Old 10-17-2019, 03:10 PM   #1
Guru

City: Las Vegas/West Coast
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
RO versus Distilled H2O

I kinda tired of carrying around several gallons of distilled water for my Rolls battery bank. Man are they thirsty bugers. I measured the TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) of both and the RO is less than the distilled.

Wondering if anyone else uses RO water from the water maker to top off the batteries? Any draw backs?

Cheers

Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Anything but distilled is most likely to have minerals ect ect.
I don’t use anything but distilled in the batts and cooling system.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:11 PM   #3
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
I kinda tired of carrying around several gallons of distilled water for my Rolls battery bank. Man are they thirsty bugers. I measured the TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) of both and the RO is less than the distilled.

Wondering if anyone else uses RO water from the water maker to top off the batteries? Any draw backs?

Cheers

Now that you are down south, if you are running AC you would have a source of condensate that you could use for your batteries. You just need to capture the condensate from the AC units.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:24 PM   #4
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
Quote:

Cheers
Why are they so thirsty? When I cruised full time I would add water only 2-3 times each year to my house bank made up of Costco GC batteries. I used about 1/2 quart each time I filled 6 GCs.

I would take a look at your battery charger. Maybe it is set too high on float so it boils out too much water.

RO water is about as good as distilled as your measurements indicate.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:31 PM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. CC. In a previous life, the distilled water taps in the various research labs were, in fact, reverse osmosis water so fill you boots (batteries). I suppose it depends on the membranes used for your water maker as compared to lab set ups but if TDS are less, I'd say you're good to go.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:02 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Why are they so thirsty? When I cruised full time I would add water only 2-3 times each year to my house bank made up of Costco GC batteries. I used about 1/2 quart each time I filled 6 GCs.

I would take a look at your battery charger. Maybe it is set too high on float so it boils out too much water.

RO water is about as good as distilled as your measurements indicate.

David
The Rolls are huge batteries, 820 amps each. Which gives me roughly 400 Amps of use, but I try to limit draw to 275-300 max. These are the only batteries that are not sealed and are in the engine room, so they are susceptible to the engine room heat. They just took almost a gallon for both batteries, which is the norm over the last few years and was almost 110 days ago since last top off.

But thanks for the idea, ill put that task on the list with the other 40 items, LOL!
Old 10-17-2019, 05:08 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Now that you are down south, if you are running AC you would have a source of condensate that you could use for your batteries. You just need to capture the condensate from the AC units.
We dont have AC on Pairadice, but its on the list. And Iím not sure the Genny would run everything on the boat, its only a 8KW, so that might have to be upgraded also to handle 3 AC units.

Just another bunch of boat bucks, thatís all.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:08 PM   #8
Guru

While RO water from a quality installation may approach TDS of distilled it is never as good, because distilled should contain zero ppm of anything except H2O. This is especially so when the RO water is produced from a boat system desalinating seawater.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:31 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
We dont have AC on Pairadice, but its on the list. And Iím not sure the Genny would run everything on the boat, its only a 8KW, so that might have to be upgraded also to handle 3 AC units.

Thats right, it is only money....

Dave
SPOT page
Old 10-17-2019, 05:32 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:

Cheers
I use RO water for my house bank.

Works just fine. My house bank is 8 years old, and three of those years it only has gotten RO water. PPM of this typically runs around 120
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:44 PM   #11

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:

Depends on what size your A/C units are and what your expectations are for simultaneous equipment use on generator power. I can run all 3 of mine (2x 10k BTU + 1x 16k BTU) on my 6.5kw gen and sit steadily just under 75% load, which leaves enough headroom for the battery charger, water heater to cycle, etc. If I need to use the electric stove or anything else major, I have to do some load management, but it's rare that I have a reason to run all 3 A/Cs and use other high power devices at the same time on generator power.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:05 PM   #12

City: La Paz, BCS
Vessel Name: Ansedonia
Vessel Model: Californian/Carver 52CPMY
According to the Trojan website, if your RO water has LESS than 100ppm dissolved solids it is fine to use in FLA batteries.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...pSfDMKMQb89lQ3

I also use a fair amount of distilled water so I am going to check my watermaker product ppm. Also, I might put a jug under my AC drain line and check that for dissolved solids as well.

Cheers, Bill
Old 10-17-2019, 06:22 PM   #13
Guru

I would go back to one of the earlier questions asked about why the batteries need so much water.
I had 2 Rolls 8Ds as part of my housebank (plus 2 FullRiver 8D AGMs).
The Rolls batts did not need a lot of water. They were in the ER of a Selene 47, just like yours. I would check your charging system for overcharging, and consider fitting a smart(er) regulator. Worst case, try some Water Miser battery caps.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:41 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
I would go back to one of the earlier questions asked about why the batteries need so much water.
I had 2 Rolls 8Ds as part of my housebank (plus 2 FullRiver 8D AGMs).
The Rolls batts did not need a lot of water. They were in the ER of a Selene 47, just like yours. I would check your charging system for overcharging, and consider fitting a smart(er) regulator. Worst case, try some Water Miser battery caps.
I am pretty sure he is a liveaboard/stayaboard and probably anchor’s out a lot.

Also he went almost 4 months between topoffs.

Seems like a reasonable water usage.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:06 PM   #15
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
RO from fresh water is usually zero ppm on my system. RO water from sea water is about 200 ppm. I use RO water for batteries. I use 8d batteries and before I changed to a Sterling charger, used several gallons a month. On the alternators water use was light.
My 8Dds usually last about 8 years and 8Dcs go about 10. Dyno batteries.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:28 PM   #16
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Crusty, I use distilled water my batteries because it's readily available but I'd have no problem using WM water in them. I usually see about 100 ppm of TDS when I measure it.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:22 PM   #17
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
Iíd think twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. CC. In a previous life, the distilled water taps in the various research labs were, in fact, reverse osmosis water so fill you boots (batteries). I suppose it depends on the membranes used for your water maker as compared to lab set ups but if TDS are less, I'd say you're good to go.
My to water comes on at about 150 ppm. Distilled typically much less. BTW, my tap water from the city system here in Hampton, vs is about 180ppm.

Stick to distilled.

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:13 PM   #18
Guru

Ok you guys. While sitting out back here in Ensenada with a cold one and soaking up the Sun, I started a clinical test.
1) The tap water on the dock is at 820 PPM, Dont wanna drink this stuff, or even wash with it.
2) The water maker at start up was 210 PPM, after about 3 hours of running it was at 110 PPM
3) The Distilled water sample was at 120 PPM
4) The Water from the de-humidifier was at 95 PPM
5) The Budweiser from USA was 260 PPM
6) The Tecate from Mexico was 365 PPM

So after this Clinical test, I determined I need a few more Cervesa’s to accurately compile data. But for the time being, maybe just use the De-Humidifier water when I run out of distilled water first and fill a jug with water from the Water maker at the end of the run as my back up.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:53 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Ok you guys. While sitting out back here in Ensenada with a cold one and soaking up the Sun, I started a clinical test.
1) The tap water on the dock is at 820 PPM, Dont wanna drink this stuff, or even wash with it.
2) The water maker at start up was 210 PPM, after about 3 hours of running it was at 110 PPM
3) The Distilled water sample was at 120 PPM
4) The Water from the de-humidifier was at 95 PPM
5) The Budweiser from USA was 260 PPM
6) The Tecate from Mexico was 365 PPM

So after this Clinical test, I determined I need a few more Cervesaís to accurately compile data. But for the time being, maybe just use the De-Humidifier water when I run out of distilled water first and fill a jug with water from the Water maker at the end of the run as my back up.

Great test Crusty. Nothing beats a beer and a few quiet moments to come up with some ideas.

I had wet cells on my sailboat. I would keep an empty water bottle under the drain hose from my dehumidifier and used that to top up my batteries for years. When you think about it, distilled water is water that is boiled and the steam is condensed again a cold surface and collected. Your dehumidifier (or an AC unit) has water that is condensed out of the air and collected. Same process.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 10-17-2019, 10:51 PM   #20
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Quote:

We donít have any problem spending your money. Not at all...

Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote