Old 04-20-2011, 05:39 AM   #21
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
RE: River Boat

Hey Larry - I'm the guy in the midwest with the Sundowner Tug that Eric referred to. I'd be more than happy to talk SD30's with you if you decide to go that direction. Great little boats and would definitely fit your bill.

Chip

Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #22

Quote:
FF wrote:
"Im looking for something in the 0.5gph at 5-7 knots. "

Its the Albin or nothing but a converted sail hull.

The power boat assembilers create live on , rather than live in boats for the increased volume.

BUT ,,the cost (in any size) is efficiency. 1/2 gph at 4-5K can be done , in a 20 ft size ,7K, not with current diesel tech.

Do you want a gas or diesel?

The gas will be 40% higher fuel bills but perhaps 1/3 the overall cost of ownership if maint is included.

*The Albin was the first boat I thought would fit but the only one I could find in my range was in Alaska and she had everything. Then I started looking at alternitives. The Williard 30 gets 1/2gph at 5-6 knots acording to 2 write ups I read and one person I talked to. I also found a 32 Beneteau and called the owner and he claims he got *0.4gph at 4-6 knots.*

I prefer *desiel. Someone mentioned running a desiel at low rpms would ruin the engine in time. They need to meet my old farm tractor 1954 model with small desiel always ran low rpms almost every day and all it ever needed was a filter change.

I had someone else tell me that I couldnt cruse the river with that or a sailboat or the Willard because the draft is too great. 3.6 for the willard 4.5 for the Beneyeau and 3.5-6 for most sailboats. Then I see in every marinia I have been to 6 so far in Guntersburg and here are *90% sailboats. Up to 45 ft and I have talked to many owners and they dont seem to agree.

I will still focus on an Albin Delux 25. As for sails, what I have read is trawlers roll a lot and the sails help in steadying the boat and with the wind to your back make better gph. With all the lakes espically Guntersburg so close, Weekend sails would be a nice get away.
<h1 style="color:#0b3862;font-size:18px;margin-top:5px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:5px;margin-left:0px;">*</h1>
<h1 style="color:#0b3862;font-size:18px;margin-top:5px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:5px;margin-left:0px;">*</h1>

larrylwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #23

Chip:

*Thank you but Im afraid were not ready to invest the money it would require to purchase a Sundowner, maybe if we got on the *water with something else first and the wife got into it then. When we lived in Miami she got seasick everytime we went into the ocean so she is still a little skiddish about this idea even though we will be sticking to rivers and lakes.
larrylwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:25 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
larrylwill wrote:
I had someone else tell me that I couldnt cruse the river with that or a sailboat or the Willard because the draft is too great. 3.6 for the willard 4.5 for the Beneyeau and 3.5-6 for most sailboats. Then I see in every marinia I have been to 6 so far in Guntersburg and here are *90% sailboats. Up to 45 ft and I have talked to many owners and they dont seem to agree.

I will still focus on an Albin Delux 25. As for sails, what I have read is trawlers roll a lot and the sails help in steadying the boat and with the wind to your back make better gph. With all the lakes espically Guntersburg so close, Weekend sails would be a nice get away.
I cruised the Tennessee River for 6 years on a 36' trawler with a 4' draft.* No problem.* Guntersville*Lake is one of*if not the shallowest on the system.* Of course, if you stay in the channel,you are fine.* Just be very careful venturing out of the channel.* It*also has*aquatic weeds in many of the shallow sections.* I wouldn't worry*too much about anything with up to a*4' draft.

Have you thought about something maybe with a small 4 cycle outboard engine.* Maybe something like a Roseboro or C-Dory.* I'm not sure about the price, but I have seen them in many coastal anchorages.* In a small boat the 4 cycle outboad makes sense to me.* Economical, easy to service, and fairly easy on fuel.*

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote