Rig a the boom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usafoto

Vessel Name
La Patrona
Vessel Make
1979 38' Californian
This is embarrassing but I need to ask. A few months ago I removed my boom from my 1979 Californian so I can re paint it and because the lines were scary old and I thought any moment that boom was going to fall on someone's head. Anyways, I removed the 1/2 inch line that pulls the boom up and down and the othe 5/8 lines that moves the boom from right to left. I took the blocks out and removed them to replace them, and now a few months later I don't remember how I had them tied down. Can someone send me photos on how and what kind of block I need of where I can look them up at. I called ronstan and they could not cross reference these 1979 blocks. Any advice will be greatfull.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG-9091.jpg
    IMG-9091.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG-9092.jpg
    IMG-9092.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 63
I'd guess that the RF161 snatch block attaches to the bottom of your boom. The RF340 attaches to an anchor point below (perhaps on cabin roof).
Your 5/8" mainsheet would go from the bottom of RF161 around the RF340 and back over the R1F61 and back to wherever you control the boom swing from.
The 1/2" halyard line runs from an eyelet on top of the end of the boom, up to another snatch block on top of your mast and back down to a winch and/or tie off point.

I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Yes, I remember the 161 snatch block goes to the end of the boom (top end) with a double block on top of mast, so the 1/2 inch line will start at the snatch go to the top of the mast back down to the 161 then back up top to the mast (double block) and down to the mast the the tie down cleat.

What I also remember is that the 340 (5/8 double block) is connected at the end of the boom (bottom from the RF161). I think I will replace the double block with two single blocks. So here is my dilemma, what goes to the 2 anchors on the deck? I do remember throwing away the blocks but don't remember which ones i need to get. Can you help?

I also should of keepted the lines to know the amount of feet I need to replace, any one knows how long the lines should be?

I guess I was having an exciting day the day of the removal but lights were out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom