Reverse immage camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
I just picked up a camera to go with my new Garmin 4208.

I had never thought of the reverse immage thing.

Like a lightbulb going on in my head.

Great idea.

Does anyone else have one?
If so what do you think?

SD

skipperdude wrote:
I just picked up a camera to go with my new Garmin 4208.

I had never thought of the reverse immage thing.

Like a lightbulb going on in my head.

Great idea.

Does anyone else have one?
If so what do you think?

SD
Dude
Reverse image? Why? Do you mean as in a photo negative?

Most RV's with rear-view cameras are reversed. I think it saves some brainwaves figuring ot traffic at 60 MPH!

Dave

Yeah.* Cameras reverse the immage or R is L, *L is R

sort of like looking into a mirror into a mirror.

The reverse immaging camera sorts this out allowing you to see the correct orientation.

SD

ok so what is your bright idea?

put it in the head so as to safely back in?

skipperdude wrote:

Yeah.* Cameras reverse the immage or R is L, *L is R

sort of like looking into a mirror into a mirror.

The reverse immaging camera sorts this out allowing you to see the correct orientation.

SD
When you look at the screen it's a if you are looking out the back of the boat.

I know a guy with one (this exact camera)*and it is really easy.

I just ordered one today from a place in IL.* They were a few bucks more expensive but they were extremely helpful on the phone and that is worth something.

CVC-627MR is the camera.* This place only carries the CVC-627 in stock*which is the normal but they got me the reverse image one for me.* The price was $165.* But it is plug and play right into the Garmin or Raymarine.

http://www.tselectronic.com/shop/product/CVC627-Waterproof-Color-Bullet-Day-Night-Camera-with-IR-LEDs/321

Ask for George and he will know exactly what you are talking about.

-- Edited by JD on Thursday 17th of February 2011 01:02:27 PM

Per wrote:put it in the head so as to safely back in?
Talk about a shuttle docking ... you really could call yourself an asstronaut.

-- Edited by RickB on Thursday 17th of February 2011 01:03:40 PM

Per wrote:

ok so what is your bright idea?

put it in the head so as to safely back in?
I want to back the boat up.

You may use it for whatever purpose you deem fit.

SD

RickB wrote:

Per wrote:put it in the head so as to safely back in?
Talk about a shuttle docking ... you really could call yourself an asstronaut.

Now that is funny.

SD

i have my wife stand on the stern, if we (read I) hit anything going reverse atleast i can blame her for it.
if i had a monitor i could only blame myself, and how much fun is that?

Reverse image really only would help if you are mounting the camera with the intention of using it to back the boat up... as far as for a engine rm. cam it is there so you can see ... water spray,* smoke,* fire,* your laundry that you hang in the engine room to dry*
( trust me the hanging towels WILL find their way to the moving engine belts ) and small children left there for a " time out".

Mine came in very handy on a number of occasions...

You may choose from the above list..

HOLLYWOOD

I have been thinking about these also as I have a Garmin Multi function display that one of these could plug into.* Since I have not only a hardtop on the sundeck, but also a dinghy on the sundeck roof, I can't see the aft corners of the boat from the helm and my slip is very tight to back into.* I have 18' between the pilings and my boat has a 15'6" beam.* The thing is with 120 degree cameras I think I might need two, and that seems like a pain in the seat.
My current system is that the Admiral postiions herself on the sterndeck with an Eartec two-way radio and let's me know if I am off course to Pt or Stb and how much.**However, since*she can't seem to keep port and starboard on the correct side of the boat, backing into my slip brings everybody out to watch.* My dockmates have*asked me to call in about 10 minutes before I arrive to give them time to get the popcorn and sodas ready.* I got*the Admiral*one those shirts with a red sleeve on the left and a green on the right, but when she turns around it seems to be a problem as the shirt turns with her.* Of course I could just dock bow in, but where's the fun in that?

Avista wrote:

I have been thinking about these also as I have a Garmin Multi function display that one of these could plug into.* Since I have not only a hardtop on the sundeck, but also a dinghy on the sundeck roof, I can't see the aft corners of the boat from the helm and my slip is very tight to back into.* I have 18' between the pilings and my boat has a 15'6" beam.* The thing is with 120 degree cameras I think I might need two, and that seems like a pain in the seat.
My current system is that the Admiral postiions herself on the sterndeck with an Eartec two-way radio and let's me know if I am off course to Pt or Stb and how much.**However, since*she can't seem to keep port and starboard on the correct side of the boat, backing into my slip brings everybody out to watch.* My dockmates have*asked me to call in about 10 minutes before I arrive to give them time to get the popcorn and sodas ready.* I got*the Admiral*one those shirts with a red sleeve on the left and a green on the right, but when she turns around it seems to be a problem as the shirt turns with her.* Of course I could just dock bow in, but where's the fun in that?
One of our dock neighbors let us in to their solution to this problem.* Forget left and right or port and starbaord, who are your dock neighbors?* We have a*HUGE sailboat on the T at the end of our dock and a party boat*at the base of the ramp so our neighbors use "Little Bear" (big sailboat) and "Gentleman Jack" as their directions instead of port and starboard.* "two feet towards Little Bear" "steer more towards Gentleman Jack"...* YMMV

I am a fan of reverse image camera off the aft deck.* I fequently single hand Private Idaho and this is quite helpful in close quarters.

Pep boys was selling auto rear view cameras , wireless, for about $75 on sale.

Pineapple Girl wrote:

Avista wrote:

One of our dock neighbors let us in to their solution to this problem.* Forget left and right or port and starbaord, who are your dock neighbors?* We have a*HUGE sailboat on the T at the end of our dock and a party boat*at the base of the ramp so our neighbors use "Little Bear" (big sailboat) and "Gentleman Jack" as their directions instead of port and starboard.* "two feet towards Little Bear" "steer more towards Gentleman Jack"...* YMMV

The Admiral has reviewed my post and would like me to let you know that I 'speaking tongue-in-cheek" and she very well knows difference between port and* starboard.*
OK dear????

Avista wrote:

The Admiral has reviewed my post and would like me to let you know that I 'speaking tongue-in-cheek" and she very well knows difference between port and* starboard.*
OK dear????

LOL Maybe YOU are the one that gets confused???*
wink.gif
* Throw in one person facing a different direction and trying to use port and starboard is a recipe for disaster!

Pineapple Girl wrote:

*Throw in one person facing a different direction and trying to use port and starboard is a recipe for disaster!
Wait just a minute.* Port or starboard doesn't change whatever*the direction a person is facing.

markpierce wrote:

Pineapple Girl wrote:

Throw in one person facing a different direction and trying to use port and starboard is a recipe for disaster!
Wait just a minute.* Port or starboard doesn't change whatever*the direction a person is facing.CORRECT. Using left/right does not work if a person is facing differently. That is I'm sure why the terms port and starboard originated, to avoid confusion.

Carey wrote:

markpierce wrote:

Pineapple Girl wrote:

Throw in one person facing a different direction and trying to use port and starboard is a recipe for disaster!
Wait just a minute.* Port or starboard doesn't change whatever*the direction a person is facing.CORRECT. Using left/right does not work if a person is facing differently. That is I'm sure why the terms port and starboard originated, to avoid confusion.

Yes of course but if one person is facing backwards and says starboard, do they really MEAN starboard or are they confused and really meant port?* If the person hearing starboard doesn't trust the person saying it to know port from starboard (see the post that started this, now retracted
wink.gif
), then things can get ugly.*

"Did*s/he*MEAN starboard? But s/he facing backwards so maybe s/he means port...?!?* SHOOT, which way do I need to go????"* CRASH...*
confuse.gif

As I believe*Carey had in his siggy*-- the problem with communication is the illusion it has taken place!

thus our friend's solution of referring to nearby boats instead of port and starboard.* Even if Little Bear is not actually THERE, both husband and wife know "turn towards Little Bear" means port.* or get a back up camera.* My husband would be too busy looking at the screen to steer so it wouldn't help us.*
smile.gif
* We are so great at communicating that we don't need a camera anyhow.* That or those Mr Clean Magic Erasers work REALLY well on dock scuff marks.

MarkPierce wrote:
Wait just a minute.* Port or starboard doesn't change whatever*the direction a person is facing.

Yea right Mark, you ever been married??

-- Edited by timjet on Friday 18th of February 2011 05:35:24 PM

timjet wrote:

Yea right Mark, you ever been married??
Twice divorced (I filed).

Back
Top Bottom