Old 07-07-2015, 08:15 AM   #21
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manly Q. View Post
Oliver.

Now you will open this post up to Twin anchors, Petrol / Diesel ans so on.

But it was funny.

Didn't even think of that!

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:25 AM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Oliver the only anchor that I said had "lines" was the Ultra. Not Rocna.

Marin I like your post #14. But I wasn't debating which anchor was the prettiest. There's only one that's pretty and I called it out .. the Ultra. No mention of others but the Claw cold be a distant runner up. Spade is good looking too but I said the Rocna wasn't that hard to look at as well. But someone will want to dismiss it as the "eye of the beholder" crap so I'll stop.

And HopCar the Vulcan would be one of your products .. right?
Good one about the chain though.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:39 AM   #23
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandSeeker View Post
Looking for a spare anchor before headin up to Desolation Sound. Thinking about a Rocna based on online research but not sure if the anchor cage on our Mainship 40 will accommodate the rollbar.

It may help to know whether you're meaning a 40' Double Cabin model from the '80s, or a 40' planing boat from the '90s, or a newer 40' Mainship from the 2000's.

And maybe a pic or description of your pulpit would help. Some generic pulpits have a slot through which the anchor fits, some mount the anchor over the end...

-Chris
Old 07-07-2015, 09:41 AM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Myers
I think the OP received his answer with the nice pic of the 40 with a Rocna, one thing we did was download the print of the model we were interested (need to piece together a bunch of printed pages) and then looked at it on place on the bow, the print was accurate and represented the real thing when mounted. Just a little FYI.
Marlinmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:07 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
So since the Rocna has lines, what is it, a displacement anchor or semi planning? Also if you attach a trawl to the tag Line hole, in the shank would it be considered a trawler?

So many questions, and so many unanswered....
For the record, the Rocna's tag line hole (I assume this is the same as a trip line?) is not in the shank. The hole in the shank is for a tandem anchor, not for backing the anchor out.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #26
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
I saw the Ultra anchor demo at the TrawlerFest in FL this past spring and it looked good (as all demos are supposed to). Has anyone actually pulled on one to see it set in anything other than sandy bottoms?

The polished stainless version of the Ultra anchor surely is boat bling, but will it keep you where you put it?
stubones99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:11 PM   #27
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
I saw the Ultra anchor demo at the TrawlerFest in FL this past spring and it looked good (as all demos are supposed to). Has anyone actually pulled on one to see it set in anything other than sandy bottoms?

The polished stainless version of the Ultra anchor surely is boat bling, but will it keep you where you put it?

They only make them in stainless.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:53 PM   #28
Guru

Bones,
Per Oliver I've not seen non-stainless either.

eyshulman (Ed) has one on his 48' Devlin coastal cruiser.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:50 PM   #29
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Eric, yes the Vulcan is one of my products. I'd love to say it's a great anchor but I don't know anybody who has tried one. I just think it looks cool. I'm going to replace my rusty old Delta with one but I won't get to try it for many months. I'm about to start a long redo project on Possum.

I'll give you that the Ultra is pretty cool looking too. It kind of looks to me that Canada Metal " borrowed" the Ultra blade design and that Ultra "borrowed" the shank design from the Delta.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:59 PM   #30
Guru

Parks,
Looks like the upper part of the "tractor seat" is supposed to do the job of the roll bar. But it's way bigger and probably heavier. As a conversation pice it may be cool though. I haven't heard anything about the Vulcans performance either. I'll bet the Rocna is better though. There was a thread on the Vulcan some time ago. I thought by now we'd know all about it. Re the shanks perhaps Rocna snitched the shank from Delta. It's hard to find an anchor that dosn't resemble another anchor.

I cut the roll bar off of my Supreme but haven't used it yet.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:38 AM   #31

City: Surrey, BC
Vessel Name: Bacalao
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
Thanks for the quick responses. Very helpful. I think the pulpit (now I know the proper terminology) on our Mainship looks the same as the one on Larry's friend's boat. I have attached a photo of the pulpit of our boat with a 35 lb delta style anchor. I think the Rocna would fit. Based on the length and weight Marin is on track with the manufacturer's recommendations re size. Interesting though that the recommended weight for a Rocna is a fair bit more than the Delta we bought the boat with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1639.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	41834  
IslandSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:57 AM   #32
Scraping Paint

City: -
Based on your photo I would appear to me that a Rocna or any roll bar anchor will fit just fine.

Regarding the recommended weight, when I talked to Rocna a number of years ago about their anchor one of the things they told me was that their weight/sizing chart is based on using the anchor under storm conditions. They said (and I don't know if this is true) that some anchor manufacturers' sizing charts are based on an anchor for normal or typical conditions, not storm conditions. Whether this is to make their anchors more competitive price-wise I have no idea although I suppose it's a possibility. Since the chances of the average recreational boater actually encountering storm conditions while at anchor are relatively slim, perhaps there's some truth to it.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:43 AM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
If you want to know if a Rocna will fit your pulpit, the Rocna site has (or did when I was looking at the Rocna) templates for each size anchor that you can download and print out. Transfer the outlines from a template to some thin ply (doorskin), cut it out and try it for fit on your pulpit. I was worried that the roll bar would not clear the end of our pulpit. The mockup from the template showed that it would just clear, so we bought the Rocna.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rocna.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	41836  
Old 07-08-2015, 08:49 AM   #34
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandSeeker View Post
Thanks for the quick responses. Very helpful. I think the pulpit (now I know the proper terminology) on our Mainship looks the same as the one on Larry's friend's boat. I have attached a photo of the pulpit of our boat with a 35 lb delta style anchor. I think the Rocna would fit. Based on the length and weight Marin is on track with the manufacturer's recommendations re size. Interesting though that the recommended weight for a Rocna is a fair bit more than the Delta we bought the boat with.

Looks like with that kind of pulpit/roller system, you could mount any type of anchor you might like.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight difference. Silverton delivered our boat (new, to the original owner) with the tiniest Delta (22-lb) that could remotely work for our size boat... in calm weather and perfect holding grounds... and with no regard to our windage profile. Probably on the assumption that US powerboat people don't anchor out much, anyway, only marina-hop in nice weather. (Horse hockey! Although I'm guessing the original owner very likely never anchored once. Anyway, I wouldn't consider anything less than a 44-lb Delta for our boat.)

Mainship (another Luhrs Group company, at the time) may well have done the same.

-Chris
Old 07-08-2015, 09:17 AM   #35
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
There is a mega yacht called Rebecca that summers here. No anchor on her bow. They have a well below decks that the anchor deploys from. When she is anchored there is no rode visible. The boat just appears to be sitting there. No idea what anchor they use, but the anchor must be fairly hefty to hold a 170 ton 150' sailing yacht.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:22 AM   #36
Guru

is this it?
Old 07-08-2015, 09:27 AM   #37
Guru

Some boats have an eye down at the bottom of the bobstay which is near the waterline. They could tie the anchor off there, and reduce the bucking of the boat in heavy weather. That way, you wouldn't see the anchor line, since it is at or below the waterline.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:37 AM   #38
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Yes that is the boat. No they don't have an eye at the waterline. As I said the anchor is in a well below deck so it isn't visible.

Here is a pic of her at anchor

TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:29 AM   #39
Guru

The anchor probably is mounted through the bottom of the hull. You can see such anchors on the Manson anchor site. The anchor is called "hiding". The bottom of the anchor becomes part of the hull when the anchor I'd pulled all the way up.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:00 AM   #40
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
This probably won't help the OP at all, I just wanted to post a picture of the Bayliner pulpit with it's two anchors and the Jarvis Newman in the background.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bow pulpit.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	41839