Old 04-08-2015, 01:20 PM   #21
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Made it up the west coast, across the lake and into Stuart. Took 2 1/2 days and ran mostly at slow speed. If weather stays nice, off to the Bahamas.

Chine slap sucks. Just a little wind chop and it kept me up most of the night.

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:22 PM   #22
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Thanks for the update Ski. I sure like your approach to cruising!!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Old 04-11-2015, 11:02 AM   #23
Guru

Made a night crossing from Palm Beach to West End thurs night/fri am. Seas were not big, but short and sharp and confused. Pretty nasty, especially at night when you can't see the seas to anticipate. But no problems. Ran about 7-8kts, took about 9hrs.

Picked up a bud that was supposed to fly over to the Bahamas, but his flight was canceled. So he drove from NC to PB and hopped on. He stopped at Publix and bought an a$$load of food and supplies.

Caught up with the rest of the NC crowd at this rental house just east of Freeport on GBI. So back to civilized life for a while. INTERNET!!!

Next to Berry Isles, then Abacos. Looks like next front is next weekend so probably try to get stateside by then. Two boats now, Cabo 35 and my 38.

Both boats have been very reliable.

Dove on mine at Palm Beach. Amazing that the prop was absolutely spotless since being cleaned a month ago. Nothing grows on a spinning prop, so it seems.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:24 PM   #24
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Ski we saw you guys yesterday morning as we were getting ready to get under way. Didn't see y'all just the boats. It was definetly rough, going against the gulfstream and only making 5knots also sucked.
I snapped these before I left.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1428769470.838323.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	39098
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1428769495.827884.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	39099
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:42 PM   #25
Guru

Ha!! That's me in the yellow hull. Probably still asleep as we got in at 3am. I went and puttered around in the shallows that afternoon before heading to the dude's rental house.

Still awestruck by the water visibility. That never seems to get old.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:12 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Made a night crossing from Palm Beach to West End thurs night/fri am. Seas were not big, but short and sharp and confused. Pretty nasty, especially at night when you can't see the seas to anticipate. But no problems. Ran about 7-8kts, took about 9hrs.
Wifey B: I always laugh at "confused seas." They probably really know what they're up to but just confuse the heck out of us humans. Still if one can't do it all during day, always better to be at sea during the night and entering the area during day. Reminds me that we have an overnight trip Monday-Tuesday. Had one last Tuesday-Wednesday.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:16 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Ha!! That's me in the yellow hull. Probably still asleep as we got in at 3am. I went and puttered around in the shallows that afternoon before heading to the dude's rental house.

Still awestruck by the water visibility. That never seems to get old.
Living in South Florida we get to the Bahamas often but love them still and hope we never start taking them for granted. We've spent a few days around some islands off Panama and in some ways as we thought playing around among them reminded us of the Bahamas, that to us was a supreme compliment. In both too, we love to just get out in the tender and mess around, see what there is to see, explore islands.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:24 PM   #28
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
A night passage, when seas are manageable (calm), when the way is relatively clear (other traffic, lobster/crab floats) and when one has sufficient crew to stand watches is a Zen experience IMO. The glow of the instruments, the gentle hum (due to reduced speed) of the power plant(s), some mellow tunes on the airwaves, a warm, comfortable breeze through the pilothouse...Ahhhh.....

Throw out one or all of the "whens" above, then, not so much...
Old 04-11-2015, 04:13 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
A night passage, when seas are manageable (calm), when the way is relatively clear (other traffic, lobster/crab floats) and when one has sufficient crew to stand watches is a Zen experience IMO. The glow of the instruments, the gentle hum (due to reduced speed) of the power plant(s), some mellow tunes on the airwaves, a warm, comfortable breeze through the pilothouse...Ahhhh.....

Throw out one or all of the "whens" above, then, not so much...
Wifey B: Even better when the conditions allow you to do it from the flybridge. And a full moon.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:13 PM   #30
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

Originally Posted by Ski in NC
Let me also put in a plug for Coastal Explorer. That thing was running the whole trip in an old HP laptop. No bugs, no crashes, no wierdness at all. Just reliably plotted course and speed on the charts. And the charts switch over seemlessly as you move and scale in/out. Very nice piece of software.

Sounds good, What are you doing for GPS input? Does the HP have it's own antenna built in or are using a remote antenna of some sort, if so which PLS.
Thanks! Bon voyage!
Old 04-11-2015, 05:27 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Originally Posted by Ski in NC
Let me also put in a plug for Coastal Explorer. That thing was running the whole trip in an old HP laptop. No bugs, no crashes, no wierdness at all. Just reliably plotted course and speed on the charts. And the charts switch over seemlessly as you move and scale in/out. Very nice piece of software.

Sounds good, What are you doing for GPS input? Does the HP have it's own antenna built in or are using a remote antenna of some sort, if so which PLS.
Thanks! Bon voyage!
GPS antenna pluggged into USB port. Inexpensive and works well even with antenna inside pilothouse. Simple simple and works.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #32
Guru

Arrived yesterday in Great Harbour Cay, Berry Islands. Spent the morning fixing a leak in my old soooo tired dink. For you fellow travelers, get some fresh glue for your patch kit. That stuff goes stale in the tube, especially if opened.

Dink seems ok now, stale glue aside. Took a run around the island. 40yr old Evinrude still plugs along.

This is a neat place to stop. Crew gathering at sunset with pot luck going on. Dockmaster joined in, first rate dude.

Rum is cheap. Beer expensive. Folks friendly.

Next stop. Abacos. Weather dependent, but looks fair.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:23 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Arrived yesterday in Great Harbour Cay, Berry Islands. Spent the morning fixing a leak in my old soooo tired dink. For you fellow travelers, get some fresh glue for your patch kit. That stuff goes stale in the tube, especially if opened.

Dink seems ok now, stale glue aside. Took a run around the island. 40yr old Evinrude still plugs along.

This is a neat place to stop. Crew gathering at sunset with pot luck going on. Dockmaster joined in, first rate dude.

Rum is cheap. Beer expensive. Folks friendly.

Next stop. Abacos. Weather dependent, but looks fair.

Are you going to stop at Schooner bay? Supposedly it's a nice marina/village on the rise.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 04-13-2015, 09:29 PM   #34
Guru

Where's that? Is that the new place N of Hole In The Wall?
Old 04-13-2015, 09:32 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Where's that? Is that the new place N of Hole In The Wall?

Yup.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 04-13-2015, 09:36 PM   #36
Guru

Thanks, I'll look it up. Hoping to make Elbow in one go, but nice to have closer options.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:52 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Thanks, I'll look it up. Hoping to make Elbow in one go, but nice to have closer options.

Yep, have fun!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 04-16-2015, 03:38 AM   #38
Guru

Made it to Hope Town with no issues. Could only run abt 15kts east in Providence Channel, seas were slight, but short. Made the turn at Hole in the Wall, bumped it up to 18kts. Came in inlet N of Lynyard Cay, no sweat there. 98 mile day. Piddled around Hope Town for the day, now in Treasure. Going to check the weather and based on that decide on the crossing back to the states. I think there is some snot to the north I need to be aware of.

Boat is doing well. No troubles.

dink patch with stale glue... holding up ok!!!!
Old 04-16-2015, 05:09 AM   #39
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Hey Ski ,
If you're in Treasure we have some friends there ,Ed and Cindy Newell . They own and operate Abaco Estate Services .They live across from the marina to the right. They have a blue sport fisher about 32 ft or so and its on a lift behind their house . You might can see it from the marina . We visited them a couple years ago and had a blast . Her mom owns a development that never got up an going because of hurricane . It's now just some canals with two or three homes . She rents what docks are there to the Moorings for a hurricane hole . We made it around most of the area there . I liked
Man O War the best . I got to go back in the shop while Joe Albury was framing up one of his Abaco Dinghies . Sounds like a great trip, have fun .
Old 04-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #40
Guru

Made it back to NC. Whew. What a trip. No problems at all with the boat. Total R/T 2208nm. Too wiped out and too afraid to total the fuel burn. Credit card is smouldering.

Road trip done.