Old 09-03-2023, 09:23 AM   #1
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
There is humor everywhere, even selling a boat

As many of you may remember, I recently sold my boat. It was not a totally pleasant experience nor was the experience all bad. However it is an experience that I would NOT recommend to any boat owner. (Good luck with that, right?)

To refresh memories. My boat was a 36 foot Albin aft cabin trawler, a 1978 model. It was well appointed with electronics, extras like bow thruster and genny. It featured a recently rebuilt Ford Lehman engine. The rebuild cost me $20,000, I have the documentation. But remember the boat was 45 years old. I was asking only $25,000 for the boat.

I showed it about 10 times, answered numerous calls and texts, many asking for more photos and information which was in the various ads I had posted (Trawler Forum, Craigs List and Marketplace)

Now the humerus part....

I could tell one buyer didnt like something about the boat, although his spouse was quite excited. When he decided to pass on the boat he said, "there is a lot of wood which will need regular maintenance". Duh!!

One fellow texted me saying his spouse wanted a newer boat..Don't we all? , why look at a $25,000 boat if you are able to buy a newer boat?

One lady said she was not interested because the refrigerator was not very big.

One fellow offered to send my a $500 deposit on the condition I would hold the boat for about a month until he could come see it. That would be October, the boat long having been on the hard by then.

Of course I had the normal scam calls which I recognised immediately and rejected.

Some offered rediculious trades. Snowmobiles, motorcycles, etc. Not interested.

In closing I will quote the old phrase. "The two happiest days in a boaters life are the day he buys his boat and the day he sells it" I would have to differ with that. Selling my boat was not a happy occasion, I'll miss it.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 09:42 AM   #2
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Pete, you gave it away faster than I did, for that happy for you, it is done. I have read all the posts on this so know it was not planned. Best wishes going forward. Continue to contribute to TF.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 01:25 PM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
What made me happy was selling the boat for more than I thought I would ever get for it (had already contacted some donation places)...never advertised it.... it went to a great couple who seems to be enjoying it.

That was the plan all along.... and it happened way sooner than I thought but when it should have happened.

Great day when selling it? That saying was always BS in my mind after a few boats and a lifetime of being around them..... more of a continuum for me..... now back in the market for a skiff boat for great Florida fishing when I never thought I would own a boat like that again but the fishing bug is back.

People ask me if I miss the trawler..... no...why would I sell it if I had those feelings? Especially at the prices these old TT trawlers go for. I wasn't using it to it's potential...better someone else does even if you nearly have to give them away. They really aren't worth a lot, so just let it happen....

I can't get excited about the selling prices or attitudes of the buyers.... probably why mine was a good experience.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote