Old 04-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Fairview, TX
Vessel Name: Gray Eagle
Vessel Model: 1985 35" CHB
Robship Hook & Moor Boat Hook no float

Recently purchased the Robship Hook and Moor Boat Hook and I like the product. It is really cool and works great but NO FLOAT. In the advertising it states that it Floats, but mine does not. Fortunately I tired a line to it to test it and she just kept going down, down, down. Maybe mine sprung a leak? Anyone else experience this or does yours float?
jnvoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:13 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
I didn't think they floated. Nowhere on the site I bought mine from or on the manufactures site does it mention floating. Where did you buy it from that claims it floats?
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Purchased mine from Defender. "Floats" is listed as a feature.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:59 PM   #4
Guru

Just checked Defenders website and their writeup says it floats. You may what to double check with them too make sure its not an error as other sites do not say that.

I will try ours with a rope attached for safety sake, don't want to lose it as it is great and makes picking up a mooring buoy super easy for us old timers.........
Old 04-12-2014, 12:16 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I bet the rope was weighing it down. Maybe you should try throwing it in the water again without the rope just to make sure.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:23 PM   #6
Guru

jnvoss

Your original post really got me wondering as some website say that it floats and others say nothing. This afternoon I went to the boat and tried our fully extended, guess what IT FLOATS. On Saturday I sent an email to Robship in Sweden, this is the response......

Hi Mike,

All models float at any time if it coming from the present production.

If it says “Hook&Moor” on the rubber handle it is current production. If it says “Robship” it is previous version.
Current production have reduced weight and also dry silicone lubrication inside the alutube.

From previous versions the 3m model floats only in extended position. Not if it is collapsed. Other models float at any time.

The floating capacity is coming from the smallest tube, which is plugged but also from the air pocket in the biggest tube. So if the hook is extended the air pocket is big and the hook will float with head down and rear handle well above waterline.

If there is a leak in the smallest tube and/or the rear handle the hook will sink.

I recommend that if you drown the hook in seawater please flush with freshwater to reduce risk for corrosion. Let dry in extended position.

Good Luck with your hook!

Eric Carlson
Inventor
Old 04-15-2014, 07:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
jnvoss

Your original post really got me wondering as some website say that it floats and others say nothing. This afternoon I went to the boat and tried our fully extended, guess what IT FLOATS. On Saturday I sent an email to Robship in Sweden, this is the response......

Hi Mike,

All models float at any time if it coming from the present production.

If it says “Hook&Moor” on the rubber handle it is current production. If it says “Robship” it is previous version.
Current production have reduced weight and also dry silicone lubrication inside the alutube.

From previous versions the 3m model floats only in extended position. Not if it is collapsed. Other models float at any time.

The floating capacity is coming from the smallest tube, which is plugged but also from the air pocket in the biggest tube. So if the hook is extended the air pocket is big and the hook will float with head down and rear handle well above waterline.

If there is a leak in the smallest tube and/or the rear handle the hook will sink.

I recommend that if you drown the hook in seawater please flush with freshwater to reduce risk for corrosion. Let dry in extended position.

Good Luck with your hook!

Eric Carlson
Inventor
Well that is interesting. I do appreciate your efforts and time. I am now eager to go to the lake to see if I have the "Hook&Moor" or the "Robship" Then I will try the different extensions....but still keeping a rope on it! Thanks again.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Reminds me of the floating binoculars I bought. They only float with the strap on. So technically the binoculars don't float, the strap floats.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #9
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
I have seen this thing only in the discussions here so this idea may be out to lunch.

What about a corkline ,net top line float, float tied on a short loop to the pole. Try it first to be see there is enough floatation. The float hopefully stops it sinking and the loop allows hooking with your pike pole.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:49 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
An old trick with telescoping long-handled fishing nets is to fill the smaller tube with expanding foam. This allows the net to float handle up, extended or not. I wonder if it would be as effective with the previous models of the hook.

BTW, here's a link to a previous Trawler Forum thread on this product.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...toy-12481.html

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote