it would be the best of a bad lot.

From a design point of view, every anchor looks like (s)crap to me. Functional, sure. But pretty? That's quite a stretch. Boats would look a lot nicer without that ugly, angular piece of rubbish hanging off the front.

This is a bad reproduction of just about my all-time favorite maritime photo. Taken by Alfred Beken in 1935, the boat is Tommy Sopwith's J-Class America's Cup challenger Endeavour. Imagine how crappy it would have looked to have a jagged piece of bent steel hanging off the bow.
Attached Thumbnails
Endeavour.jpg  
Old 07-06-2015, 11:07 PM   #15
Guru

You guys are so easy. I knew that comment would get you guys stirred up.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:15 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
You guys are so easy. I knew that comment would get you guys stirred up.
Your "cool anchor" is okay. It was the "beautiful lines" that got me laughing so hard.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:39 PM   #17
Guru

Marin, it's a sure bet that if anyone mentions anchors, Eric will get poetic on us.
That man do love anchors. He even gives us useful information sometimes. But it's easy to pull his chain. "Chain" get it?
Old 07-06-2015, 11:58 PM   #18
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Rocna on Mainship 40

So since the Rocna has lines, what is it, a displacement anchor or semi planning? Also if you attach a trawl to the tag Line hole, in the shank would it be considered a trawler?

So many questions, and so many unanswered....
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:22 AM   #19
Guru

Oliver, you are a trouble maker.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:48 AM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Laidley
Oliver.

Now you will open this post up to Twin anchors, Petrol / Diesel ans so on.

But it was funny.
Manly Q. is offline   Reply With Quote