Rocky Point (Puerto Peñasco) in the Sea of Cortez

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

O C Diver

Guru
Vessel Name
Slow Hand
Vessel Make
Cherubini Independence 45
Looking for information on Rocky Point in the top of the Sea of Cortez.

Will be going to La Paz Mexico next month to look at a trawler. If I buy it, I will either need to motor it up the Sea of Cortez to Rocky Point (800+/- miles) where it hopefully will be loaded on a boat hauler bound for FL, or motor out the Sea of Cortez and up to San Diego (1200+/- miles) and then hauled to FL.

I'm told Rocky Point is a common pick up and drop off point for boats being put in the Sea of Cortez, but haven't been able to find much on the internet about boat delivery to and from there. Anybody have any recent 1st or 2nd hand experience with Rocky Point?

Wish I were 20 years younger and less risk averse. I would head south through the Panama Canal and have a real adventure. :nonono:

Ted

Per the rules (not familiar with whose rules) a boat cannot be picked up, shipped, then delivered all within the USA, so to ship a boat to FL Ensenada would be the closest stop for dockwise etc.

Per the rules (not familiar with whose rules) a boat cannot be picked up, shipped, then delivered all within the USA, so to ship a boat to FL Ensenada would be the closest stop for dockwise etc.
The boat hauler I was referring to is an over the truck and boat trailer. BTW, Rocky Point is in Mexico. The rule you are referring to is the Jones act. Which prohibits foreign built vessels from hauling cargo between USA ports. Transporting the boat by ship was more than twice as expensive last time I looked.

Ted

Years ago when I lived in Tucson, AZ I used to take the kids camping on the beach at Rocky Point. In those days (late 80's) it wasn't much of a town, the road leading north was a narrow 2-lane with lots of potholes, and I remember the tide range was significant. You may want to look into San Carlos/Guaymas as a shipping point...much bigger city with excellent 4-lane highway heading north into the USA. And it's a shorter trip from La Paz that going all the way north to Rocky Point. Good luck.

You may want to look into San Carlos/Guaymas as a shipping point...much bigger city with excellent 4-lane highway heading north into the USA. And it's a shorter trip from La Paz that going all the way north to Rocky Point. Good luck.
Correcto Mundo! That's the place to load a boat that''s going north. My brother has done it several times. :blush:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom