Richard on Dauntless is headed north

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You are all right.
I'm going to have Dauntless pulled here.
I want her out of the water for winter.
She's been run hard and put away wet too often.

Yes. They get a crane, but they also modify, build, a trailer to pull her.

Huatulco is a great town. I regret stopping so soon, but dry storage is at a premium until one gets north of Mazatlan. That's a 1000 miles away.
And not only are there no safe harbors, the few stopping places there are will be affected by the sw swell.

All in all, too many risks for questionable returns.

Thanks for the advice. I'm taking it this time :thumb:

Richard:

If you haven't already met them look for Chris and Gerry aboard their 45' aluminum trawler "Misty Michael". They're originally from Canada and have been liveaboards in the Marina Chahue for the last several years. They have extensive knowledge about Huatulco so if you need anything they would be a great resource for you. Note: It's possible they're in Mazatlan now getting some work done on their boat.

If you need any recommendations for anything in Huatulco don't hesitate to contact me. I been going to Huatulco since the late 80's and have owned a house there for over 15 years so I know the area very well.

NOTE: Avoid a young guy by the name of Enrique. PM me if you want the details about him.

Last edited:
He's on the move!!! Looks like he got underway around 1 May and is now like a day or so from landing in Cabo San Lucas on the S tip of Baja.

Thanks for the update. I was going to check this AM when I saw your post. He's hoping to arrive in the SF Bay area around mid-June.

We've got a slip arranged for him in our marina in Vallejo where several of us TFers can keep an eye on his boat while he globe-trots without Dauntless.

https://share.delorme.com/dauntless

Just got this message from Richard:

Day 2 ends, Day 3 begins. Another very good day, light winds, clear skies, not so humid, temp 80°F, 26°C

We're underway to Cabo San Lucas. ETA Wednesday evening

Looks like he made it safe to a slip in Cabo.

My condolences that you are in Cabo. The only town we stayed in while cruising Mexico that we couldn't wait to get out of. Given you planned trip I guess it's a necessary evil. Have a safe Baja Bash. Watch the weather windows and you will have a great trip.

My condolences that you are in Cabo. The only town we stayed in while cruising Mexico that we couldn't wait to get out of. Given you planned trip I guess it's a necessary evil. Have a safe Baja Bash. Watch the weather windows and you will have a great trip.

Wifey B: Loved Cabo. But love everywhere. Only Cabo has Lovers Beach and Divorce Beach. One calm, one rough. :D

Went Sailing and Fishing. One of the girls caught a large Marlin. Not me. I don't work very hard at fishing. :ermm:

Yup. He made it to San Jose del Cabo for a couple of days and is now in Cabo San Lucas. I bet he doesn’t stay there long. Richard and the marina...not. :banghead:

Let the bash begin though.

https://www.sailmagazine.com/cruising/the-baja-bash

I can't believe how bad it is. It's not Mexico at all. I had nothing but great experiences, interactions in Mexico, until here.
Also only place in Mexico that expects tips.

I'm leaving Sunday morning. Dauntless is all ready to go. But winds turn bad by Wednesday and thru the end of the week.
We'll see how i resolve that.
Internet and Wi-Fi also is terrible here, as if purposely part time.

I miss Huatulco. May fly back next year, it's that nice and affordable.

Last edited:
Richard:

If you haven't already met them look for Chris and Gerry aboard their 45' aluminum trawler "Misty Michael". They're originally from Canada and have been liveaboards in the Marina Chahue for the last several years. They have extensive knowledge about Huatulco so if you need anything they would be a great resource for you. Note: It's possible they're in Mazatlan now getting some work done on their boat.

If you need any recommendations for anything in Huatulco don't hesitate to contact me. I been going to Huatulco since the late 80's and have owned a house there for over 15 years so I know the area very well.

NOTE: Avoid a young guy by the name of Enrique. PM me if you want the details about him.

I didn't see them.

If anyone has any info to send me, just text to my 212 number, it's the only reliable way to get anything.

I can't believe how bad it is. It's not Mexico at all. I had nothing but great experiences, interactions in Mexico, until here.
Also only place in Mexico that expects tips.

I'm leaving Sunday morning. Dauntless is all ready to go. But winds turn bad by Wednesday and thru the end of the week.
We'll see how i resolve that.
Internet and Wi-Fi also is terrible here, as if purposely part time.

I miss Huatulco. May fly back next year, it's that nice and affordable.

Sorry to hear it was so bad I think it has been over 30 years since I have been, glad to hear the others places were nice

He’s on the move having left Cabo.

Edit: Something’s going on . He’s headed back east. I wonder if the weather is a little narly by Cabo Falso?

Last edited:
He’s on the move having left Cabo.

Edit: Something’s going on . He’s headed back east. I wonder if the weather is a little narly by Cabo Falso?

I would trust him with my life when it came to weather

The kk42 sucks in head seas. Bow too full and ass end doesn’t have enough buoyancy to keep from squatting. Lots pf hobby horsing. My experience compared to my 1982 Mainship with much finer bow and standard square stern SD hull. I am sure he will udate us with the unedited truth as always! Hopefully not a mechanical problem

Sorry to hear it was so bad I think it has been over 30 years since I have been, glad to hear the others places were nice

We had a great time there in January, 2015. Now wonder if the change is since then or has to do with the marina chosen. We were at IGY Cabo San Lucas. Where were you, Richard? And others who have been disappointed?

We’ve been to Cabo maybe 6 times. Twice to check into the country and the other times for the fishing which can be phenomenal. We stayed in the marina once then anchored out and paid to use the marina’s dinghy dock. We’ve always taken it for what it is. Cabo is Cabo and there’s no other place like it.

We’ve been to Cabo maybe 6 times. Twice to check into the country and the other times for the fishing which can be phenomenal. We stayed in the marina once then anchored out and paid to use the marina’s dinghy dock. We’ve always taken it for what it is. Cabo is Cabo and there’s no other place like it.

Wifey B: Well, since Nikki, a 19 year old novice fisherperson at the time, caught a 300+ lb Marlin there, it's definitely her favorite place. She was permanently hooked on fishing. We've only been there once and stayed 4 days before moving on to La Paz. :)

Wifey B: Well, since Nikki, a 19 year old novice fisherperson at the time, caught a 300+ lb Marlin there, it's definitely her favorite place. She was permanently hooked on fishing. We've only been there once and stayed 4 days before moving on to La Paz. :)

That’s very cool. :thumb:

Message from Richard this AM:

Plan A looks like a no-go. Winds around the cape NW 20-25.

I tried 3x at different distance from shore. Winds too strong, seas very short and steep. Returning to Cabo.

I don't want to sit at anchor for 7 days (wx fcst to get progressively worse thru Friday) but don't want to spend $93/day at marina. So I'll sort out the new plan today, talk to the marina about significant discount tomorrow morning.

That’s very cool. :thumb:

Wifey B: A fisherperson was born. She now takes advantage of any opportunity. She knows you don't catch fish that size normally but she loves any kind of fishing. I think she would have been hooked without that catch. It just all lit her up in a special way. I'll fish a couple of hours, maybe a little longer if I'm really catching fish, but Nikki will stick with it all day, any day. :)

I'm back where i started from after my little 3 hour jaunt this morning.

Now, I'm pondering the meaning of life.* Well, maybe not mankind's existence or even this week's events, but I do recognize that I've spent too much time wondering what the hell was I thinking.

Today,* I was certainly intrepid. Each time I* turned back, after a little respite, I'd give it another go.*
First it was the "normal" route.

Second,* close inshore,* at the 50 foot depth mark.* This seemed to show some promise initially,* with slightly lighter winds,* but upon reaching Cabo Falso again, I was faced with the same very steep,* almost standing, 10 ft waves, with a 3 or 4 second period.
Ih turned around again.

Now I know that by reducing power,* 1300 to 1400 rpms, with those waves still gives me about 4 knots,* and on the open ocean,* that's what I'd do. The ride was bouncy, but not pounding.
Pounding is a No Go,* as happened last week,* with the abrupt stop in Ixtapa.

So on by way back to Cabo, i saw a westbound ocean trawler going about 6 knots, a couple of miles south of my course.

3rd and last, I decided to give it one more try,* this time,* further from shore.

That only lasted minutes,* as I realized it was all the same.

The determining factor was what's next,* after the Cape? I would have toughed it out, but I knew once I turned NW, the winds would still be on the bow at 12 to 18. That will produce a 4 to 6 foot sea, but again short period and I'd have 120 nm of that.* That was the show stopper.

And then the days after that? Didn't look any better, in fact worse.

Impossible.

So,* I'm resigned to wait in Cabo. I'll just have to save money some other way.

Thanks for listening.

Stuck in Cabo

Richard,

Well there are worse places to be stuck. Although the marinas are expensive at $ 93.oo a day slip rent. :peace: They do have some great food their. This is a town that runs on American tourists ! So it is just an extension of the south L.A City limits, to the south.

You not the first person on a small boat to have the exact same thing happen to them as happened to you. :eek: short interval & steep is no fun.
They don't call it the Baja Bash just because it sounds good.

Weather should change in a week or so. Try to relax & enjoy. :popcorn:

Do some boat chores to help pass the time. -- I was thinking of the Oil Leak at the rear tail shaft of the transmission that is still leaking after you replaced the seal. :nonono: I bet the seal riding surface may have an issue. :confused:

I may have a solution.

BTW - I have that Borg Warner Velvet Drive Marine Gear Transmission out of my Kadey-Krogen 42 that was behind the Ford Lehman 120 - it has a 2.91 : 1 ratio. --- Would that work in your boat ? :D

Mine does NOT leak any oil & seems to work perfectly.

Something to think about while your waiting out the weather.

Keep it safe & try to enjoy your self their in Cabo. :hide:

Alfa Mike :thumb:

Richard, you should seriously start a YouTube channel along with a Patreon account for donations. So many sailors are doing that, but nobody doing it on a trawler that I’ve found. Then you wouldn’t have to worry about that $93 slip fee!

I would pay to watch those videos. You could give weather lessons.

Hang in there Richard!! Saw your track and went oh sh!t!! Glad it is just WX and not boat trouble.

Richard,

BTW - I have that Borg Warner Velvet Drive Marine Gear Transmission out of my Kadey-Krogen 42 that was behind the Ford Lehman 120 - it has a 2.91 : 1 ratio. --- Would that work in your boat ? :D

Mine does NOT leak any oil & seems to work perfectly.

Something to think about while your waiting out the weather.

Keep it safe & try to enjoy your self their in Cabo. :hide:

Alfa Mike :thumb:

That sounds like a hell of an idea, Richard. If you don't need it before you get to Ventura, it'll be there waiting for you to load and keep as a spare for your adventure. It's likely to come in handy somewhere. Not many guys carry a whole spare tranny, right? I bet you've got the room for it in the ER or a laz. Is it the same gears as a 135?

Hang in there Richard!! Saw your track and went oh sh!t!! Glad it is just WX and not boat trouble.

Me too. I just didn't want to give to without a fight.

Today I spoke with some locals bringing a boat to San Diego. They admired my ??? in trying to leave, but made clear, it was impossible under current conditions.
Though they expect a significant change in the weather pattern next week.
So everything still points to Monday.

That sounds like a hell of an idea, Richard. If you don't need it before you get to Ventura, it'll be there waiting for you to load and keep as a spare for your adventure. It's likely to come in handy somewhere. Not many guys carry a whole spare tranny, right? I bet you've got the room for it in the ER or a laz. Is it the same gears as a 135?

Confession Time:
I think I found the cause of the leak, ME.
I've just realized that I overfilled the tranny by half to one qt upon leaving Huatulco.

Don't Ask, Don't Tell.

Back
Top Bottom