Old 12-09-2007, 06:04 AM   #21

Road Rage on the water-- from a go fast

>Phil/Fill, you will never get a wake free pass at 7kts
Exactally!

For background, I come from a sportfish heritage. That being said, to me it is unreasonable for a "Poke Boat" to expect me to slow down from my preferred cruising speed for 10-15 minutes just to avoid waking them for 10-15 seconds. To me, that is a rediculous request.

Instead, I usually try to hail the boat when overtaking, and request they slow down for a comfortable pass we all can live with. There's nothing that gets my gall as compared to my being courtous and slowing to pass, only to have the trawler continue at 7-8 knots. In order to pass that person, I would need to be doing 10-11 knots, and throwing the worst wake possible. If they expect me to be courteous and change from my preffered cruise, they need to be half of the solution. I'm doing it for them, anyway.

I expect a trawler to be able to take a reasonable wake(not a 35 degree roll, but maybe a 15 deg roll), and have their equipment stowed properly. I also operate a 23' center console, and even in that little boat I don't expect go fast boats to slow down all the time. I just don't complain and point into their wake.

Wade - hoping to own a trawler soon
Wadestep is offline   Reply With Quote