Rock fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
I was talking to a fish biologist last night about the subject of what to do with a rock fish that you bring up from the deep.

The team had fished for 3 years in the same area in Port Gravina near Cordova Alaska
The rock fish are non palagic (meaning bottom dwelling species living on or near the ocean floor) Usually in rocky or bolder strewn areas. Long lived from 15 to 75 years to be full grown.

You know the ones that have the big protrusion from their mouth when they reach the surface.*

*That thing in there mouth in the stomach if you puncture that, it kills the fish.

The thing to do is to take a large lead head jig file the barb off and use the weight to drag the fish back down to the bottom. Just bounce it around a bit and the fish will get off.

After tagging the fish and releasing them in this manner *they were able to re-catch a number of the tagged fish and projected a survival rate of 85%.

100% of the ones that had there stomach punctured died.

Only *35% of those just released on the surface survived.

So the next time you catch a rock fish you don't have to feel bad about killing it.**It can be released alive.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 17th of March 2011 12:54:26 PM

Yeah.

I was really glad to hear about this. I hate to waste anything or kill an animal needlesley.

SD

skipperdude,

Do you hook the fish thru the lip with the barbless hook? Hook from outside of the mouth towards the inside?

Is there a link to any website with this info?

I want to help spread the word about saving rockfish.

Looks like one of my friends on a hangover.

Attachments

• rock fish.jpg
    rock fish.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 90
It seems the easiest and fastest way to execute this method would be to pinch the barb closed with a pair of Vice Grip pliers, and away you go.

The guy just said hook them through the lip.

I also need to say that the results were not 100%.

He also said that the results were not conclusive to a 100% study.

*After only 3 years but that the results were extremely promising.

You know how the government is.**Do about 500 study's then release the findings.

This is not official, but this is the main guy doing the survey and the procedure they used.

So no web site.

Just the views and opinions of a fish biologist on a one to one with a group of boaters
Thanks for posting the picture of the yellow eye exactly what I was talking about

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 17th of March 2011 02:28:50 PM

Carey wrote:

It seems the easiest and fastest way to execute this method would be to pinch the barb closed with a pair of Vice Grip pliers, and away you go.

*The biologist indicated that they tried numerous methods.*The led head jig (The large ones. I think they weigh about a pound) worked the best because of the gap between the hook shank and the tip was the greatest.

SD

Another note was that after fishing the same area the same way they stopped catching them and had to change the method.**They resorted to a long line skate to continue catching the tagged fish.

It seems the fish learn.

SD*

Dude,
Sorry*** ...I'd rather eat them. I'd rather eat them than Salmon*** ...or crab and just about anything else. Yum Yum.

Excellent information, SD.* I have always just cast them loose, but it sounds like with a little effort their survival can be significantly enhanced.

nomadwilly wrote:

Dude,
Sorry*** ...I'd rather eat them. I'd rather eat them than Salmon*** ...or crab and just about anything else. Yum Yum.
I'm with you Eric.* When I have been to the PNW, I was thinking that I was served Alaskan Rock fish, and it was delicious.* Just wondered why they were throwing them back.* Were they out of season or under size?* It looks as if it would work on other deep water species.

Yea Moon,
The only thing that comes close as a wonderful fish to eat is fresh Ling Cod.
Of course I'm a huge lover of Salmon too.
biggrin.gif

Greenling. Just as good as Lingcod. Two of my favorites.

I for one think the best solution is to roll them in batter, drop them in boiling oil and praise their sacrifice while consuming them with a plate of french fries...
HOLLYWOOD

If you are fishing for rock fish that is fine but there are catch limits

This is something to do when you catch over the limit.

Or you catch a quill back that you just don't want to eat.

SD

Thanks for the info.

We've always wondered if we could submerge one*wether*it would live. With a limit of two its easy to go over your limit, and since you can't throw them back we often have to move to different structure.

This is my first post here, but skipperdude your boat looks very familiar...

Do you run a charter out of Whittier, Alaska ?

If so, we're dock mates

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom